Keys to a Successful Advising Relationship
will meet with an academic advisor at least once a semester regarding
registration. Good Questions to Ask During Registration Appointment
- How many credits should I be taking this semester?
- Am on track to graduate in four years time?
- Can you help me develop a well-balanced schedule both timewise, and according to my aptitudes?
- What are the advantages of taking summer courses?
- What if the courses you recommend are closed? Can you provide some alternatives?
- If I forget to ask you something today, is it okay to email you if I can’t get another appointment before I register?
it’s not required, we urge you to meet with your advisor at least
once beyond the typical bi-annual registration appointment regarding
career planning issues. Consider asking advisors some or all of the
questions on the list below:
- What inspired you to study your discipline?
- At what point did you know that you would pursue a career in your field?
- What kind of research do you do?
- Do you keep in touch with any former students? What have they done upon graduation?
- What are your insights about career paths or opportunities within your fields?
- What advice would you give someone interested in your field?
- In what other careers I could utilize this degree outside of the obvious choices?
- What skills and competencies should I focus on developing in and out of the classroom?
- What kind of academic internships should I pursue? Are there any practicums or independent studies you would recommend?
- What kind of research projects could I get involved in as an undergraduate?
- What other recommendations would you make?
Take the time to prepare for your advising appointment by:
- Becoming familiar with academic standards and practices
- Reading about your major's course requirements, found on the web
- Thinking about how you can customize your program to your own goals and interests
- Planning early for exciting options like study abroad, national
student exchange, full-time internships etc.
What if I just have a quick question and haven't made an appointment?
Check out our FAQ'S or come to "Walk-in Advising". University College for Academic Success's "Walk-in Advising"
is designed for students with quick questions, not for long term
advising. The following are appropriate topics for "Walk-in Advising". This service is available daily from 9:00-11:30 am and 1:00-3:00pm in Room 108, Roosevelt Hall.
- General Education Information
- Registration Information
- Adding/Dropping a course
- Second Grade Option Information
- Transfer Credit, Summer Courses, and Prior Approval Procedures
- Internship or Study Abroad questions
- Withdrawals/Leave of Absences