Skip to main content
2010-2011 Catalog Online

Previous | Next

Undergraduate Program Requirements


General Education Learning Outcome Objectives

General Education Requirements

Other Academic Requirements

Capstone Experiences

Minor Fields of Study

Preprofessional Preparation

Special Academic Opportunities

Military Science and Leadership (Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps or “ROTC”)


Dean’s List

Probation and Dismissal

Leave of Absence

Withdrawal from the University

Graduation Requirements

University Manual

This section deals with academic requirements, regulations, and opportunities for undergraduates that are University-wide rather than college-related.

Consistent with its policy of allowing the greatest latitude possible in course selection, the University offers a wide choice to fill its general education requirements and encourages students to select free electives that cross departmental and college lines.

NOTE: The University administration may alter, abridge, or eliminate courses and programs of study. While every effort is made to keep this catalog current, not all courses and programs of study listed may be available at the time of student matriculation. Similarly, course and program requirements may be changed from time to time. In all cases, every effort will be made to accommodate individual students whose exceptional circumstances may make it difficult or impossible to meet the changed requirements. Changes in the academic calendar may also be made when deemed in the best interests of the University.


General Education Learning Outcome Objectives

In academic and non-academic settings, with respect to fine arts and literature, humanities and Letters, the natural sciences, and the social sciences, students will be able to …

• identify basic concepts, theories, and developments;

• recognize issues, as well as aesthetic and literary elements and forms;

• ask questions appropriate to the modes of inquiry;

• collect nformation relevant to the questions raised; and

• analyze the information in order to address the questions or solve problems.

For a comprehensive set of statements regarding the expected outcomes of each college and major, visit


General Education Requirements

The University believes that all undergraduate students, regardless of their degree programs, need experience in the study of fundamentals that builds on the student’s previous education and continues through the undergraduate years and beyond. All bachelor’s degree students, with the exception of students enrolled in the College of Engineering, follow the same University-wide general education requirements. While general education requirements for all students are selected from the same list of approved courses, there are possible variations based on the student’s major. Students should consult specific college and departmental requirements and discuss the requirements with an advisor. In their first semester, all entering freshmen and new transfer students with fewer than 24 credits are required to take URI 101 Traditions and Transformations: A Freshman Seminar, including community service provided by the Feinstein Enriching America Program (see “Course Descriptions,” beginning on page 163).

The purpose of general education at the University of Rhode Island is to lay a foundation for the lifelong enrichment of the human experience and for a thoughtful and active engagement with the world. This foundation is built on recognition of the complexity of nature, society, and the individual. The objective of general education is to introduce students to the fundamental dimensions of this complexity and to develop an appreciation of different ways of understanding it and different cultural responses to it.

Corresponding with its goals, the general education program is divided into the following core areas:

English Communication. Six credits in English communication, at least three of which must be in a course designed specifically to improve written communication skills.

Fine Arts and Literature. Six credits in courses on artistic and literary expression and interpretation.

Foreign Language/Cross-cultural Competence. Six credits or the equivalent in course work related to communicating across cultures.

Letters. Six credits in courses that address the wisdom and traditions of the past and present in a global setting.

Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning. Three credits in a course on mathematical or quantitative skills and their application.

Natural Sciences. Six credits in courses on the interrelationships of the natural world.

Social Sciences. Six credits in courses related to the study of human behavior in social, economic, cultural, and political contexts.

Because particular skills are essential to a thoughtful engagement with the world, each general education course incorporates opportunities to practice three (3) or more of the following skills: reading complex texts, writing effectively, speaking effectively, examining human differences, using quantitative data, using qualitative data, using information literacy, and engaging in artistic activity.

In addition, the University has a commitment to providing students with the opportunity to examine diversity within and across national boundaries and requires that at least two of the courses taken as part of a student’s general education program must be designated as diversity [D] courses. Only one course in a foreign language may be applied to the diversity requirement. Since these diversity courses may be selected from any of the general education core areas, this requirement does not increase the total number of credits in the general education program.

Specific courses that may be used to meet these requirements are listed below. If a course is countable in more than one core area, a student may count the course in only one core area. For an explanation of course codes, see pages 163-164:

English Communication: Writing (ECw): BGS 100*, ELS 112, 122; HPR 326; WRT 104, 105, 106, 201, 227, 235, 302, 303, 304 [D], 305 [D], 333; General (EC): COM 100 [D], 108, 110 [D]; ECN 108; LIB 120, 220; PHL 101; SUS 108.

Fine Arts and Literature (A): AAF 247 [D], 248 [D]; ART 101, 207; ARH 120 [D], 251 [D], 252 [D]; CLA 391 [D], 395 [D], 396 [D], 397 [D]; CLS 160 [D]; ENG 110 [D], 160 [D], 243 [D], 247 [D], 248 [D], 260 [D], 262 [D], 263 [D], 264 [D], 265 [D], 280 [D], 317 [D], 355 [D], 357 [D], 358 [D]; FAL 151 [D], FLM 101 [D], 203 [D], 204 [D], 205 [D]; FRN 309 [D], 310 [D], 320 [D], 391 [D], 392 [D], 393 [D]; GCH 101; HPR 124, 125, 201A, 202A, 324, 325; LAR 201; MUS 101 [D], 106 [D], 111, 292 [D], 293 [D]; PLS 233, 335 [D]*; RUS 391[D], 392 [D]; SPA 305 [D], 306 [D], 307 [D], 308 [D], 320 [D]; THE 100, 181, 351[D], 352 [D], 381, 382, 383; WMS 317 [D]. Please note: the College of Arts and Sciences requires one course in fine arts and one course in literature. See page 49.

Foreign Language/Cross-cultural Competence (FC): This requirement shall be fulfilled in one of the following ways: 1) demonstration of competence through the intermediate level by a proficiency examination or by successfully completing the 104 level in a living language or the 302 level in a classical language (students who fulfill this requirement through an examination cannot earn course credit for graduation; students who earn less than six credits in fulfilling the requirement should apply credits to the elective or major areas); 2) a two-course sequence in a language previously studied for two or more years in high school through at least the 103 level in a living language or 301 in a classical language appropriate to a student’s level of competence (e.g., 102 and 103, 102 and 301; 131 and 103; 103 and 104; 301 and 302); 3) course work in a language not previously studied (or studied for less than two years in high school) through the beginning level. All modern and classical language courses used to fulfill these options carry the [D] designation; 4) study abroad in an approved academic program for one semester; 5) majoring in a foreign language; 6) two courses in cross-cultural competence selected from the following list: CCC 151 [D]; CPL 300 [D]; FRN 309 [D], 310 [D], 320 [D], 391 [D], 392 [D], 393 [D]; HIS 132 [D], 171 [D], 172 [D], 180 [D], 311 [D], 327 [D], 374 [D], 375 [D]; HPR 201F, 202F; LET 151L [D], 151Q [D], 151R [D]; NRS 300 [D]; PHL 331 [D]; RLS 131 [D]; SPA 320 [D]; TMD 224 [D]. Six credits of a full-semester approved Intercultural Internship in a foreign country through the Office of Internships and Experiential Education may be substituted for cross-cultural competence courses. Formally registered international students, students with a recognized immigrant status, and students who are naturalized citizens may be exempt from the foreign language or cross-cultural competence requirement at the discretion of the dean of the student’s academic college.

Letters (L): AAF 150 [D], 201 [D], 355 [D], 356 [D]; APG 327; BGS 392 [D]; CLS 160 [D], 235; COM 246 [D]; EGR 316 [D]; ENG 110 [D], 160 [D], 243 [D], 280 [D], 317 [D], 355 [D], 356 [D]; GCH 102; HIS 111, 112, 113 [D], 114 [D], 116, 117, 118 [D], 130 [D], 132 [D], 141 [D], 142 [D], 145 [D], 146 [D], 150 [D], 160 [D], 171 [D], 172 [D], 180 [D], 304, 305, 310 [D], 311 [D], 314, 323 [D], 327 [D], 332 [D], 333 [D], 340 [D], 341 [D], 346 [D], 351 [D], 355 [D], 356 [D]; 374 [D]; 375 [D]; HPR 107, 201L, 202L, 307; JOR 110 [D]; LAR 202 [D]; LET 151 approved topics [D]; LIB 220; NUR 360 [D]; PHL 101, 103, 204, 210 [D], 212 [D], 215, 217 [D], 235, 314, 316 [D], 321, 322, 323 [D], 325 [D], 328 [D], 331 [D], 346, 355; PSC 341, 342; PSY 310; RLS 111 [D], 125, 126, 131 [D]; WMS 220 [D], 315 [D], 320 [D]; WRT 240 [D], 317 [D].

Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning (MQ): BUS 111; CSC 101, 201; HPR 108, 201M, 202M; MTH 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 111, 131, 141; PSC 109; STA 220.

Natural Sciences (N): AFS 190, 210, 211; APG 201 [D]; AST 108, 118; AVS 101 [D]; BGS 391*; BCH 190; BIO 101, 102, 105, 106, 286 [D]; BPS 201, 203; CHM 100, 101, 103, 112; EGR 133; GCH 103; GEO 100, 102, 103, 110, 113, 120; HPR 109, 201N, 202N, 309; MIC 190; NRS 190; NFS 207, 210; NUR 143 [D]; OCG 110, 123, 131, 200; PHP 143 [D]; PHY 111, 112, 185, 186, 203, 204, 205, 273, 274, 275; PLS 150, 190, 233; TMD 113.

Social Sciences (S): AFS 132; AVS 132; APG 200 [D], 202, 203 [D], 301 [D]; BGS 390 [D]*; COM 108; CPL 202 [D]; ECN 100 [D], 108, 201, 202, 306, 381 [D]; EDC 102 [D]; EEC (REN) 105, 310, 356; GCH 104; GEG 101 [D], 104 [D]; 202 [D]; HDF 225; HPR 110 [D], 201S, 202S, 310; HSS 130 [D]; JOR 110 [D]; KIN 123 [D]; LIN 200 [D]; MAF 100, 220 [D]; NUR 114 [D], 143 [D], 150 [D], 160 [D]; PHP 114 [D], 143 [D]; PLS 143 [D]; PSC 113 [D], 116 [D], 201 [D], 288; PSY 103 [D], 113 [D], 232 [D], 235 [D], 254 [D], 255 [D]; SOC 100 [D], 212 [D], 230 [D], 240 [D], 242 [D]; SUS 108; TMD 224 [D]; WMS 150 [D], 320 [D].

All students must meet the curricular requirements of the colleges in which they plan to earn their degrees. Some colleges require that students select specific courses from the lists given for the various general education components. Therefore, students must refer to the requirements specified for their programs (see “Undergraduate Programs”).

In the colleges of Arts and Sciences, the Environment and Life Sciences, and Human Science and Services and for the Bachelor of General Studies, credits within a student’s own major may not be counted toward general education requirements in fine arts and literature, Letters, natural sciences, or social sciences. In other colleges, credits within a student’s professional college may not be counted toward any general education requirements. However, courses that serve as prerequisites for a major can be used to fulfill the general education requirements.

Students in the Honors Program can receive general education credit for honors sections of courses that have been approved for general education credit.

Transfer students can receive general education credit for courses taken at other institutions as long as such credits are in courses equivalent to courses given general education credit at URI.


Other Academic Requirements

Certain basic courses are required in many curriculums for transfer from University College into a degree-granting college in the junior year. These are listed in the curriculums of the individual colleges.

The responsibility for meeting all course and credit requirements for the degree rests with each individual student.

Students who desire to accelerate their programs and receive credit for courses taken at other institutions must have prior approval from their academic deans. (The Board of Governors’ policy on articulation and transfer between state institutions of higher education defines exceptions to this regulation. See “Transfer Policies,” Appendix F of the University Manual.)

Students desiring to take courses in the University’s five- or six-week Summer Session shall be limited to seven credits of course work. The limit may be exceeded only if approved in the case of a matriculating University student by the student’s academic dean or the Graduate Dean, if applicable, and in the case of any other student by the dean designated to oversee the Summer Session.


Capstone Experiences

A capstone experience integrates course work throughout the undergraduate major program. Capstone experiences include courses, internships, portfolios, senior theses, research/design projects, etc. They are scheduled for the senior year. Capstone experiences may be either required or simply recommended. See your program of study for more information.


Minor Fields of Study

Undergraduate students may declare a “minor” field of study. Requirements for a minor may be satisfied by completing 18 or more credits in: 1) any one of the University-approved minors; 2) a curriculum other than the student’s major; or 3) related studies from more than one department under the sponsorship of a qualified faculty member.

To declare a minor, a student must have the approval of the department chairperson of the minor field of study and the dean. Faculty sponsorship is required for the third option listed above. (Non-business students wishing to obtain a departmental minor in the College of Business Administration should expect to take the six courses over a period of two years. Admission is on a space-available basis only, and therefore not guaranteed.)

A minimum grade point average of 2.00 must be earned in the minor courses, and at least 12 of the 18 credits must be at the 200 level or above. At least half of the credits required for the minor must be earned at the University of Rhode Island. General education requirements may be used for the minor, but no course may be used for both the major and minor field of study. Minor courses may not be taken on a pass-fail basis.

Application for the minor must be filed in the academic dean’s office no later than the beginning of the student’s final semester or term.

Interdepartmental Minors

Descriptions of approved interdepartmental minors follow. Descriptions of requirements for approved departmental minors may be found in the departmental sections of this catalog.

African and African-American Studies. Students who declare African and African-American studies as a minor are required to take two core courses: AAF 201 and 202 (six credits). In addition, students select four electives (12 credits) from the following: AAF 360, 390, 410; APG 313; COM 333; ECN 386; ENG 247, 248, 362, 363, 364, 474; HIS 150, 384, 388; and PSC 408. Students who want to use other courses that have as their central focus some aspect of the black experience may do so with permission from the program director.

For a description of the degree program for the major in African and African-American studies, see page 52.

Asian Studies. Students who declare a minor in Asian studies are required to complete 18 credits including at least two courses (6 credits) from the following: HIS 171, 172, 374, 375; PHL 331; PSC 377; RLS 131; THE 382. The remaining 12 credits may be selected from the preceding group or from the following: BUS 317/COM 354; CHN 101, 102, 103, 104; COM 361, 461, 491, 492; HIS 391, 481, 495; JPN 101, 102, 103, 104; LAN 191, 192, 193, 194, 205, 206; PSC 303, 455, 456. At least 12 of the 18 credits must be taken at the 200 level or above. Students interested in the minor should contact Professor Timothy George in the History Department. A member of the Asian Studies Advisory Committee will then be assigned as the advisor for the minor and will assist the student to fulfill its requirements.

Biological Sciences. Students who declare biology as a minor must take BIO 101, BIO 102, and MIC 211 or MIC 201. The remaining courses may be selected from BCH 311 and any BIO or MIC course. At least 18-20 credits are required, and at least 12 of the 20 credits must be taken at the 200 level or above.

For a description of the degree program for the major in biological sciences, see page 96.

Community Planning. The minor in Community Planning is for those students in all fields who wish to expand their knowledge of the processes of community planning and development while completing their education at URI. The minor is designed to encourage or improve the student’s professional knowledge of community planning and development issues. The minor requires a total of 18 credits. Nine of the 18 credits are the required courses and the remaining are elective courses.

CPL 410 is the required introductory core course for the minor. In addition, each student is required to complete six credits from the following list: CPL 391, 434, 450, 485, and 538. A maximum of 3 credits of CPL 391 can be applied toward the required courses of the minor. Alternatively, three credits of CPL 391 can be applied toward the elective courses in the minor.

Successful completion of nine credits of elective courses from the following list is required in consultation with the community planning minor advisor, Professor Farhad Atash: AAF/PSC 410, 466; CPL 391, 392, 397; CVE 346; ECN 402; GEG 101, 104, 200, 203; HDF 418, 424, 434, 440; LAR 201, 202; MAF 465, 475, 484; NRS/CPL 300; NRS 415, 450; PHL 318; PSC 221, 402; and SOC 214, 240. These elective courses cannot be simultaneously counted toward a major.

The Department of Landscape Architecture in the College of the Environment and Life Sciences administers this minor. Interested students should contact Professor Farhad Atash in the West Tower Office of Rodman Hall (third floor), 401.874.2982 or

Comparative Literature Studies. Students who declare comparative literature studies as a minor must earn 18 credits distributed as follows: six credits in comparative literature studies at the 200 level or above; 12 credits from literature courses in comparative literature, English, or languages, of which six credits must be in one national literature either in the original language or in translation. Students majoring in English or languages may not count courses in their major toward this minor.

