Guide to Navigating Sakai
To login on to Sakai you can either:
- Go to: https://sakai.uri.edu/portal/
- Or go to the URI Homepage and Select "Sakai" from the menu at the bottom of the page
Log on using your same user id and password for your URI email
You will be brought to “Your Workspace.” Any classes you have will be listed as “Tab” at the top of the page.
The menu for each workspace appears on the top left of the page.
- Announcements: Used to inform site participants about current items of interest. Announcements can have multiple attachments, such as documents or URLs.
- Assignments: Allows instructors to create, distribute, collect, and grade online assignments. Assignments are private; student submissions are not visible to other users of the site.
- Chat Room: Can be used for real-time chats between site participates.
- Drop Box: Allows instructors and students to share documents within a private folder for each student. The Drop Box works like Resources to allow you to upload many types of files and multiple files at a time. The Drop Box also allows nested folders (folders within folders).
- Forums: Communication tool for online postings and discussions. For online courses, weekly discussions take place in the "Forums."
- Gradebook: Tool for instructors to calculate and store grade information and distribute it to students online.
- Messages: Internal course email tool. Be sure to click the box that requests message to be sent to email address of recipient(s).
- Modules: A tool for instructors to present resources such as lecture materials.
- Resources: A way to share many kinds of material securely with members of your site. You can upload files (e.g., word processing documents, spreadsheets, slide presentations, and videos), as well as create and post HTML (web) pages and simple text documents, and share links to useful web sites.
- Schedule: The calendar function on Sakai.