Graduate Research Grants
Graduate Research Grants in the Humanities up to a maximum of $1,000 are available to students working toward the completion of master theses and doctoral dissertations within the traditional humanities disciplines, as well as from other disciplines provided the research is clearly grounded in the humanities. All applicants must be enrolled for thesis or dissertation credits at the time of the grant award and must be making steady progress toward completion of the thesis or dissertation. Applicants who have received funding previously from the Center for the same project are not eligible.
Criteria for selecting the fellows are:
- The significance of the project to knowledge in the specific field;
- The significance of the project to knowledge of the humanities in general;
- The quality of the project, including its conception, organization, methodology, and description;
- The likelihood of timely completion of the project.
Please submit an electronic copy of your application to the Center Director: Galen A. Johnson, email@example.com
. Your application (typed & double-spaced) must include:
- A cover sheet with your project title, name, phone number, address, e-mail, department, and name of the faculty advisor;
- An overview of your research project including a statement about how the research will further knowledge of the humanities in general (no more than two pages);
- A supporting bibliography;
- A research plan with timetable for completing the project (no more than one page);
- A general project budget, including an explanation of how the Center funds will be used;
- A letter of support from the faculty advisor assessing the significance and quality of the project and the student likelihood of completing it in a timely manner
Additionally, please mail or hand-deliver your application to:
Dr. Galen A. Johnson
University of Rhode Island, Center for the Humanities
Swan Hall, 175G
Kingston, RI 02881
The deadline for applications for Graduate Research Grants for Spring 2013 is April 15, 2013
For more information, you may call the Director at 874-5700.