COM 471/472 Student Guidelines and Requirements
- You MUST have completed 18 Communication Studies credits to be eligible for this internship.
- Your OVERALL GPA should be a 2.5.
- Please realize that you are asking to get university credit which means you will be responsible to pay as you would for any course being taken at the university.
- A student can receive from 1 (min.) to 6 (max.) ELECTIVE credits which is equivalent to working at the internship site 40-45 hours per credit (1 cr. = 40-45 hrs, 2 cr. = 80-90 hrs., 3 cr. = 120-135 hrs., etc.) credits will go towards the 42 credits of 300+ course FREE ELECTIVES.
- Upon your eligibility to participate in this course, the Internship Coordinator will advise you as to the paper work to be completed by you; Internship Application, Student Learning Contract with waiver, and the Supervisor's Contract with waiver.
- Once you are approved to do this internship, the Internship Coordinator (Sharman Brown) will be your faculty advisor for this experience.
- If ALL requirements are successfully completed a satisfactory grade will be recorded.
- DEADLINE DATES: for Fall & Spring semesters, the Friday of the first full week back; Summer, the last day to register for the second summer session
Expectations Once You Have Started Your Internship
- A WEEKLY e-mail report of your activities and hours at your internship site.
- A MID-TERM PAPER submitted at the halfway point of your internship.
- The Internship Coordinator will be sending your supervisor a MID-TERM QUESTIONAIRE to complete and return about your activities at the internship.
- A FINAL PAPER about your whole internship experience.
- If you are enrolled in the internship course during the Fall or Spring semester you are to attend 3 events/functions with the Career Services Office within the semester of your internship. This could be workshops, career/job fairs, individual career counseling appointments, quick questions. The Internship Coordinator, as well as the Career Services Office, have forms for you to complete to show you have participated in at least 3 events/functions. You can go to the Career Services web site: Located on the Second Floor, Roosevelt Hall, 874-2311.