page content university navigation catalog navigation footer
Cover Photo 2007-2008 Catalog Online

Course Descriptions:


Previous | Next

Enrollment Services


Matriculated Full-Time Students

Matriculated Part-Time Students

Additional Fees

Late and Special Fees

Tuition Waivers

Housing and Dining Options and Fees

Communications Fees

University Refund Policies

Financial Aid

Graduate Fellowships, Assistantships, and Scholarships


This section discusses the University’s fees, expenses,financial aid, and registration for students.

Tuition, fees, and policies set forth in this catalog are subject to change without notice. All charges are billed by the semester and are due and payable upon receipt of the bill or by the due date indicated on the bill.

The amount of tuition and fees varies depending on whether the student is matriculated or nonmatriculated, on whether the student is enrolled in full- or part-time study, on whether the student is a legal resident of the state of Rhode Island, and on course sponsorship.

Matriculated and Nonmatriculated Students. All students who are seeking undergraduate degrees at the University must be admitted to matriculated status by the Undergraduate Admission Office. Students who have received their baccalaureates and who wish to earn graduate degrees at the University must be admitted by the Graduate School as matriculated students. Persons who wish to enroll for courses at the University but are not interested in pursuing degrees must register as nonmatriculated students. See the Undergraduate and Graduate admission sections for application procedures.

Full-Time and Part-Time Students. Matriculated undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credits per semester are considered full-time students. Matriculated graduate students enrolled in nine or more credits per semester and teaching and research assistants are also considered full-time students.

Matriculated undergraduate students enrolled in 1 to 11 credits are considered part-time students. Matriculated graduate students enrolled in 1 to 8 credits who are not teaching/research assistants are also considered part-time students.

Resident, Nonresident, and Regional Students. A student who is a resident of the state of Rhode Island pays the in-state fee, but a student from another state or a foreign country who is in Rhode Island primarily for educational purposes, even though he or she remains in the state during vacation periods, is considered a nonresident and pays the out-of-state fee.

A minor student’s parents or legal guardians must have been residents of the state for one year immediately preceding the first class day of the first term of a student’s registration, in order for that student to claim resident student status. A nonresident student who reaches 18 years of age while a student does not, by virtue of that fact alone, become a resident student.

An “emancipated student” must establish the same bona fide residency for in-state tuition exemption. An emancipated student is one who has attained the age of 18, and whose parents have entirely surrendered the right to the care, custody, and earnings of the student and have not claimed the student as a dependent for tax purposes for two years. If any of these conditions is not met, he or she is presumed to be an unemancipated student.

A member of the armed forces (on active duty) or his or her spouse stationed in the state on military orders shall be entitled to classification as a resident student during any semester, the first class day of which is encompassed by the orders.

Undergraduate students are classified as resident or nonresident by the dean of admission. A student may appeal the decision to the Board of Residency Review. Some international high school students who have lived in Rhode Island for at least one year and who meet particular requirements (laid out in the regulations adopted by the Board of Governors for Higher Education) may be eligible to pay in-state tuition and fees.

Graduate students are classified as resident or nonresident by the dean of the Graduate School. A certificate of residence is included in the graduate self-managed application package.

Regional status is granted to students enrolled in the New England Regional Student Program, whereby students from other New England states may enroll in designated programs at URI that are not offered in their own states (see page 32).

Course Sponsorship. Courses offered through the University’s Kingston campus are considered Kingston-sponsored (except those offered at night). ASFCCE-sponsored courses are those courses offered through the Alan Shawn Feinstein College of Continuing Education at Kingston, Providence, and satellite locations.


Matriculated Full-Time Students

Tuition Per Year

Undergraduate (ASFCCE and Kingston)

Rhode Island residents $6,440

Out-of-state residents 21,294

Regional students

 admitted prior to fall 2006 9,660

 admitted fall 2006 or later 11,270

Graduate (ASFCCE and Kingston)

Rhode Island residents $6,936

Out-of-state residents 19,044

Regional students 10,404

Mandatory Fees Per Year

(1) Full-time undergraduate students enrolled in seven or more Kingston-sponsored credits, graduate students enrolled in five or more Kingston-sponsored credits, and graduate teaching and research assistants:


Registration Fee $50

Student Health Services Fee 428

Student Services Fee 1,266

Accident/Sickness Insurance 973(may be waived with proof of comparable coverage)

TOTAL $2,717


Registration Fee $50

Student Health Services Fee 428

Student Services Fee 1,030

Accident/Sickness Insurance 973(may be waived with proof of comparable coverage)