Film Media. See page 58.

Forensic Science. Students who declare a minor in forensic science must complete 18 credits including two credits of CHM 391, three credits of CHM 392 (Introduction to Criminalistics), and three credits of research or a practicum related to forensic science. The practicum can be in the form of participating in a Forensic Science Partnership research project or internship on or off campus. The remaining 13 credits may be selected from the following: APG 300*, 350*; APG/PSY 405*, APG 417; BCH/BIO/ASP/PLS 352*; BCH/MIC 403; BCH/BIO 437*, 451*; BCH 481*, 482*, 484*; BIO 242*, 244*; BIO 381/ENT 385*, BIO 382/ENT 386*; BMS 225*, 313, 322, 325, 326, 416, 525, 530*, 535*, 544, 546; CHE 332*, 333, 438*, 491, 539*, 576; CHM 226*, 228*, 412*, 414*, 425*; COM 215; DHY/CMD/PHT 440*; ENT 411 or 511*; GEO 103, 320*, 321*, 554*; PHP 316, 318, 324; PLS/ASP 355*; PLS 361*; PSC 472*; PSY 254*, 335*, 460, 466, 479; SOC 216, 230, 370, 420*; SOC/PSC 274*; TMD 303*, 313* (asterisked courses have prerequisites not included in this program; students are responsible for completing these prior to enrolling in the course). Courses required for a student’s major cannot also be used to satisfy the minor requirements. It is suggested that no more than two courses in the minor be from any one department and that all students take at least one chemistry course in addition to CHM 391. Students interested in this minor should contact Professor Jimmie Oxley, Department of Chemistry.

Geography. The minor in geography is designed to enhance student spatial skills. Global awareness is a fundamental component of many programs of study here at URI. It is a critical element in developing spatial literacy. The required courses for the minor include GEG 101 (3 credits) and three of the following (9 credits): GEG 104, 200, 203, and 511.

Six credits of electives are chosen from the following list in consultation with the geography advisor, Professor William Gordon: AAF/PSC 410, 466; APG 203; CPL 410; GEG 202, 350; GEO 103, 210; HIS (a state, regional, or national history course); OCG 123; PSC 116, 377, 403, 407, and 408. These courses cannot be double-counted for a student’s academic minor and major.

The Department of Landscape Architecture, within the College of the Environment and Life Sciences, administers this program. Interested students should contact Professor William Gordon in the East Tower Office of Rodman Hall (third floor), 401.874.5108 or

Gerontology. The program in gerontology is a University-wide program that promotes study, teaching, and research in aging. It also maintains relationships with state and local agencies serving Rhode Island’s older population. This affords opportunities for research, internships, and field experiences to students interested in the problems of aging.

The Bachelor of Science program in human development and family studies is the recommended major for gerontology. There is also the opportunity for students taking their major studies in a number of areas to do a less specialized study in aging by declaring a minor in gerontology. This must be done no later than the first semester of the senior year. It requires 18 or more credits in aging-related studies approved by the program in gerontology and the college in which the student is registered.

HDF 314 (Introduction to Gerontology) is required for either specialization. Undergraduate gerontology courses include NFS 395; HDF 431 and 440; and SOC 438. Also relevant are HDF 421, 450, 480; NUR 349, 360; BIO 242; and the Office of Internships and Experiential Education.

It is important to take courses that fulfill degree requirements from the beginning. Students who wish to specialize in aging are advised to contact the program in gerontology early in their University studies.

Hunger Studies. This minor intends to prepare students for leadership roles in understanding and eradicating hunger. Requirements include 18 credits (at least 12 at the 200-level or above), nine of which will be core courses, including the introductory course HSS 130; up to three 1-3-credit internships; and a 3-credit capstone course which will include one credit for portfolio development. No course may be used for both the major and minor. Courses in general education may be used for the minor.

All courses must be taken for a grade, except for the internship and portfolio credits, and a grade of 2.00 or better must be earned in each graded course. To declare this minor, a student must have the approval of a program advisor and an academic advisor. For more information, contact Professor Kathleen Gorman, Director, Feinstein Center for a Hunger Free America, Ranger Hall, 309, or Professor Lynn McKinney, Human Science and Services, Quinn Hall, Kingston.

Core courses: 9 credits; HSS/PSY 130 (4 credits), Internship (total of 3 credits), HDF 434 (3-credit capstone, 1 credit for portfolio development). Optional: URI 101 with a focus on hunger/social justice (1 credit).

Electives: 9 credits; may be focused on a particular theme. Approved electives include CPL 210; CPL/NRS 300; NFS 276, 394, 395; HDF 357, 489G; HSS 120; PHL 217; PLS 305; PSC 221, 485.

International Development. The international development minor is available to undergraduates interested in employment overseas or in domestic enterprises with international operations.

Students choosing this minor must complete 18 credits, with a maximum of six credits at the 100 or 200 level. Students must complete the following: 1) CPL/NRS 300 (three credits); 2) language or culture (six to nine credits), to be met by the completion of at least six language credits through the intermediate level (103 or 104) or placement in the conversation and composition level (205 or 206) and completion of at least six credits in the same language or culture cluster (placement for course work is determined by the Educational Testing Service exam as administered by the University’s Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures in the following languages: French, Spanish, German, and Russian; the University also offers Portuguese and selected other languages that, with permission, could satisfy the requirement; six credits are allowed in the general education requirements for language and culture); 3) an approved internship (three to six credits) providing international development experience during the junior or senior year (CPL/NRS 487); and three credits of an advanced-level seminar (CPL 495 or NRS 496). See “Courses of Instruction” later in this catalog (or online at for descriptions of CPL/NRS 300, CPL 487 and 495, and NRS 496.

The College of the Environment and Life Sciences administers this program; interested students should contact Professor David Abedon in Natural Resources Sciences, Coastal Institute, Kingston, Room 113, 401.874.4655.

International Relations. The Department of Political Science has established a minor in international relations, designed to provide a basic grounding in the theory and practice of international affairs for students with an interest in global issues. Drawing upon upper-level courses in economics, history, and political science, the program integrates existing course offerings and provides a focused option in international affairs.

Students must complete a minimum of 18 credits, drawn from the required courses and options outlined below. Please note that students are responsible for completing any necessary prerequisites before enrolling in these courses.

Requirements include ECN 338 and one of the following capstone courses: PSC 431 or 580.

In addition to the required courses, students must take at least one course from each of the following groups, for a total of 18 credits: international relations theory (PSC 350, 481, 487, 544, 546, 580, and 584); international political economy (ECN 305, 344, 363, 381; PSC 402, 403, 521, and 595); comparative government (HIS 332, 374, 375, 381, 382, 384, 388; PSC 201, 301, 321, 377, 401, 406, 407, 408, 410, and 434).

The Department of Political Science administers this program; interested students should contact Professor Nicolai Petro or Professor Richard McIntyre.

Justice, Law, and Society. Students declaring a minor in justice, law, and society must complete a minimum of 18 credits from among the courses listed below. At least three credits must be completed in each of the three groups. Several of the courses have prerequisites not included in this program; students are responsible for completing these prerequisites prior to enrolling in the course. Other courses, such as topics courses, may be approved for credit by the program coordinator. Interested students should contact Professor Leo Carroll in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. Criminal Justice: HDF/SOC 437; PSC/SOC 274; PSY 254, 261, 335, 460, 465, 466; SOC 230, 330, 331, 370, 375, 420; SOC/PSC 476; WMS 370, 401. Law: ECN 337, 415; ENG 356; PHL 430; PSC 288, 369, 471, 472. Social Justice: AAF 201; APG 311, 322; ECN 305, 381, 386; HIS/AAF 150, 355, 356; HIS 328, 344, 346, 349, 352, 366, 367; PHL 210, 217, 314, 318; PSC 441, 485; PSY 480; SOC 240, 242, 413, 428, 438; WMS 150, 310, 402.

