Faculty Sabbatical Fellowships
Fellows are chosen from among those faculty members awarded sabbatical leaves for one or both semesters of the next academic year and who will be doing research in the humanities. Each Faculty Sabbatical Fellow will receive up to $1,750 as a supplement to his or her normal sabbatical leave remuneration, to be used in ways that further the sabbatical leave research project. Faculty Sabbatical Fellows will be appointed for the entire academic year, even though official sabbatical leave may be for a shorter period. Preference will be given to new submissions rather than funding the same project twice within the same fiscal year.
Please submit an electronic copy of your application to the Center Director. Your application should include:
- A cover page that includes the title of your project, your name, department, phone number, address, and e-mail address;
- A copy of your sabbatical leave application;
- A statement, avoiding special terminology associated with your field, of how the fellowship will enhance your sabbatical research (no more than 2 pages);
- An explanation of how your research is a humanities project;
- A list of the URI course or courses that will incorporate your sabbatical research;
- A brief curriculum vita (no more than three pages).
Additionally, please mail or hand-deliver a copy of your application to:
Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
University of Rhode Island, Center for the Humanities
Swan Hall, 175G
Kingston, RI 02881
The deadline for applications for Faculty Sabbatical Fellowships for Fall is November 5th
and for Spring it is April 15th
. Deadlines falling on a weekend are extended to the following Monday.
Humanities Faculty Sabbatical Fellows will be required to:
- Give a public lecture that discusses the scholarly results of the sabbatical leave (sponsored by the Center and announced to the URI community)
- Offer in the curriculum an undergraduate or graduate course that incorporates the research results of the sabbatical;
- Submit a final report to the Center痴 Director within three months of completing the sabbatical.
(Any publication or exhibition of the sabbatical research should acknowledge the support of the URI Center for the Humanities.)
For more information, you may call the Director at 874-5700.