TOTAL $2,481

(2) Full-time undergraduate students enrolled in less than seven Kingston-sponsored credits and graduate students enrolled in less than five Kingston-sponsored credits, who are not teaching or research assistants:

Undergraduates and Graduates

Registration Fee $50

ASFCCE Activity Fee 40



Matriculated Part-Time Students

Tuition Per Credit

Undergraduate (ASFCCE and Kingston)

Rhode Island residents $268

Out-of-state residents 887

Regional students

 admitted prior to fall 2006 402

 admitted fall 2006 or later 469

Graduate (ASFCCE and Kingston)

Rhode Island residents $385

Out-of-state residents 1,058

Regional students 578

Mandatory Fees Per Semester

(1) Part-time undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in only Kingston-sponsored courses:

Registration Fee $25

Activity Fee 23 (undergraduate students only)Graduate Tax 5 (graduate students only)

Student Services Fee

Undergraduate $49 per credit

Graduate $48 per credit

(2) Part-time undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in only ASFCCE-sponsored courses:

ASFCCE Activity Fee $20

Registration Fee 25

(3) Part-time undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in ASFCCE and Kingston-sponsored courses:

ASFCCE Activity Fee $20

Registration Fee 25

Activity Fee 23

(undergraduate students only)

Graduate Tax 5 (graduate students only)

Student Services Fee (Kingston-sponsored courses only)

Undergraduate $49 per credit

Graduate $48 per credit

Nonmatriculated Students

Tuition Per Credit Non-

Resident Resident

001-499 Level Courses $268 $887

500 Level and Above Courses 385 1,058

Mandatory Fees Per Semester

Registration Fee $ 25

Activity Tax 15

Student Services Fee

(Kingston-sponsored courses only)

Undergraduate $49 per credit

Graduate $48 per credit

Mandatory Fees

Student Services Fee. This fee is mandatory for all full-time students enrolled at the Kingston campus, both undergraduate and graduate. The student services fee covers the cost of the Memorial Union, transportation, and capital projects. The undergraduate fee supports funds that are distributed to the Student Senate for a wide variety of student programs and activities. It also supports athletics and recreation. The fee paid by full-time graduate students supports the above and, instead of the undergraduate Student Senate, the Graduate Student Association.

Health Services Fee. The health fee is mandatory for all full-time Kingston undergraduate and graduate students, and optional for matriculating students at the Alan Shawn Feinstein College of Continuing Education. All international students are assessed this fee regardless of enrollment location. Part-time, matriculating students who choose to receive their health care at URI Health Services can be assessed this fee upon request, as well as the student accident/sickness insurance fee (which may be waived with proof of comparable coverage). The health fee covers the cost of the following:

• routine office visits with URI staff providers (the full cost of visits if insurance doesn’t cover the cost and/or co-pay expenses in situations where insurance covers a portion),

• ambulance/emergency transport services (by URI EMS),

• pharmacy (most over-the-counter medicines, small co-pay for prescriptions for acute care, medications for chronic conditions at 50 percent of cost),

• administrative services provided at Health Services, and

• health education.

Accident/Sickness Insurance. It is URI policy that full-time Kingston students as well as all international students and their dependents have current health insurance to provide coverage for unexpected, extended, and expensive care resulting from accidents and illnesses that are not covered by the Student Health Services fee. All full-time Kingston students and all international students and their dependents are required to purchase school health insurance unless evidence of comparable coverage in another plan is provided to the University through a completed waiver form. Waivers are done on line at Questions should be referred to the Health Services Insurance Office at 401-874-4755.

To waive the Accident/Sickness Insurance, a student must complete and electronically submit the waiver to Health Services each year, prior to the end of the add period (the first two weeks of classes). Unless the waiver is received and accepted, the student is responsible for the billed amount. The Accident/Sickness Insurance is optional for non-international part-time matriculating students and ASFCCE matriculating students. Students who elect insurance coverage through the University are also required to pay the Health Services fee each semester that they are registered students, regardless of the number of credits they are carrying.


Additional Fees

Books and Supplies. All students—both undergraduate and graduate—should expect extra expenses each academic year for books and supplies and should allow for additional expenditures for travel and personal needs.

Credit Overload. A credit overload fee will be charged to all matriculated undergraduate students who register and/or enroll in excess of 19 credits. This fee is equivalent to the per-credit rate given for part-time undergraduate students. Matriculated graduate students who register and/or enroll in excess of 15 credits will be billed at the per-credit rate given for graduate students. Students with combined enrollment at both the Kingston and ASFCCE campuses will also be assessed the credit overload fee if enrollment exceeds the credit limits stated above.