Labor Studies. The labor studies minor is available to students interested in employment issues and the problems faced by working people in the United States and abroad. Students declaring this minor are required to complete 18 credits including LRS 480, Seminar in Labor Studies. The remaining 15 credits can be selected from HIS 349; BUS 344, 444; SOC 241, 336, 320, 350, and 432; PSC 369, 471, 472, and 498; ECN 338, 368, 381, and 386; and COM 460 or other courses approved in consultation with SLRC faculty. The labor studies minor is administered by the Schmidt Labor Research Center. Information can be obtained from Professor Richard Scholl in the center, Hart House, 36 Upper College Road, 401.874.2239.

Leadership Studies. The minor in leadership studies is based on a broad cross-disciplinary philosophy of leadership. The goal is to prepare students for leadership roles and responsibilities. The minor will provide students with opportunities to develop and enhance a personal philosophy of leadership that includes understanding of self, others, and community as well as the acceptance of responsibility inherent in community membership. The curriculum is focused on expanding students’ knowledge, skills, and understanding of specific leadership theories, concepts, and models in applied settings.

The minor includes the following three areas: education that consists of exposure to leadership theories, concepts, and models; leadership training that is directed at skill areas in leadership; and developmental aspects that require academic and co-academic experiences and reflection intended to empower students to mature and develop greater levels of leadership complexity, integration, and proficiency.

To declare a minor in leadership studies, a student must first visit the Center for Student Leadership Development (CSLD) in the Memorial Union to begin the enrollment process, and then inform his or her major academic advisor. A program advisor will facilitate the student’s process through the minor, and help assure that class, internship, and portfolio requirements are completed.

Leadership minors must complete 18 or more credits related to leadership offered by more than one department. Requirements include a core of nine credits as follows: 1) a choice of an introductory course (HDF 190 or HDF 290); 2) a choice of a capstone course (BUS 441/COM 402 or HDF 412); 3) an internship with specific requirements including conceptual understanding, skill development through experience and feedback, and personal awareness, assessment, and growth; each internship requires 80 hours of fieldwork; the specific internship course will depend on the student’s particular major or depend on the specific supervisor and/or advisor for the internship site; 4) a one-credit portfolio course. The portfolios are multidimensional collections of work that reflect the students’ experiences in and out of the classroom as they relate to leadership knowledge, training, and experiences. The student’s program advisor will work with the student on the development of the portfolio as an ongoing project.

Students will also choose nine elective credits from several approved courses. Other courses may be appropriate and may be added to this list with the approval of the Leadership Advisory Committee: AAF 300; BUS 340, 341, 342, 441, 442, 443; COM 100, 202, 208, 210, 220, 221, 302, 308, 322, 351, 361, 383, 385, 402, 407, 413, 421, 422, 450, 451, 461, 462; CSV 302; HDF 190, 290, 291, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 437, 450; HPR 118, 203, 412; KIN 375; MSL 201, 202, 301; PSC 304, 369, 504; PHL 212; SOC 300/WMS 350; THE 221, 341; WMS 150, 310, 350.

Visit for a complete, up-to-date list.

For more information on this minor, contact the Center for Student Leadership Development, Memorial Union, room 210, 401.874.5282.

New England Studies. Students who declare New England studies as a minor must take either NES 200 or 300 and elect at least one course from each of the following four categories. Aesthetic Dimensions: ENG 347. Cultural Patterns: APG 317; ENG 337; PSC 221. Historical Dimensions: HIS 335, 346, 362. Physical Dimensions: BIO 323, BIO 418; GEO 101; NRS 301, 302. Permission can be obtained from the Committee for New England Studies to use any rotating topics course, seminar, etc., whose focus is on some aspect of New England as a substitute for any of the above courses. The minor in New England Studies is coordinated by the English Department. Interested students should contact Professor Ron Onorato at 401.874.2769 or

Nonviolence and Peace Studies. Students who declare a minor in nonviolence and peace studies should complete a minimum of 18 credits, as follows: 1) NVP 200, a one-credit colloquium course on Nonviolence and Peace Studies; 2) a nonviolence training experience such as one of the two-day workshops offered by URI’s Center for Nonviolence and Peace Studies (or training offered by the American Friends Service Committee, Fellowship of Reconciliation, or similar organization), combined with three credits of directed reading/independent study focused on the history, theory, and application of nonviolence. Credits may be earned in HDF 498, HIS 391, HPR 401 or 402, PHL 499, PSC 455 or 456, PSY 489, SOC 498 or 499, and should be chosen in consultation with the student’s advisor for the minor and other faculty; 3) a minimum of one of the following three-credit courses in individual/interpersonal peace processes: COM 221, 422; HDF 450; HPR 107, 110; PSY 479Y, 479H; or SOC 408; 4) a minimum of one of the following three-credit courses in societal/global peace processes: AAF/PSC 380; COM 310, 361; ECN 386; HPR 411; PHL 217; SOC 318; or PSC 420; and 5) additional related courses totaling a minimum of 18 credits for the minor, such as AAF/SOC 240, 336; AAF/HIS 359, 366; AAF/SOC 428; COM 310, 322, 421, 461; ECN 381; HDF 230; HIS 328, 349; PSC 485; PSY 103, 334, 335; PSY/SOC 430; SOC 216, 230, 274, 330, 331, 370, 413, 420, 452; WMS 150, 310, 350, and 351. Students are responsible for meeting applicable prerequisites for courses in the minor, or for obtaining the instructor’s permission to take a course.

Interested students should contact Professor Charles Collyer in the Department of Psychology (401.874.4227 or

Oceanography. The minor in oceanography is available to students interested in scientific understanding of the ocean, including its role in controlling the environment in which we live, its usefulness as a resource, and the importance of marine area protection and sustainability.

Students choosing this minor must complete 18 credits, at least 9 of which must be from OCG courses. Courses may not be taken on a pass-fail basis (except for OCG 493/494). The following course requirements must be met: 1) One OCG course and up to one other course from the following 100-level course list: CHM 100; GEO 103; MAF 100, 120; OCG 110, 123, 131. 2) One of these three general oceanography courses: OCG 123, 401, 451. 3) The remaining 7-12 credits from the following courses: APG 413; BIO 345, 360, 418, 455, 457, 469, 475, 495; EVS 366; GEO 277, 450, 465; MAF 330, 415, 461, 465, 471, 482, 484, 490, 511; MCE 354; OCE 215/216, 301, 307, 310, 311, 471; OCG 420, 480, 493/494, 501, 506, 517, 521, 540, 561. Permission of the program administrator is needed if OCG 493 or 494 is used to satisfy requirement 3 (above). Other courses may be substituted, at the request of the student and with permission of the program administrator. The Graduate School of Oceanography (GSO) administers this program. Interested students should contact GSO Associate Dean David Smith at 401.874.6172 or

Public Relations. Students can minor in public relations by completing one statistics course and 18 course credits from communication studies, journalism, and marketing, as specified. Applicable statistics courses are STA 220, 308, 409 and BUS 210. Communication studies majors take JOR 220, 345, JOR/PRS 340, BUS 365, and two additional marketing courses. Journalism majors take COM 210, 302, 320, BUS 365, and two additional marketing courses. Marketing majors take JOR 220, 345 and COM 210, 302, 320. Other majors take two applicable courses in communication studies, journalism, and marketing. The minor in public relations is coordinated by the Department of Communication Studies. Interested students should contact Regina Bell (401.874.2489).

Special Populations. This interdepartmental minor gives students the opportunity to explore theory and gain practical experience through working with people who have special needs. This includes people who have disabilities (physical, emotional, mental, or educational) or are different socioeconomically, behaviorally, or culturally. A minimum of 18 credits may be earned by taking the required courses (HDF 200 or PSY 232; PSY 442), a minimum of three credits in supervised field experience, and a minimum of nine credits of selected electives.

Courses are chosen in consultation with an advisor from one of the participating departments: Communication Studies; Education; Nutrition and Food Sciences; Human Development and Family Studies; Nursing; Kinesiology; Psychology; Sociology and Anthropology; Textiles, Fashion Merchandising, and Design; or Theatre. The College of Human Science and Services administers the program.

Sustainability. In addition to fulfilling all the basic requirements for a minor (see page 35), students declaring a minor in sustainability complete the following four requirements:

(1) A “synthesis course” selected from a series of courses that focus on principles of sustainability (AFS/BCH/MIC/NRS/PLS 190; BIO 262; COM 315; GEO 100; HPR 411; MAF 100, 220, 330, 465; NRS 100; OCG 110, 123; 3 credits).

