Dr. Evelyn Sterne
Director of Graduate Studies
Ph.D., Duke University
B.A., Yale University
Twentieth-century U.S., religion, immigration, politics and labor.
- HIS 142 – History of the United States Since 1877
- HIS 340 – History of the United States, 1914-41
- HIS 346 – Immigration, Ethnicity and Race in American History
- HIS 357 – History of Religion in the United States
- HIS 441 – Topics in U.S. Immigration History
- HIS 495 – Seminar in History
- HIS 507 – Graduate Seminar in American History (Politics and Society in the Cold War Era)
- HIS 507 – Graduate Seminar in American History (Religion and Politics in American History)
Ballots and Bibles: Ethnic Politics and the Catholic Church in Providence.
Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2003.
“Beyond the Boss: Immigration and American Political Culture, 1880-1940,” in E Pluribus Unum? Contemporary and Historical Perspectives on Immigrant Political Incorporation
, ed. Gary Gerstle and John Mollenkopf. New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 2001.
“Bringing Religion into Working-Class History: Parish, Public and Politics in Providence, 1890-1930.” Social Science History
24:1 (Spring 2000): 149-82.
Department of History
University of Rhode Island
80 Upper College Road, Suite 3
Kingston, RI 02881
Office: 217B Washburn
News and Events
URI History Student and Cithara: here
Watch interview of WWII veteran of the Battle of the Bulge created by Gregory Gentile here
Students interested in joining Phi Alpha Theta, the National History Honor Society, please click here
New report finds U.S. History majors Highest Earners in Humanities
Read the Blog entry here
'Historian' Among Top Ten Jobs
The job historian is ranked as one of the top 10 careers in a recent survey discussed in the Wall Street Journal. See the story here
Links and Info