Enrollment Deposit. An enrollment deposit is required from all Kingston undergraduate students accepted and is applied to the first-term bill. In-state students pay a $150 deposit; out-of-state and regional students pay a $300 deposit. The fall term enrollment deposit is 100 percent refundable through May 1, 50 percent refundable through June 1, or 20 percent refundable through August 1, provided that the Admission Office is notified in writing of the student’s intention not to enroll. The spring term enrollment deposit is not refundable.

Returning Student Deposit. Undergraduate students returning after withdrawal are required to remit a nonrefundable returning student deposit of $50.

Off-Campus Study. Undergraduate students taking courses at another institution for credit at URI pay a fee of $293 per semester. (See page 27.)

Graduate Continuous Registration. Graduate students maintaining continuous enrollment and registered for no credit (CRG 999) are required to pay a fee of $410 per semester.

Transcripts. A transcript service fee of $35 is assessed to all students in their first semester of enrollment at the University.

Courses. A laboratory/clinical fee of $55 will be charged for each undergraduate and graduate laboratory or clinical course.

Undergraduate engineering students pay a program fee of $395 per semester for full-time students, $33 per credit for part-time students. Pharm.D. students pay a program fee of $2,250 per semester commencing in their third year.

Expenses connected with class trips and practice teaching are charged to the students concerned.

Students taking applied music courses, except for composition, are charged an additional fee of $105 for a one-credit course (half hour of a private lesson per week) and $200 for courses offering two, three, four, or six credits (one hour of a private lesson per week). Applied music courses for which students are charged an additional fee are MUS 110, 210, 310, 410, and 510.

Beginning in the sophomore year, student nurses must purchase authorized uniforms and nursing equipment. The approximate cost is $300.

Graduation. All newly matriculated students will be charged a one-time $45 fee for graduation documents. In addition, master’s degree candidates must pay a thesis-binding fee of $18, and doctoral candidates must pay dissertation-binding and microfilming fees of $88. These fees are due before candidates submit their theses or dissertations for approval by the Graduate School.


Late and Special Fees

Late Registration. A late registration fee of $75 is charged to students whose registration is not completed before the first Monday following the first day of classes.

Late Payment. Unpaid balances following the term bill due date are subject to late payment/billing penalties which are based upon the outstanding amount due. The penalty is also applied to students who register late effective as of the end of the add period (first two weeks of classes) until date of registration and payment. The late payment fee is not cancelled nor reduced without presentation of written evidence of University error signed by an official of the University. Late payment fees are: $10 per month if the balance is over $50 and under $400; $15 per month if the balance is between $400 and $999.99; $25 per month if the balance is $1,000 or more.

Returned Check. A $20 returned check fee is assessed with each check not accepted for deposit and returned by the bank.

University Monthly Payment Plan. The University offers a monthly payment plan to assist students and parents in meeting term bill obligations. A nonrefundable application fee is assessed upon enrollment. Please visit the Enrollment Services Web site at to review the current monthly payment plan application fees.

Partial Payment. A $30 fee is assessed when partial payments are received following the term bill due date.

Collection Agencies. Term bills which are not fully paid by the end of the semester are subject to collection activity by outside agencies.

Reassessment of Fees Policy. Fees are reassessed and adjusted according to credit enrollment, student status, residency, course level, and course sponsorship. This results from drop/add transactions and status changes processed by the registrar during the add period. The dropping of credits after the add period will not reduce term bills. Students anticipating fee adjustments must complete all drop/add transactions by the reassessment deadline. This policy pertains but is not limited to downward billing adjustments, including credit overload courses dropped; change in student status from full-time to part-time; part-time student dropping courses; and the assessment of program fees and lab/clinical fees, if charged.


Tuition Waivers

The University of Rhode Island accepts tuition waivers from senior citizens and unemployed individuals; prerequisites are described below. Students who qualify for waivers must apply for financial aid, and any aid received (except loans) must be applied toward the amount waived. Admission into particular courses is granted on a space-available basis and at the discretion of the institution. All other costs of attendance are to be paid by the individual student.

For Senior Citizens. Any Rhode Island resident senior citizen who submits evidence of being 60 years of age or over and of having a household income of less than three times the federal poverty level is allowed to take courses at any public institution of higher education in the state with the tuition waived.