(2) An internship that includes hands-on sustainability experience on campus or in the community. Course can include research, service learning, and/or leadership. Minimum of 3 credits. Course can be repeated for up to 6 credits. Students may elect to take an internship offered from within a given major. Some majors have generic internship courses in which students may seek approval for from 3-6 credits (e.g. COM 471/472; ITR 301/302; NRS/CPL 487); others would need to use the Office of Internships and Experiential Education to arrange for an appropriate internship of from 3-12 credits, only 3 of which would be required for the minor. (For more information, see Use of the internship activity to fulfill requirements of the minor requires approval by the sustainability minor coordinator(s).

(3) Elective courses selected from the following approved lists, with at least one course from each of the three core areas (9 credits): ECONOMICS: EEC 105, 205, 310, 345, 440, 441; ECN 201, 202. SOCIAL EQUITY/JUSTICE: APG 203; COM 410, 415, 462; HPR 319; NFS 207; SOC 242, 318, 350, 413, 438, 452, SOC/AAF 240, 336, 428. ENVIRONMENT: AFS 102, 120; BIO 101, 467; CHM 100; GEO 103; LAR 444, 445; NFS 276; NRS/CPL 300; NRS 223, 361, 401/501, 411/511, 414/514, 445/545; OCG 131; PLS 306, 311, 324; TMD 226.

(4) A capstone course requiring submission of a brief proposal describing the intended work and how it relates to sustainability, the associated course, and the faculty sponsor. The faculty member may well be simply signing off on a course that s/he teaches as part of a regular workload (COM 455/HPR319; MAF 472, 475; NRS 496/CPL 495; NRS/MAF 527; OCG 480/580; PSC 403), or may be agreeing to sponsor the student’s work in a special studies arrangement, which could be an add-on to the internship or could stand alone. The sustainability minor coordinator(s) must approve the proposed capstone course.

The Sustainability Minor Committee is consulted on the appropriateness of capstone courses, internships, and the addition of any new courses to the minor. For more information, contact Professor Judith Swift at or 401.874.4739.

Thanatology (Death, Dying, and Bereavement). The interdisciplinary minor in thanatology provides a basic understanding of loss, death, dying, and grief.

Students are required to take 18 credits (12 of which are at the 200 level or above)in the following core areas: thanatology (minimum of 6 credits); communications, counseling, gerontology, and psychology (miniumum of 3 credits); and ethics, philosophy, and religion (minimum of 3 credits). Courses may be selected from the following approved list. Thanatology: HDF 450; HDF/THN 421, 471; HPR 119; NUR 527; NUR/THN 360, 523, 524, 525, 526, 529; PHP 460; PSC 440. Communications, Counseling, Gerontology, and Psychology: COM 100, 221, 251, 324, 325, 361, 422; HDF 314, 430, 450, 535; PSY 113, 232, 399. Ethics, Philosophy, and Religion: PHL 103, 212, 314, 328, 346, 401; RLS 111, 125, 126, 131, 151. Other related courses: Independent study related to thanatology, i.e. HDF 498, NUR/THN 390, 506 (check with faculty advisor). For additional information, see and click on “academics” and then “thanatology.” For academic advisement and course approvals, and to declare intent to graduate with a thanatology minor, contact Professor Carolyn Hames ( in the College of Nursing.

Underwater Archaeology. To obtain a minor in underwater archaeology, students must take 18 credits in history, historical archaeology, anthropology, classical archaeology, oceanography, and marine policy, at least 12 of which must be at the 200 level or above. The required courses and options are outlined below.

Students must take HIS/APG 490, and either APG 417 or ARH 475 (six credits). Students are encouraged to take these required 400-level courses toward the end of their program of studies. In addition, students must take one course from each of the following four groups: classical archaeology/material culture (ARH 251, 354, 475; ARH/APG 465); anthropology (APG 202, 203, 302, 303, 319, 417; APG/MAF 413); history (HIS 130, 389, 390, 396); oceanography/marine policy (OCE 110, 123, 401, 451; MAF 100, 220).

Interested students should contact Professor Rod Mather in the History Department (401.874.4093 or

Women’s Studies. See page 70.

Writing. See page 70.


Preprofessional Preparation

Competition for seats in graduate professional schools is keen, and a superior academic record throughout college is necessary for admission to these schools. Since requirements for the professional schools vary in their “essential” and “recommended” subjects, students should consult the catalog of the professional school and then plan their undergraduate programs accordingly.

Those seeking careers as social workers can enroll as majors in sociology, including in their curriculum the social welfare courses. A basic foundation for graduate study, whether directed toward college teaching or research careers, can be provided through any of the liberal arts or science majors. The Bachelor of Arts curriculum provides specific majors for those planning to become journalists or public school teachers.

Communicative Disorders. Students who are interested in applying to the graduate program in communicative disorders, and who have not taken the undergraduate requirements, may wish to enroll as post-baccalaureate (non-matriculating) students to fulfill or begin to fulfill these requirements. The undergraduate requirements—courses needed prior to taking graduate courses—include CMD 272, 273, 274, 276, 278, 375, 377, and 465. Completion of these courses does not, however, assure admission into the graduate program, nor is completion of all the requirements essential for application to the program. Any required undergraduate courses not completed prior to graduate admission will be added to the graduate program.

Health Professions—Premedical, Predental, and Preveterinary Programs. The URI Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) helps students preparing for medical school, dental school, veterinary school, or physician assistant programs. URI’s Health Professions Advisory Committee offers students academic counseling and information on the admissions process.

Students should select their undergraduate major based on their own interests and abilities, choosing one carefully with appropriate advice from the HPAC. They should also make sure that their major provides a foundation of knowledge necessary for the pursuit of several career alternatives. It is not advisable for students to select their undergraduate majors solely or primarily to enhance their chances of being accepted by a professional school.

Students interested in completing required course work for entrance to postgraduate colleges of medicine, dentistry, or veterinary medicine or physician assistant programs must register with the HPAC Office located in the Honors Program, Lippitt Hall, Room 300; 401.874.5875.

General Requirements. For students preparing to apply to postgraduate programs of medicine, dentistry, physician assistantship, or veterinary medicine, the program of study includes courses in humanities, English and literature, basic sciences, mathematics, social sciences, and communication. These courses will fulfill basic admissions requirements. It is strongly recommended that students complete the required course work at the same time they meet undergraduate degree requirements. Any major or concentration is acceptable, provided that the minimum requirements for admission into a professional school are fulfilled. Ideally, these requirements should be substantially completed before a student takes the national admission test (MCAT, OAT, DAT, VAT, or GRE) in the spring semester of junior year. Recommended courses for fulfilling the basic admissions requirements follow, with the minimum required number of credits shown: Biology, 8 credits from the following (or their equivalents)—BIO 101, 201, 302, 304, 327, 329, 341, 352, 437, 453; MIC 211; Chemistry, 16 credits, including general inorganic chemistry (CHM 101 with Lab 102 and CHM 112 with Lab 114) and organic chemistry (CHM 227, 228, 226 [lab]); Physics, 8 credits, including PHY 111, 185, 112, 186, or PHY 203, 273, 204, 274, or their equivalents; and Mathematics, 6 credits through calculus, MTH 131 and 132, or MTH 141 and 142.

Applying to Professional Schools. Most medical and dental schools require that a committee letter of recommendation from the home institution accompany a student application for admission. To seek such endorsement, students must provide the HPAC with the following items, typically in the second semester of their junior year, prior to submitting an application to a professional school: a request from the applicant to the HPAC for a letter of evaluation in support of their application to medical or dental school; an official report of their SAT scores from the testing agency, high school, or secondary school; official, recent academic transcripts of all college courses taken at URI and elsewhere; official reports of scores on the appropriate admission test (MCAT, DAT, or OAT) sent directly to the HPAC from the testing agency; an autobiography with a commentary on the way the applicant’s career goals have developed; a description of all extracurricular activities; a description of all honors bestowed on the student; a description of volunteer hospital, dental, veterinary, or other health-related work; and a minimum of five letters of evaluation written by persons who can evaluate candidly the applicant’s experience and ability to engage in professional and scientific study. Personal interviews with HPAC members are held in the spring semester and included in the candidate’s final evaluation. As a result of this evaluation, the HPAC determines the level at which the candidate will be recommended for admission to professional school.

