Scholarships and Awards
For questions about specific scholarships or awards, please contact the Fine Arts Center main office at (401) 874-5821 or
Jesse M. Simmons Memorial Scholarship in Art
Through the URI Foundation and the estate of Antoinette H. Simmons, the department awards scholarships to incoming and current students showing talent in painting and having financial need. Eligibility: A promising freshman or incoming studio major in painting who shows exceptional merit; outstanding artistic achievement and promise in painting for a sophomore or junior art major. The awards committee consists of three faculty members from any of the following areas: painting, drawing, printmaking, film, photography, and digital art. Recipients may not receive an award more than twice in a three year period.
- Outstanding high school record;
- GPA of 3.0 in studio art courses for two semesters prior to the period of the award.
- Must have financial need as identified by the University Financial Aid office.
- Must plan to remain an art major at the University of Rhode Island.
David Ketner Award
David Ketner taught drawing and painting at URI and died in 1986. A fund was established in his memory to give an annual cash award to a promising junior studio major. With the generous help of alumni and friends we have been able to give awards every year to one or two students during the awards ceremony at the Annual Student Exhibition.
- Must enter work in the Annual Student Exhibition.
- Two outside jurors select the winning work along with fifteen Excellence Awards.