For the Unemployed. Any individual who submits evidence of currently receiving unemployment benefits from the state of Rhode Island, of having a household income of less than three times the federal poverty level, and of not being claimed as a dependent by a parent (or someone else) will be allowed to pursue course work at any public institution of higher education in Rhode Island with the tuition and registration fee waived; this waiver also applies to any Rhode Island resident who submits evidence of residency and of currently receiving unemployment benefits in another state. To be eligible for the waiver, the student must have been collecting benefits within 60 days before the first day of classes.


Housing and Dining Options and Fees

A comprehensive description of the University’s undergraduate on-campus residence halls, suites, and apartments, and all associated housing fees, is available at To speak to a representative about on-campus housing for undergraduate students, please call 401-874-4151. Please note that residents of the University’s residence halls and suites are required to purchase a Resident Meal Plan. For more information on resident meal plan options and fees, please visit To speak to a representative about the University’s dining plans, please call 401-874-2055.

Housing and Dining Contract.The University’s Housing and Dining Contract is an annual and binding contract that is in effect for the entire academic year. Please note that a non-refundable housing fee is required at the time of application to reserve a room. The housing fee is $100 for new students and $250 for continuing students. This housing application fee will be applied toward the resident’s annual housing fee. Housing and dining fees for residents of the University’s residence halls, suites, and apartments will appear on each resident’s term bill; payment is due upon receipt of this bill. Checks should be made payable to the University of Rhode Island and should be sent or delivered to the Office of Enrollment Services.

Residents who elect to vacate the University’s residence halls, suites, or apartments before the end of the contract period, for any reason other than dismissal from the University, will be assessed a contract cancellation fee for both the housing and dining portions of their contract. In addition, they will be billed for their actual use of the housing facilities as well as their dining plan, in accordance with the respective housing and dining refund policy.

URI is a nonsectarian institution, and resources are not available to construct special diet kitchens for religious, health, or personal reasons. A nutritionist reviews extreme medical conditions. Some medical conditions may be accommodated. Residents requesting a medical variance from the meal plan requirement must submit for approval a Medical Variance Report, completed by a physician, to URI Dining Services. To obtain this application form, contact the Campus Access Office at 401-874-2055. The University housing and dining systems operate on a computerized entry system using URI student ID cards and hand geometry readers. The student ID must be presented at all resident dining facilities.


Communications Fees

There is a $532 communications fee assessed to each student in all dormitories/apartments except the condominiums.


University Refund Policies

Refunds of payments made or reductions in amounts due to the University shall be made to students who officially withdraw or take a leave of absence according to the following scale: during the first two weeks, 80 percent; during the third week, 60 percent; during the fourth week, 40 percent; during the fifth week, 20 percent; after five weeks, none.

Students receiving Federal Title IV funds, i.e., Federal Pell grants, Direct Stafford Loans, Perkins loans, Federal PLUS loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity grants, or other Title IV assistance programs are subject to the federal return of funds regulation. The regulation states that Federal Title IV funds must be returned according to a pro-rata formula based upon the amount of time spent in school up to the 60th percentile of attendance. Thereafter, federal disbursements are not adjusted. For example:

Assume that a student withdraws during the third week of school after attending 20 days and the term bill has been paid entirely by a Direct Stafford loan. If the semester consist of 100 days, 80 percent of the loan must be returned to the loan fund since the student only attended 20 percent of the semester. However, the student’s bill is reduced by only 60 percent per the University’s refund policy as stated above. The student will be responsible for the difference.

Personal payments and outside scholarships are not considered for refund until the term bill balance is fully paid.

Students who take a leave of absence are subject to the same federal return of Title IV funds policy as are students withdrawing from the University.

Attendance Period. For refund purposes under both policies, the attendance period begins on the first day of classes and ends on the official date of withdrawal or leave of absence. If an official date is not known, the last known date of attendance is used. Students who withdraw or take a leave of absence during the add period (the first two weeks of classes) are assessed tuition and fees based upon the highest number of credits for which they are registered during this period.

The Accident/Sickness Insurance fee is not refundable unless the fee is waived, regardless of the date of withdrawal, since the student is covered for the entire academic year. The fee is cancelled, however, if the student withdraws prior to the first day of classes.

Indebtedness to the University. Failure to make full payment of all required fees or to resolve other debts to the University (for example, unreturned athletic equipment, overdue short-term or emergency loans, lost library books, debts to the Department of Housing and Residential Life for damages, and obligations required by the University Student Discipline System) may result in denial of registration for the following semester and/or disenrollment. Appropriate departments will provide the student with notice of the debt, reason for it, and a review, if requested. Students must fulfill all financial obligations to the University before receiving transcripts or a diploma.