Physician Assistant programs and veterinary programs do not require committee letters; however, students are encouraged to seek guidance from the pre-health advisor and to attend relevant professional development workshops offered by the HPAC throughout their undergraduate studies.

Premedical Studies. Candidates should become familiar with their prospective medical schools’ admission requirements. These are listed in “Medical School Admission Requirements,” published annually by the Association of American Medical Colleges. Copies of this reference and the requirements of certain medical schools are available from the HPAC secretary. Medical schools generally require at least a 3.50 grade point average and high scores on the required Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), taken preferably in the spring semester of the third undergraduate year.

The URI-Brown Early Identification Program for Sophomores. This plan identifies sophomore premedical students at URI for consideration for early acceptance into the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. To be eligible, you must be a Rhode Island resident who is highly motivated, exceptionally qualified, a graduate of a Rhode Island high school, and a sophomore with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.50 after completing at least three semesters of academic work at URI. In December of each year, eligible students must apply in writing to the URI Health Professions Advisory Committee to request nomination to this program. In early February, the HPAC conducts a careful evaluation of each applicant’s academic and personal qualifications. A completed application is forwarded to Brown’s dean of medicine along with the committee’s letter of evaluation for each nominated student. Final decisions to accept applications are made by the admissions committee at Brown. When candidates are accepted, they assume the same status as their Brown counterparts, and continue their studies at URI. They can major in any field of study, so long as they continue to show academic excellence while completing the required premedical courses. They are also invited to take one or two of their premed courses at Brown with their future classmates, and are included in various events sponsored by the Brown Medical Student Society.

URI Postbaccalaureate Preprofessional Programs. Potential premedical, predental, or preveterinary candidates who already have degrees from URI or other colleges must first consult with the URI health professions advisor. They will be advised on completing the basic admission requirements prior to submitting an application. These students must be evaluated by the HPAC in the spring semester in order to be recommended to professional schools.

Prelaw Studies. For students who plan professional study of law, guidance and program advice are provided by the Pre-Law Advising Coordinator, Lawrence Rothstein (; 401.874.2730) and by several pre-law advisors. Students should contact Professor Rothstein as soon as possible after admission to the University to be placed on the Pre-Law Society email discussion listserv LAWURI.

In addition, students should consult the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC) Web site at for information about law schools and the admissions process and visit the Pre-Law Home Resource Center on the second floor of Washburn Hall. LSAC finds it inappropriate, given the wide range of a lawyer’s tasks, to prescribe either a set of prerequisite courses for prelaw students or preferred major departments. Rather, it recommends that students choose their majors according to their own individual intellectual interests and “the quality of undergraduate education” provided by various departments and colleges. “Shortly stated, what the law schools seek in their entering students is ... accomplishment in understanding, the capacity to think for themselves, and the ability to express their thoughts with clarity and force.” The association emphasizes that “the development of these fundamental capacities is not the monopoly of any one subject-matter area, department, or division.”

Teacher Education Programs. The University of Rhode Island offers a variety of academic programs leading to teacher certification at both the undergraduate and the graduate levels. Undergraduate teacher education programs are offered by departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of the Environment and Life Sciences, and the College of Human Science and Services. The School of Education and Office of Teacher Education provide the coordination, planning, evaluation, and promotion of all teacher education programs at the University. The following programs are offered at the undergraduate level: early childhood education, elementary education, physical and health education, music education, and secondary education. The University also allows students enrolled in the elementary or secondary education program to complete course work for a middle level endorsement. To find specific program descriptions and information, refer to the index at the back of this catalog.

Admission. Students interested in undergraduate teacher education programs are required to apply for admission to the Office of Teacher Education. Applications for admission to teacher education programs are normally submitted during the sophomore year. For early childhood, elementary, secondary, music, and physical education, students develop an application portfolio. Applications will be reviewed by a departmental screening committee based on the following criteria: 1) recommendations from faculty and others who have knowledge of the candidate’s experience or interest in working in education; 2) a writing sample expressing career goals, experience in working with children, and expectations as a teacher; 3) passing scores on the PPST: Reading 179, Writing 177, Math 179 (composite score of 535; no more than 3 points below passing) or SAT composite score of 1150 (minimum scores 530 verbal, 530 math) based on the Rhode Island Program Approval process, subject to change by the Department of Education; 4) the student’s academic record, including a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 or better. In addition, for the secondary education and music education programs, a grade point average of 2.50 in the Arts and Science major or specialization. Individual departments or programs may also require an interview.

Transfer students should be advised that academic work completed at URI is a primary factor in the admission decision. Therefore, students must complete one semester of work at the University before they can be considered for admission to the teacher education programs. This may extend the time required for degree completion.

Students in the School of Education graduate and undergraduate certification and licensure programs will be required to take and pass a content area exam(s) in their area of certification and any other exam required for state licensure prior to student teaching or final internship.

CCRI students majoring in early childhood education may apply to the URI Early Childhood Education Program directly from CCRI following the procedures outlined above. Acceptance into the program is contingent upon admission and enrollment at URI.

Admission to all programs is competitive, and applicants meeting the minimum criteria described above may not be admitted because of limited space. For additional information, students should consult as early as possible with the specific department in which they wish to enroll or their University College advisor.

Students denied admission can petition for a review of the decision. In such cases, the departmental screening committee meets to consider the appeal. Only exceptional circumstances will lead the appeal committee to override the academic record criteria (2.50 cumulative grade point average and 2.50 in the academic major or specialization).

Applicants who fail to gain admission should seek counsel from an appropriate advisor. Students may reapply for admission to a teacher education program but should understand that this may delay their anticipated graduation date.

Admissions to teacher education programs at the graduate level are governed by the Graduate School in consultation with academic departments. Students with a bachelor’s degree should consult this catalog’s “Graduate Programs” section and departments regarding individual program requirements.

Certification. A teaching certificate is, for all practical purposes, a license to teach in a given state, at a specific level, and in a certain type of job. Rhode Island, like other states, requires its public elementary and secondary teachers to hold certificates to ensure that students are taught only by persons who meet specified standards of preparation, health, citizenship, and moral character. Students in the School of Education, graduate and undergraduate certification and licensure programs, will be required to take and pass a content area exam(s) in their area(s) of certification and any other exam required for state licensure prior to student teaching or final internship. Contact the Office of Teacher Education for the passing scores required for each discipline.

Graduates of a state-approved teacher education program at the University are eligible to receive an initial teaching certificate in Rhode Island and in over 40 other states through the Interstate Certification Compact (ICC). However, states will grant certification through the ICC only for certifications offered by the state. For example, a state that does not have a certification program in early childhood education (nursery school through Grade 2) will not grant a certificate in that area to a graduate of the University’s program in early childhood education without reviewing the student’s transcript to see if it meets that state’s guidelines for elementary education. Therefore, students interested in applying for certification in states other than Rhode Island should always contact the department of education in that state and ask: 1) if the state has the area of certification the student is interested in pursuing at URI; and 2) if the state grants initial teacher certification under the ICC to students who have graduated from a Rhode Island state-approved teacher education program. Also, the student should ask the department to mail the state’s application materials for certification. If the state is a member of the ICC, graduates of URI are generally entitled to initial certification for a period of five years following their date of graduation. After receiving another state’s certification application, the applicant should read the directions for certification carefully and submit all required documentation.

If the state in which you are requesting certification is not a member of the ICC or does not have certification for your area of study, you should ask that state’s office of teacher certification to evaluate your transcript and indicate any courses or experiences you would need for certification in that state.


Special Academic Opportunities

English as a Second Language. English as a Second Language is not remedial at URI. Non-native-speaking students who want to continue to perfect their English so as to enhance their chances of success in their studies may do so by taking courses in the English Language Studies Program. ELS 112 and 122 are two regularly offered courses that count toward the written communication requirement in the general education program. Students who need these courses are strongly urged to take them in their freshman year. Students can also take ELS 312 and 322 to strengthen their oral English skills. For more information, contact or call 401.874.2395.

