Skip to main content
URI Marching Band

Frequently Asked Questions



If you have any questions that are not
answered on our site, please click here

to email us.

Translate this page:

Q. Why am I unable to create my E-Campus account?
A. In order to create your account, your internet browser properties must be set to English


Q. Is there a separate application for international students?
A. No. All applicants, both freshman and transfer, should complete the Common Application

    and URI supplement which you can find at URI Admission web site.

Q. Does the University of Rhode Island require applicants to submit official documents?
A. Yes. All applicants must send official secondary school records (and if you are a transfer

     student, post-secondary records). Original documents or certified true copies of originals

     are considered official. If the documents are not in English, you must submit both the

     original and a certified English translation. If applicable, students must provide official

     results and certificates of completion from national secondary examinations. These

     must arrive in an envelope that has been stamped and sealed by a school official or

     uploaded electronically to the Common Application by that official.

Q. Must freshman applicants submit official results of an SAT or ACT?
A. Freshman applicants are not required to submit the results of an SAT or ACT.

    However, for merit scholarship consideration we recommend that these scores

    be submitted.

Q. Must I take the TOEFL or IELTS examinations if I want to be considered for regular

A. For regular admission, applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate

    proficiency in English. URI will accept the official results of a TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson

    Test of English. If you completed 4 years in an English-speaking school and earned high

    grades in your English courses, this proficiency requirement may be waived.

Q. Must I take the TOEFL or IELTS examinations if I want to be considered for conditional

A. For conditional admission, applicants do not need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS. These

    students will be considered for conditional admission based upon their academic

    achievement. Conditionally admitted students will be required to study English at the

    A.C.E. English Language Institute on the URI campus and complete up through level 6

    of the English language program  before they can enter URI directly.

Q. Will the University of Rhode Island accept faxed, scanned, or photocopied documents

    and/or standardized test scores?
A. No.

Q. Will I receive transfer credit for foreign university coursework?
A. In most cases, as an international transfer student, transcripts of your university studies

    must be formally evaluated by a URI-recommended credential evaluation agency. Official

    course descriptions (in English) may be requested by the head of your department before

    transfer credit is awarded.

Q. If I already have achieved a bachelor's degree, may I apply for another undergraduate

A. Yes, you would apply as a transfer student.

Q. I am looking for a Master's and/or PhD. Do I send my application to the Undergraduate

    Admission office?
A. No. You should contact Graduate Admission to apply to these programs.

Q. Is it possible to receive academic credit for high scores on the AP exams or IB tests?
A. Yes. See our web site for course equivalencies.

Q. Is it possible to receive academic credit for superior results on certain secondary

    school-leaving examinations?
A. In some countries, superior results on final examinations demonstrate a level of

    achievement beyond most standard high school programs. Final credit will be

    determined by the student's academic department at URI on an individual basis.

Q. What is the process for obtaining a student visa?
A. If you are accepted to URI and choose to enroll, you will need to provide documented

    proof of financial responsibility to the Office of International Students and Scholars.

    Once the Office of International Students and Scholars receives the required information,

    they will send you an I-20 student visa form. You must then make an appointment to

    apply for a student visa at an American embassy or consulate.

Q. Is housing on campus guaranteed for international students?
A. Yes. All international students who pay their enrollment and housing deposits on time

    are guaranteed on campus housing.

Advanced credit information

AP and IB Credit Information

Check on your APPLICATION

How to check the status of your application

Student Spotlight

Two years ago, Amandine Umutoni Gatali was sitting at her computer in Pretoria, South Africa, trying to figure out where to go to college.  Read more..

helpful links for international students


Rhode Island

State Government

Local Weather

Live Webcam

Exciting news!

The University of Rhode Island was recognized for our outstanding and innovative efforts in campus internationalization.