Financial Aid

Financial aid is money made available from federal, state, local, or private sources that helps students attend the postsecondary institutions of their choice. At the University of Rhode Island, these varied sources are administered by Enrollment Services in Green Hall. URI’s financial aid programs are designed to serve students from the widest possible range of society, and all students are encouraged to apply.

In most cases, financial aid will be awarded in a “package” of grants (which do not have to be repaid), loans (which have to be repaid), and student employment opportunities (part-time jobs while attending school). The purpose is to assist the students in meeting the costs of attending the University. To continue receiving financial aid, it is necessary to reapply and demonstrate sufficient financial need each year as well as to maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Financial aid to students is awarded without regard to race, sex, religion, age, color, creed, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation, and without discrimination against disabled and Vietnam-era veterans.

Financial Need. A student does not have to be from a low-income family to qualify for financial aid, but does have to have “financial need.” “Need” is the difference between what it costs to attend the University and what the student and family can contribute from financial resources. Parents, insofar as they are able, are expected to bear primary responsibility for financing a child’s college education, and the student is also expected to earn a portion of the resources for college expenses, usually through summer employment.

Eligibility. Only U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens are eligible to apply for financial aid. Foreign students desiring information about financial assistance should contact URI’s Office of International Students and Scholars.

To be considered for financial aid, a person must have been accepted and enrolled at least half time (6 credits for undergraduates, 4.5 for graduate students) as a matriculated student at the University. Enrolled students must be making satisfactory progress toward their degrees according to the University’s policy on satisfactory progress (see page 25).

In general, a student who already has received a baccalaureate degree is considered eligible for only those aid programs listed as available to graduate students. This applies even if the student is pursuing a second undergraduate degree. For more information, please check with an Enrollment Services counselor.

Application Procedure. To apply for financial aid, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available online at This form is also used to apply for state scholarships, including those for Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Residents of other states should check with their state scholarship or grant authority to inquire if another form is needed to apply for state scholarship funds.

The awarding of financial aid for the current academic year may require validation and documentation of all information submitted to Student Financial Assistance. Therefore, students must be prepared to submit the following information if asked: signed copies of their own and their parents’ last U.S. income tax returns 1040/1040A/1040EZ. When and if requested by Student Financial Assistance and Employment Services, all tax schedules must also be included.

Application Priority Dates. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid should be filed online at after January 1, and no later than March 1. Applications completed on or before March 1 will receive first consideration for financial aid awards; however, applications will be processed as long as funds remain available.

Federal Aid Available

Federal Pell Grants. The Pell Grant, available to undergraduates, is designed to form the foundation of all financial aid received. Each applicant is mailed a set of Student Aid Reports, a copy of which is electronically sent to Enrollment Services if URI 003414 was put on the FAFSA. The amount of the Pell Grant is calculated according to the cost of attendance, the number of credits for which the student enrolls, and the Pell Grant Index printed on the Student Aid Report.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. This program is intended to assist undergraduate students with the greatest financial need. First priority is given to students receiving Pell Grants.

Federal Perkins Loan. Eligibility is based on exceptional financial need. These loans have a simple interest rate of five percent annually. Interest does not accrue until nine months after graduation, termination of studies, or enrollment for less than half time.

Nursing Student Loan Program. This program is available to undergraduate students enrolled in the College of Nursing. Long-term, low-interest loans become due and payable nine months after graduation or termination of nursing studies. The loans are designed to help financially needy students attain careers in nursing.

Health Professions Student Loan Program. This loan program is restricted to undergraduate students with financial need majoring in pharmacy.

Federal Work-Study Program. This federally supported program provides undergraduates with part-time employment during the school term and full-time employment during vacation periods. The jobs may be either with University departments, or with off-campus, nonprofit, nonsectarian, and nonpolitical agencies. Other institutionally funded employment is also available.

Federal William D. Ford Direct Loan. All students who complete the FAFSA can participate in the William D. Ford Direct Loan program. Those students who meet the financial need criteria may receive in whole or in part a subsidized loan where the federal government pays all interest until six months after graduation, withdrawal, or a drop in enrollment status to less than half time. Unsubsidized loans are available for those students who do not qualify for the need-based subsidized William D. Ford loan. Those eligible to borrow under the unsubsidized William D. Ford Direct Loan program include independent undergraduate students, graduate and professional students, and certain dependent undergraduate students. The same terms and conditions as for subsidized William D. Ford loans apply, except that the borrower is responsible for the interest that accrues while the student is still in school.