Feinstein Center for Service Learning. Established by a generous endowment from Rhode Island philanthropist Alan Shawn Feinstein in 1995, the Feinstein Center for Service Learning promotes the integration of service with academic study in order to enhance student learning and involvement with communities and their agencies. We believe that student involvement in meaningful activities will deepen civic responsibility and allow students to implement what they are learning in the classroom. Active involvement with community issues and concerns builds critical thinking and interpersonal skills and fosters an appreciation of larger social implications. First-year students are introduced to civic engagement through their required URI 101, Traditions and Transformations course. Other programs include Americorps: Scholarships for Service; Clearinghouse for Volunteers; Feinstein Enriching America Program; First Book URI; Jumpstart at URI; URI S.A.V.E.S.; and Service Learning Courses. For more information contact the Feinstein Center for Service Learning at 401.874.7422.

Honors Program. The University Honors Program offers motivated students opportunities to broaden their intellectual development and strengthen their preparation in major fields of study. The program consists of courses in analytical thinking skills that prepare academically talented students to get the most from classes throughout their undergraduate years, a colloquium that brings distinguished authorities to campus from across the nation, special tutorials in major concentrations of study, and independent research projects under the guidance of a faculty sponsor. Honors courses at the 100 and 200 levels treat general topics and usually count for general education credit in particular divisions. Those at the 300 and 400 levels are more specialized and often are used to fulfill the requirements of a major.

Students may take honors work if they meet the following standards: freshmen must have graduated in the incoming upper 10 percent of their high school class or have been offered a Merit Scholarship.Sophomores, juniors, and seniors must have earned at least a 3.30 cumulative grade point average. (Under special circumstances, these eligibility requirements may be modified with the permission of the Honors Program director.) Students from schools that do not rank should submit a copy of their high school transcript and a recommendation from a faculty member to the Honors Program; the Honors Director will determine eligibility based on these materials. Transfer students must have received a GPA of 3.30 or better at their previous institution to be eligible for honors courses.

Eligible students may participate in the Honors Program in one of two ways: they may take honors courses on an occasional basis, registering for any number or pattern of courses that interest them; or they may do honors work on a regular basis, meeting the specific requirements to receive the transcript notation “Completed the University Honors Program.” To achieve this certification a student must complete a minimum of 15 honors course credits that meet the following requirements: 1) three credits of Honors Seminar at the 100 or 200 level; 2) three credits Honors Colloquium (HPR 201 or 202); 3) three credits of Honors Tutorial at the 300 or 400 level; 4) six credits at the 400 level, which may be either six credits of Senior Honors Project (HPR 401, 402) or three credits of the Senior Honors Project (HPR 401) and three credits of the Senior Honors Seminar (HPR 411/412, or other approved Senior Seminar); and 5) a 3.30 grade point average for honors courses and a 3.30 cumulative grade point average.

The Honors Program houses the National Scholarships Office, which prepares students for prestigious national and international scholarship competitions and advises students who wish to pursue postgraduate degrees in the health professions. To learn more about this and other Honors opportunities, please visit

Marine and Environment-Related Programs. Interest in marine science and oceanography at the University dates back to the mid-1930s. Over the past three decades, this strong emphasis on marine studies has extended to environmental topics, developing into an array of undergraduate programs in the natural, physical, and social sciences.

There are dozens of majors with a marine or environmental focus. In the College of Engineering, URI offers chemical engineering, ocean engineering, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering. In the College of the Environment and Life Sciences, the majors are aquaculture and fishery technology, biological sciences, biology, environmental and natural resource economics, environmental horticulture and turfgrass management, geosciences, landscape architecture, marine affairs, marine biology, microbiology, and wildlife and conservation biology. Several of the majors are offered jointly with the Graduate School of Oceanography. The Graduate School of Oceanography also offers undergraduates a minor in oceanography (see page 39).

Undergraduates are encouraged to explore opportunities at the Narragansett Bay Campus for active participation in the oceanographic sciences. Juniors and seniors may spend an entire semester at the University’s Bay Campus pursuing their individual marine interests, for which they receive full academic credit. They work as part of a research team in the laboratory and in the field under the direct guidance of the Graduate School of Oceanography faculty.

Working with academic advisors, students can identify their majors and select the courses best suited to their individual academic objectives and career goals. A list of relevant courses appears under “Marine and Environmental Topics” in the course descriptions later in this catalog.

National Student Exchange Program. The National Student Exchange (NSE) program offers URI students the opportunity to study at more than 180 participating colleges and universities in 55 states, U.S. territories, and Canadian provinces, paying in-state rates or URI tuition while maintaining their status as URI students. NSE offers the opportunity to explore new geographical areas, experience academic diversity, and study under different educational and social circumstances in various parts of North America. Financial aid is available to participants. For further information, contact the Office of International Education and National Student Exchange in Taft Hall at 401.874.5546.

New England Land-Grant Student Exchange Program. Students with special academic interests can take advantage of the talent and resources available at the region’s state universities without having to become a degree candidate at another institution. Under a cooperative agreement, URI students can study for one or two semesters at the other New England land-grant institutions if they wish to take a course, a sequence of courses, or part of a program not available at URI. Students participating in this program pay their normal URI tuition and fees and maintain their status as URI students. Advisors and members of the University College staff have more information about this program and its requirements.

Office of Internships and Experiential Education (OIEE). The OIEE is an academic program that provides undergraduate students with opportunities for semester-long internships (fall, spring, and summer). The internship program is designed for motivated students who wish to apply classroom learning to field experiences in career related settings. Student interns are supervised by a qualified professional at their placement site and by a faculty advisor from their academic major. Students from most undergraduate curriculums may apply for part-time or full-time internships and may earn from 6-15 free-elective credits. In order to apply to the program, a student must have a minimum GPA of 2.50 and junior or senior standing.

Students enrolled in internships are also required to participate in a seminar provided by the OIEE. The seminar is the graded portion of the internship experience based upon a portfolio project, a successful learning contract, a career/graduate school project, and other assignments used to help students connect their experience with their academic foundation. For more information, call the office at 401.874.2160.

Rhode Island Interinstitutional Exchange. Full-time students matriculated at one of the public institutions of higher education in Rhode Island may enroll for a maximum of seven credits of their full-time schedule per semester for study at one of the other public institutions at no additional expense. Each institution will determine and maintain the integrity of the degree to be awarded. Students will be subject to the course selection process applicable at the receiving institution. Off-Campus Study and Feinstein College of Continuing Education Special Programs courses are not included in this program, nor are students who are taking courses only during Summer Session. Students interested in this arrangement should contact Enrollment Services.

Study Abroad. The Office of International Education and National Student Exchange sponsors University programs abroad, helps students make arrangements for foreign study, and maintains information about overseas study programs. The office also assists in the evaluation of credits from study abroad. The University sponsors exchange programs with universities in Denmark, England, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Norway, and Spain, and URI is a member of several consortiums that enable URI students to participate in programs throughout the world. URI also participates in the New England-Quebec and New England-Nova Scotia exchange programs, making study available on an exchange basis at any of 21 English- and French-speaking universities in these Canadian provinces.

Many of these exchange programs make study abroad available to URI students at a modest cost. The study abroad director and advisors help students who wish to participate in these or other approved academic programs in choosing the appropriate programs, obtaining prior approval for courses to be taken abroad, and retaining matriculated status at URI during their absence from campus. Most forms of financial aid are applicable to study abroad. For more information, contact the Office of International Education and National Student Exchange, Taft Hall, room 107. Email: Web site:

Summer Sessions. The University provides a full range of undergraduate and graduate course offerings during two five-week sessions on the Kingston and Providence campuses. Courses begin immediately after Commencement and are offered during day and evenings as well as on-line. Summer intensives are offered at varying dates in the alternate session, and a number of special programs, including study in foreign countries, internships, and clinical placements, are available. Students may attend either or both campuses and enroll in any summer session. Students who are not matriculated at URI who are expecting to apply summer credit to their academic degree program are advised to obtain prior approval from their home campus before registering. Maximum course load is seven credits per summer session, including simultaneous courses in the alternate session. Exceptions are allowed with permission of the student’s academic dean.


