Established in 1988 to encourage New England professional visual artists to address the issues of the environment of the ocean and its coastal communities. Grants are intended to assist individual and collaborating artists whose works are related to themes of the marine environment. Curatorial proposals will be considered. A total of $3,000 in grants is awarded annually.
For past Sea Grant awardees please click here
A maximum of ten (10) digital images of recent work.
- Digital entries should be saved in RGB color Mode, in JPEG file format, and be readable by Apple Macintosh platforms. (Zip large files, folders of images and docs.)
- Each digital image should be approximately 1024 pixels on it's longest side (in width or height), and be no larger than 3MB each.
- Save the file name of each image as follows: " image number_your initials_brief title.jpg " ( for example: 01_VLM_seashore.jpg, 02_VLM_seaweed.jpg )
Videos: include the web address if your video can be viewed on your website, YouTube or Vimeo.)
Include the following four (4) documents in pdf or .doc form (file names should include your name and resume, imagelist, etc):
1. A current 1-page resume. (include all contact information)
2. A list of your images on 1-page: identify each work with file #, title, date, medium, dimensions
3. A brief statement, outlining the objective of the proposal, relevance of the work to ocean environments, and the relationship of the proposal to your past work.
4. An Itemized budget including: supplies, services and support personnel.
Application deadline: May 20
Previous recipients of Sea Grant awards are not eligible for five years. Individuals enrolled as
undergraduate or graduate students are not eligible. Proposals will be reviewed by a panel of Rhode Island professionals in the visual arts. Award winners will be notified by September, 2014. A written report of the results of creative activities supported by Sea Grant, including appropriate documentation, is required at the conclusion of the project.
Download: Sea Grant Flyer for 2014