Cooperative Extension Fact Sheets
Science And Math #1
A Hands-on Exploration Of Everyday Science And Math
Science and math are all around us and we use them everyday. For example, do you realize that science and math are involved in
- Riding a bike
- Saving your allowance to buy the latest CD
- Making cookies
- Swinging a bat
- Deciding what time to get up in the morning to get ready for school
- Getting electricity to your TV
Science is not just facts, but a way of thinking. Science is a way for us to look at and to try to understand the world around us. We use science skills in almost everything we do. We observe, measure, predict, test and try things, make conclusions, and solve problems. Often we don't even notice that we're doing science or math! From Funtivities (Iowa State University)
Mathematics can be defined as the study of patterns and relations, with people interacting with each other and the physical world as they explore the process of thought, solve problems, make connections, reason, and communicate ideas. (RI Math Frameworks)
Math and science go hand in hand. In many of the activities available for hands-on or "experiential" learning, as youth observe, compare & record they will be measuring, estimating and solving problems. Not only are MATH & SCIENCE skills learned, but youth are developing their LIFE SKILLS. They are learning to be better communicators, keep records, be organized, and responsible.
When you look at the science concepts such as organizing and comparing you can really see the relationship between math & science.
There are many wonderful curriculums for youth to really get into exploring and having fun: Most are designed for hands-on learning in informal educational settings.
- SERIES / 4-H 9-12 yr olds (University of California-Davies) Science with snails, Earthquakes, Oak Woodlands, Chemistry & more
- Funtivities/ 4-H 3rd & 4th and also 5th & 6th (Iowa State University) Math & Science activities from Magnets to Bubbles
- Bag It! K-12 (Cornell University) Food Science & Nutrition using children's literature
- Electricity/ 4-H Beginners & Up ( Minnesota )
- Let's Explore Science preK Color & Light, Make It go, Sound & Music, and also Water & Floating (in pilot stage)
- *Other resources too!
Curriculum, Kits and Training are available - contact the office for more information.
Submitted by K. Anderson
For more information please call 401.277.5255
Back to Early
Back to Home Day Care