Military Science and Leadership (Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps or “ROTC”)

Military Science and Leadership (Army ROTC) is one of the nation’s top leadership programs, with many benefits to joining. Military Science and Leadership (Army ROTC) is an elective curriculum students take along with required college classes. It gives students the tools, training, and experience that will help them succeed in any competitive environment. Along with great leadership training, Military Science and Leadership (Army ROTC) offers two-, three-, and four-year scholarships covering full tuition and fees, book money, and a monthly allowance ranging from $300 for freshmen to $500 for seniors.

Because Military Science and Leadership (Army ROTC) is an elective, students can participate during their freshman and sophomore years, known as the Basic program, without any obligation to join the Army.

Enrollment in any Military Science and Leadership (Army ROTC) course allows students to compete for off-campus training at the following U.S. Army schools: Airborne, Air Assault, Northern Warfare, and Cadet Troop Leadership Training (CTLT).

The Minor in Military Science and Leadership. Completion of 18 credits of MSL course work is required.

Interested students should contact Joanne LaChapelle at 401.874.5459.



Grades and Points. Student grades are reported as A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, and F. The unqualified letter grades represent the following standing: A, superior; B, good; C, fair; D, low grade, passing; F, failure; S, satisfactory; U, unsatisfactory; NW, enrolled—no work submitted.

Grades are given grade point values as follows: A, 4.00 points; A-, 3.70 points; B+, 3.30 points; B, 3.00 points; B-, 2.70 points; C+, 2.30 points; C, 2.00 points; C-, 1.70 points; D+, 1.30 points; D, 1.00 points; F and U, 0 points. P, S, and NW are not calculated in the grade point average.

Final grade reports are made available to all students via the e-Campus system. Midsemester grade reports are made available to all freshmen via the e-Campus system at the midpoint of each semester. These midterm reports are intended to alert freshmen to their academic status and to aid in advising. Midterm grades are not recorded on permanent academic records, nor are they figured into grade point averages.

A grade may be reported as “incomplete” only when course work has been passing but not completed due to illness or another reason that in the opinion of the instructor justifies the report of incomplete. Undergraduate students must make arrangements with the instructor to remove the incomplete by the following midsemester. Incomplete grades not removed from an undergraduate student’s record by the end of two years will remain on the student’s permanent record.

Students are required to make up failures in required courses. The course should be repeated when next offered. No limit is placed on the number of times a course may be repeated, but the credit requirement for graduation is increased by the number of credits repeated. Students are not required to make up failures in elective courses.

Certain courses do not lend themselves to precise grading, and for these courses only S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory) will be given to all students enrolled. S/U courses are labeled as such in the course descriptions in this catalog. S/U courses are not counted as courses taken under the Pass-Fail option.

Pass-Fail Grading Option. This plan encourages undergraduate matriculated students to increase their intellectual breadth and discover aptitudes in new areas of knowledge. A matriculated undergraduate student above the freshman level who is not on probation may register under this plan for courses considered to be free, unattached electives by the college in which he or she is enrolled. Courses designated in the student’s curriculum as degree requirements, general education requirements, and military science courses may not be included. Nonmatriculating students are not eligible for the pass-fail grading option.

A student choosing to take a course under this plan must notify his or her advisor, academic dean, and the Office of Registration and Records, in writing, prior to the end of the add period of each semester. The instructor is not informed.

Grades will be P (pass) or F (fail). The P grade is credited toward degree requirements but not included in the grade point average. The F grade is calculated in the same manner as any other failure. A student may change from the P-F option to grade by notifying Registration and Records in writing before mid-semester.

A student may elect no more than three P-F courses a semester and no more than two P-F courses during a summer.

Second Grade Option. Students may exercise a second grade option by repeating a course in which the student earned a C- or lower. Only courses that fall within the student’s first 30 attempted credits taken at the University may be selected for this option. Students must exercise this option no later than the next two semesters for which the student registers after completing 30 credits. Transfer students may exercise the second grade option for courses taken during their initial semester at the University. This option must be exercised during the next two semesters for which they register after their initial semester. Only the grade earned when the course was repeated will be used in the calculation of a student’s grade point average, and only the credits earned for the repeated course will apply toward the graduation requirements. All grades earned for a given course shall remain on a student’s permanent academic record. To take advantage of this option, students must obtain approval from their academic deans and submit the appropriate form to Enrollment Services prior to midterm of the semester in which the course is being repeated. The second grade option may be used only once per course.


Dean’s List

Undergraduate matriculated students who have achieved certain levels of academic excellence are honored at the end of each semester by inclusion on the Dean’s List. The Office of Registration and Records will publish lists of students who have attained the required grade point average.

A full-time student may qualify for the Dean’s List if he or she has completed 12 or more credits for letter grades and achieved a 3.30 grade point average.

A part-time student may qualify for Dean’s List if he or she has accumulated 12 or more credits for letter grades and achieved a 3.30 grade point average.


Probation and Dismissal

A student will be placed on scholastic probation if his or her overall cumulative grade point average falls below 2.00. For purposes of determining dismissal of part-time students, scholastic standing committees will consider an accumulation of 12 credits as the minimum standard for one semester’s work.

A student will be dismissed for scholastic reasons when he or she has a deficiency of eight or more grade points below a 2.00 average after being on probation for the previous semester. A student on probation for the second successive semester who has a deficiency of eight or fewer grade points below a 2.00 average will continue on probation. At the end of the third semester of probation, a student will be dismissed. Students who obtain less than a 1.00 average in their first semester will be dismissed automatically.

A student subject to dismissal will be so notified by the dean, after which he or she will have five days to file a written appeal with the dean.

Students are expected to be honest in all academic work. Instructors have the explicit duty to take action in known cases of cheating or plagiarism. For details, consult the University Manual at


Leave of Absence

Occasionally, students are forced to take a semester or two off because of circumstances beyond their control. Others find they simply need a break from studying. For these students, taking a leave of absence might be wise. Students who have an approved leave of absence for a semester or a year may register for the semester in which they plan to return without applying for readmission. Undergraduate students can apply for a leave of absence through Enrollment Services.


Withdrawal from the University

A student who wishes to withdraw from the University prior to the end of the semester or summer session shall do so according to procedures established by Enrollment Services. If the withdrawal process is completed satisfactorily and the student has cleared all financial obligations to the University, the date of withdrawal will be noted on the student’s permanent academic record. No grades for the current semester will be recorded.

Students who withdraw from the University after the last day of classes but before a semester ends will be graded in all courses for which they are officially registered. If a student withdraws from the University after midsemester, grades will be recorded for any course that has an officially specified completion date prior to the date of withdrawal.

A student who withdraws from the University after midsemester and who seeks readmission for the next semester will be readmitted only with approval of the Scholastic Standing Committee for the college or school in which registration is desired.


Graduation Requirements

To graduate, a student must have completed the required work for the curriculum in which he or she is enrolled with the minimum cumulative grade point average established by that curriculum. (If no minimum cumulative grade point average is specified by the curriculum, students must have an overall cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.00). In addition, students must abide by community standards as defined in the University Manual and Student Handbook.

The work of the senior year has to be completed at the University of Rhode Island. Exceptions must be approved by the faculty of the college in which the student is enrolled.

Any student who has met the requirements for a second bachelor’s degree may be granted two bachelor’s degrees and issued two diplomas.

Any student who has met the requirements for two separate majors within any single bachelor’s curriculum has earned a double major and may have both fields listed on his or her permanent record.

Each undergraduate college has specific procedures for student requests for exceptions to courses of study or to other degree requirements or academic rules. Undergraduate students who seek exceptions to any University rule pertaining to their academic circumstances, including degree requirements and courses of study, may contact the offices of their respective college deans.

Students who complete at least 60 credits of their work at the University are eligible to graduate with distinction. Grades in all courses attempted at the University will be included in the calculation of the grade point average. Those who attain a cumulative grade point average at the time of graduation of at least 3.30 are recognized as graduating cum laude. Those who achieve a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.50 graduate magna cum laude, and those who attain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.70 graduate summa cum laude.


University Manual

University regulations governing matters such as conduct, grading, probation and dismissal, academic integrity, withdrawal from the University, and graduation requirements are fully explained in the University Manual, which is available for reference in the library and in the deans’ offices or on the Web at

Such rights and responsibilities are also described in the Student Handbook, which is available from the Office of Student Life and on the Web at

Top | Previous | Next


You can also view the Course Schedule in e-Campus, where courses can be searched by semester, meeting time, or instructor.