URI Anthropology Society
Lambda Alpha Honor Society
Lambda Alpha is the national honors organization for anthropology; the name "Lambda Alpha" is derived from the Greek words "Logos Anthropou," meaning "tthe study of man." The Alpha Rhode Island Chapter at the University of Rhode Island was founded in 2012 and is the first in Rhode Island. The society is student run, by members holding the offices of President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
Officers are elected during the Spring Semester for the upcoming school year, so if you would like to hold a position please contact the current officers as early as possible.
Benefits of Lambda Alpha Membership:
- Membership in a national honors organization is beneficial for your resume. This is a lifetime membership, and you may list it among your honors/affiliations indefinitely.
- Members of Lambda Alpha may submit their work for publication in the national Journal (see department secretary for details if you are interested).
- The National Executive Office provides sizable scholarships each year to two outstanding undergraduate members nationally.
- Members are eligible to purchase the Lambda Alpha Honors stole and/or pin to wear at commencement.
- Must be a junior or senior
- Must have taken a minimum of 12 Anthropology course credits
- Must have a minimum of 3.0 (B) cumulative overall GPA, and a major GPA of at least 3.3 (B+).
Joining Lambda Alpha:
- Lifetime membership dues are $25.00 (includes certificate and membership card).
- The Anthropology Department office, along with Lambda Alpha officers, solicits new members for Lambda Alpha once a year. Anthropology majors meeting the requirements listed above will be contacted by the department.
- Any interested students are welcome to contact the current society officers and/or adviser.
- New members are accepted once every semester which totals twice in an academic year.
Current Officers of 2012-13
President: Jocelyn Hopkins
Contact at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Adviser: Dr. Peters
Contact at: email@example.com
News & Announcements
Excellence in Research
Carlos Garcia-Quijano was selected to receive the 2013 Early Career Faculty Reseach Award in the Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities.Kudos to him!
Leo Carroll, firstname.lastname@example.org
Justice, Law & Society Minor Coordinator
Professor Leo Carroll, email@example.com
Theresa Nobile, firstname.lastname@example.org