Faculty and Staff
Heather Johnson, Ph.D.
W: 12:00 - 1:00 and by appointment
Degrees:University of California, Berkeley; Trinity College, Dublin (Ireland); University of Edinburgh (Scotland)
First-year composition; argument; writing culture; feminist studies.
Courses Recently Taught: WRT 104, WRT 105, WRT 201
- "Metafiction, Myth and Magical Realism", chapter in Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus, ed. Helen Stoddart (Routledge, 2007).
- “Dangerous Skin: Bees and Female Figuration in Plath and Maher” in Insect Poetics, ed. Eric C. Brown (University of Minnesota Press, 2006).
- “'A hoary gleam': Jane Eyre and William Gaddis' American Gothic” in Litteraria Pragensia (journal of Charles University's English and American Studies Department), Feb. 2005.
- “Supporting economically disadvantaged students in Ireland: the Oscail experience”, with D. Bancroft in Access and Equity : Challenges for Open and Distance Learning eds. H.P. Dikshit, S. Garg, S. Panda and Vijayshri (Kogan Page India, 2002).
- “Textualizing the Double-Gendered Body: Forms of the Grotesque in The Passion of New Eve” in Angela Carter ed Angela Easton (Macmillan, 2000); and The Review of Contemporary Fiction, 14: 3 (Fall 1994).
Teaching Fellow, University of Rhode Island Teaching Fellows Program, 2007-2008; former Director, Scottish Universities International Summer School; past member of editorial board, Gothic Studies