Federal William D. Ford Direct Loan for Parents. Parents who have good credit may borrow up to the cost of education minus estimated and actual financial aid by submitting an application to Enrollment Services. If the loan is approved, it will be disbursed in multiple installments, usually at the beginning of each semester.

University Aid Available

University Grant. The University provides grants to over 1,000 undergraduate students. To be awarded a University Grant, the student must demonstrate financial need and a satisfactory academic record.

Arthur L. Hardge Memorial Grant. This grant is awarded to economically and socially disadvantaged undergraduate residents of Rhode Island who participate in Special Programs for Talent Development.

University Scholarships. Scholarship awards require not only financial need but evidence of high academic potential. Some scholarships have specific restrictions, such as place of residence, major, and class year. A list of available scholarships can be found at

Athletic Grants. These grants are made on the recommendation of the Athletics Department to athletes who meet established qualifications. These awards are based on athletic ability rather than on need. Students interested in such assistance should contact the department.

Regular Student Employment. Positions funded by the University are available to more than 1,500 undergraduate and graduate students. Job postings are available at

University Loans. Emergency loans ranging from $10-200 are available to full-time undergraduate and graduate students. These loans are short-term in nature (14-90 days), and can be made only when there is a means of repayment. Application forms are available in Enrollment Services.

State and Other Sources of Aid

Undergraduate residents of Rhode Island are encouraged to apply for state scholarships or grants. While both are based on need, the scholarships also require a strong academic record in high school. The Rhode Island State Scholarship and Grant Program is administered by the Rhode Island Higher Education Assistance Authority. Other states offer similar programs; for more information, contact your state’s scholarship agency.

There are many additional sources of financial aid available to students who qualify: scholarships from private organizations, clubs, labor unions, fraternities, sororities, and businesses. Students should apply directly to the source if they believe they qualify. Also see the URI catalog online ( for a list of loans, scholarships, and special awards available to undergraduate and graduate students.

Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Federal regulations require all institutions that administer Title IV student assistance programs to monitor the academic progress towards a degree or certificate of students applying for funds. All University of Rhode Island students who have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and wish to be considered for Title IV federal aid as well as selected other types of assistance must meet the criteria stated in the policy. Programs governed by these regulations include:

• Federal Pell Grant

• Federal Work Study

• Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

• Federal Perkins Loan

• Health Professions Loan

• Nursing Student Loan

• William D. Ford Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan

• William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

• William D. Ford Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

• Most private loans

• University of Rhode Island grant and scholarship programs (including Centennial and Talent Development programs)

• R.I. State Scholarship programs (including Academic Promise and Children’s Crusade)

Eligibility. Your financial aid eligibility is based on satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards that the University of Rhode Island’s office of Enrollment Services is required by the U.S. Department of Education to establish, publish, and apply. The office of Enrollment Services measures your academic performance and enforces SAP standards to ensure that you, as a financial aid recipient, progress toward graduation. If you fail to meet these standards, you become ineligible to receive financial aid until you comply with all requirements.

Financial aid recipients will be reviewed for satisfactory progress at the end of the spring semester after grades are posted. A student who does not meet the satisfactory academic progress standards will be terminated from financial aid assistance. An aid-terminated student is ineligible for any further financial aid, including student loans, until satisfactory academic progress is re-established. Readmission to a program or removal from academic probation does not automatically constitute eligibility for federal financial aid.

SAP Standards: Undergraduate Students. In addition to maintaining good standing within your college, your academic performance must meet two main SAP components:

Qualitative Standard. This component is represented by your cumulative grade point average. Your cumulative GPA must be a minimum of 2.00 after the successful completion of 60 credits or your fourth term of enrollment, whichever comes first.

Quantitative Standard. The quantitative component requires you to complete your degree within a maximum timeframe. The ratio between attempted and completed credits determines your credit completion ratio. You are eligible to receive financial aid for a maximum timeframe of 150 percent of the published degree credits required to complete your program. For example, if your undergraduate degree program requires 120 degree credits, you are eligible for financial aid up to 180 attempted credits (program restrictions apply). Each year, your cumulative credit completion ratio is calculated to ensure that you have earned at least 67 percent of the credits you attempted to maintain your aid eligibility. Grades of Incomplete and NW are included in attempted credits but not in credits earned.

Transfer Credits. These credits are counted in the total earned credits.

Withdrawals. All credits for which a student is registered beyond the drop period will be included in the measurement.

