Faculty Research Grants
Grants are available to assist faculty in the humanities who expect to incur specific research costs, such as costs associated with travel to archives, the purchase of technology, payment for translations, and obtaining documents for study. Attendance at scholarly conferences will not be considered as an eligible cost. Research grants are awarded for amounts up to a maximum of $1,000 per year. Emeriti and adjunct professors are not eligible. Preference will be given to new submissions rather than funding the same project twice within the same fiscal year.
Please submit an electronic copy of your application to the Center Director. Your application should include the following:
- A cover sheet with the title of your project, your name, phone number, address, e-mail, and department;
- An explanation of the scope of your project and its importance for furthering knowledge in your specific field and for the humanities in general;
- A brief curriculum vitae (3 pages maximum);
- A budget outlining how Center funds are to be spent;
- A timetable for completing the research.
Additionally, please mail or hand-deliver a hard copy of your application to:
Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
University of Rhode Island, Center for the Humanities
Swan Hall, 175G
Kingston, RI 02881
The deadline for applications for Faculty Research Grants for Fall is November 5th
and for Spring it is April 15th
. Deadlines falling on a weekend are extended to the following Monday.
Award recipients will be expected to acknowledge the Center's assistance in any publications or exhibitions that result from the research. They will also be required to provide a final report to the Director. Recipients will be expected to adhere to applicable URI travel and purchase policies. Should you receive a grant, the funds will be transferred to your department for administration.
For more information, you may call the Director at 874-5700.