Skip to main content
URI Marching Band

Deferral vs. Reactivation

Deferral Policy

Admitted students who do not enroll for the semester into which they were admitted may choose to “defer” their enrollment by one semester. This applies only to students who received an acceptance to URI.  Simply complete the following steps:

  • Complete the deferral form (click here for the form).
  • Submit final high school transcript, or if you have earned or will earn college credits, college transcript for your most recent semester. Transcripts must be official.
  • Pay your non-refundable $300 enrollment deposit. Please include your deposit check or money order with your deferral form.

If you decide not to attend the University after you have registered for the semester, you will be unable to defer your admission unless you properly withdraw from the classes. If the semester has already started and you have not properly withdrawn from your classes, you will be held responsible for a portion of your charges in accordance with the University refund schedule for that semester.

Click here to complete the online housing application. Housing assignments for January applicants will not be made until December.

Please understand that it may take up to three weeks to process your request for deferral. If your deferral is not approved, your deposit will be refunded.

Deferral Deadlines:

January 15: to defer to the spring semester
August 1: to defer to the fall semester


Q: If I was awarded a scholarship, will I still be able to keep it?

A. Scholarships will be reviewed on an individual basis and may or may not be awarded depending upon available funding.

Q. If I was awarded a financial aid package, will that remain the same?

A. Yes, if you were admitted for the fall semester and are deferring to the spring semester. However, if you were admitted for the spring semester and are deferring to the fall, you will need to file the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year.

Q: Will I be admitted for the same program?

A: In most cases yes, however, due to space limitations, students admitted to the following programs are not eligible for deferral:

  • Nursing
  • Kinesiology (Exercise Science; Health Fitness and Early Contingent Physical Therapy)
  • Pharmacy (0-6 Pharm.D.)

Also, if admission requirements for a particular major have changed since you were admitted, your application will be reviewed again for this major.

Q: What if I need to delay my enrollment for a year?

A.  Requests for deferral beyond one semester are generally granted only for students who have encountered circumstances beyond their control which have prevented them from attending (i.e. illness, accident, family tragedy, or military deployment). You must complete the deferral request form and submit documentation regarding the reason for the deferral, such as physician's orders or military orders). You must pay the enrollment deposit, which will be refunded if the deferral is not approved.

Please note: there are no refunds on any deposits after May 1. Deposits for the spring semester are non-refundable.


Reactivation Policy

The Common Application allows students to submit only one application within a calendar year. Some students who apply to URI but are not admitted may be eligible to reactivate their application for the following semester. You may be eligible for reactivation if:

  1. A decision was not made on your application because you withdrew it or it was incomplete.
  2. You were denied admission, but you now have new academic information to present (i.e. a higher GPA or additional course work).

To reactivate your application, you must:

  1. Complete the reactivation form and submit it with the $65.00 application fee.
  2. If you haven't already done so, send us your official final high school transcript, and if you were enrolled at another college, your official college transcript including your most recent semester of enrollment.

Please note: this policy does not pertain to students who were enrolled at URI and then left the University. In that case, students must apply for "readmission" to their degree program through Enrollment Services and/or the dean of the college at URI in which they were enrolled at the time they left the university.