Repeated Courses. If you repeat a course, credits for each time you register will be added to the attempted/earned credit totals. However, only the most recent grade received will be used in the calculation of your cumulative GPA.

SAP Standards: Graduate Students. In addition to maintaining good standing within your college, your academic performance must meet two main SAP components:

Qualitative Standard. As a graduate student, you must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (unless your college requires a higher GPA) for the entire enrollment period. You are required to maintain at least a 2.00 GPA if you are a professional student in the Pharmacy program.

Quantitative Standard. The quantitative component requires you to complete your degree within a maximum timeframe.

As a Ph.D. candidate, you must complete your degree within seven calendar years of being admitted to your doctoral program (program restrictions apply).

As a graduate student pursuing a master’s degree, you are eligible to receive financial aid for a maximum timeframe of five years after the date you are first enrolled as a graduate student at the University.

Your progress within this maximum timeframe will be reviewed annually at the end of each spring semester. At this time, your cumulative credit completion ratio is determined to ensure that you have completed at least 67 percent of all credits attempted to maintain your financial aid eligibility. Grades of Incomplete and NW are included in attempted credits but not in credits earned. If you are unable to complete your degree within this timeframe, you may appeal for an exemption.

Master’s and doctoral students who have completed all course requirements including thesis research shall be considered to be making satisfactory progress at least at the half-time rate if they are registered for at least one thesis credit and have written permission from the dean of the graduate school.

SAP Appeal Process. A student who is declared ineligible to receive aid for not maintaining SAP may appeal the decision to the SAP committee within 15 days of receipt of the notification. If there are mitigating circumstances that resulted in the student’s inability to make SAP, the student should write a letter of appeal documenting the circumstances and submit the letter to the Satisfactory Progress Appeals Committee, c/o Enrollment Services, 35 Campus Avenue, Kingston, RI 02881.


Graduate Fellowships, Assistantships, and Scholarships

Detailed information (stipends, allowances, tenure, etc.) on graduate fellowships, assistantships, and scholarships is available from the Graduate School Office and online at Fellowships and scholarships are awarded by the Graduate School to students selected from nominations submitted by department chairpersons. Students are advised to request nomination for these awards by the chairperson of the department in which they plan to study or in which they are currently enrolled.

Graduate assistants are are expected to register for a minimum of six and a maximum of 12 credits per semester. Students who hold scholarships, fellowships, or assistantships are not eligible for additional employment unless written permission is received from the Graduate School.

Graduate students have access to a national computerized database of fellowships and other financial assistance opportunities available to students pursuing advanced degrees, completing dissertation research, or seeking postdoctoral positions.

Fellowships. Fellowships are awarded to graduate students in recognition of their achievement and promise as scholars. They are intended to enable students to pursue graduate studies and research without rendering any service to the University.

URI Diversity Graduate Fellowships are awarded by the Graduate School to students from minority and underrepresented groups. URI Foundation Minority Fellowships are also available to students from minority and underrepresented groups, with nominations usually made by departments to the Graduate School.

Special Fellowships are supported by various industrial firms, private foundations, and individuals, and are usually restricted to students in particular areas of study and research. The stipends and supplemental allowances of these fellowships are not uniform.

URI Fellows receive a stipend for the academic year and have tuition, health insurance, and the registration fee paid from University funds. URI Fellows are responsible for the remaining fees. Those wishing to be considered for fellowships must have their application file completed no later than February 1.

Graduate Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships. Assistantships are awarded to full-time graduate students to provide them with teaching and research training. Assistants may be required to provide service for up to 20 hours per week. Appointments are initiated by department chairpersons. To be eligible for such appointments, students must first be admitted as degree candidates. Applications for assistantships should be completed by February 1. Appointments are announced in early April.

Departmental Teaching Assistants assist, under supervision, with department instructional and/or research activities. No more than ten hours per week will be in classroom contact.

Research Assistants are assigned to individual research projects sponsored either by the University or an outside agency. On supported research contracts and grants, the graduate research assistants are expected to devote 20 hours per week to research activities.

Teaching and research assistants receive a stipend for the academic year. In addition, tuition (12 credits maximum), the registration fee, and health insurance are paid from University funds for each semester of the academic year of the appointment. The student is responsible for the remaining fees. Additional remuneration is given for appointments during the summer, although this cannot be guaranteed. Stipends and tuition remissions for students appointed to partial assistantships will be prorated for the period of the appointment. The student will be responsible for the remainder of the full-time tuition and fees. The same policy applies to assistantships terminated during the academic year.

Tuition Scholarships. These scholarships cover tuition and registration fee and are awarded by the Graduate School from University funds. These scholarships are awarded to qualified students demonstrating financial need. Nominations for these scholarships are made by individual departments.



All students must register for courses through Enrollment Services via the e-Campus system (Web) in order to be properly enrolled.

Matriculated (official degree-seeking) students generally register in April and October for the following semester. However, freshmen entering in the fall semester may register at specified dates during the summer as part of summer orientation.

Students are expected to register for courses before classes begin. Those who are unable to do so may enroll as late registrants via the e-Campus system or at Enrollment Services during the first two weeks of classes. A late registration fee shall be charged to students whose registration is not completed before the first Monday following the first day of classes (see page 21). Additional information is available from Enrollment Services.

Nonmatriculating Students. The Non-Degree Student Application Form is available on the Web at; or contact Enrollment Services for registration instructions. Registration for nonmatriculating students begins after matriculated students have registered.

Schedule of Courses. The Schedule of Courses & Classroom Directory is available on e-Campus in April and October for the fall and spring semesters. The University reserves the right to cancel courses offered in the Schedule.

Payment of Fees. Arrangements must be made with Enrollment Services for complete and timely payment of tuition and/or fees. If during the semester it becomes apparent that a student has not met his or her financial responsibilities to the University, sanctions will be imposed. Sanctioned students may not be allowed to receive transcripts or register for future semesters.

Drop and Add. Students are permitted to continue to add courses through the first two weeks of classes only. Courses offered by the Alan Shawn Feinstein College of Continuing Education may be added by the prescribed deadline.

Students may drop courses by the drop deadline according to official procedures. However, courses dropped after the end of the second week of classes will not affect the fees that have been assessed (see page 21).

A student may drop a course after the end of the drop period only in exceptional circumstances and with authorization of the dean of his or her college.

Auditing. When you audit, you have permission to attend a course without taking it for credit. (Auditing is not permitted in noncredit courses.) You may be admitted to a class on a space-available basis with the instructor’s consent as indicated by his or her signature on an audit authorization form, which must be filed in Enrollment Services before the end of the add period. The instructor will determine the extent to which you may participate in class activities. Your name will not appear on official class rosters, and the course will not be noted on your grade report or permanent academic record. Note: You must be enrolled in at least one other course to be permitted to audit a course without additional fees.

Off-Campus Study. A full-time student who wishes to study at another college and use that course work to satisfy graduation requirements at URI may register for off-campus study. The student must obtain signed approval for the off-campus courses from the dean of his or her college. Off-campus study includes summer sessions, one or two semesters at another American university, or study abroad. A student may not ordinarily study off campus during senior year. Students who wish to maintain registration eligibility while studying off campus must register for off-campus study for each semester of absence from URI, or take an official leave of absence for that period.

Veterans Benefits. Full information describing these can be obtained from your base education officer or the VA Regional Office, 380 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903; in the U.S., call 1-800-827-1000.

Veterans enrolled in Kingston who are eligible to receive VA educational benefits must notify Enrollment Services in person. In order to satisfy VA regulations, students who receive VA educational benefits must report all changes in academic status to the veterans registration clerk in Enrollment Services. Veterans enrolled in courses through the Alan Shawn Feinstein College of Continuing Education must be certified by that college.

Recipients of VA educational benefits are governed by the same University policies as are all other students.

Transcripts. Students can obtain a copy of their transcripts via the e-Campus system or by submitting a written request to Enrollment Services. Transcripts will not be issued to students who have unpaid financial obligations to the University.

Change of Address. It is the responsibility of the student to report changes of local or home address to Enrollment Services. Students may update their address information through the e-Campus system.

Required Identification. In order to obtain a University ID card and be certified for employment, students must possess a photo identification card, such as a driver’s license, and a certified copy of their birth certificate. A valid passport serves both purposes.

Readmission. Students formerly enrolled at the University and seeking re-entry may obtain applications for readmission at the Office of Enrollment Services. Readmitted students must make a $50 advance deposit. All applications for readmission must be submitted to Enrollment Services no later than August 15 for the fall semester, and December 31 for the spring semester.

Email. The University of Rhode Island has established email as one of the official means of communication with faculty, staff, and students on important academic and administrative matters. To ensure that each member of the University has access to this important form of communication and that students can be reached through a standardized channel when needed, faculty and staff are asked to activate an email account (address) on the University’s server. Students are required to do so. All official University communications will be sent to this official University email address.

Top | Previous | Next