Skip to main content
Chinese sunset over the mountains


Session II in China:  June 14 - July 13, 2013

For FAQs on Session I at URI Click Here.


I don't have 8 weeks in the summer. Can I participate in the China portion only?

No.  But you may complete only the first of the two four-week sessions at URI.  (If you are currently enrolled in CHN 101 at URI, you may participate in the China portion only.)
Back to top

Do I have to make my own travel arrangements to China?

No. The Chinese Summer School makes round trip travel arrangements for the group from Providence to Hangzhou and obtains Chinese visas for the group. Make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months after the scheduled return from China and bring it with you to the welcome meeting on May 19.  The group will depart for China on June 14.
Back to top

What should I pack?

Pack lightly. There are washers and dryers in the International College dormitory.  Summer in Hangzhou is hot; for the day-to-day, casual summer clothing is approporiate, but you should also bring one or two formal outfits for company visits and for the final dinner.
Back to top

Is there a place to buy necessities?

Yes.  Across from the International Center there is a corner store. They have everything from drinks and snacks to toothpaste and hangers. They also have notebooks and writing utensils for class.

Back to top

Where is Hangzhou, China?

Hangzhou is two to three hours southwest of Shanghai depending on the mode of transportation.  The Chinese Summer School arranges for round trip airport transfer between Shanghai and Hangzhou.
Back to top

Will we be taking classes with students from other institutions?

No.  You will have only classmates from the URI Chinese Summer School.
Back to top

Will we have time to explore the city?

Yes.  We encourage you to explore the city in your free time and to put your language skills to use.  Become a regular at a local restaurant.  Visit a market, where you can buy food or goods.  Chat with the local Hangzhounese.
Back to top

Is there an on-site director in China?

Yes.  There will be an on-site director from URI for the month in China. Zhejiang University also has staff on site dedicated to summer programs.
Back to top

Where and how can I purchase meals?

You can buy a meal card when you are on campus and will be reimbursed for as much as they can when you return the card. You will be able to eat meals in the dining hall and continue to add more money as necessary. There are also restaurants around the school that take cash. You will find a great and filling meal for around 12 yuan, roughly 2 - 2.5 American dollars.
Back to top

What's the best way to get in touch with family in America?

There is a cell phone store across the street from the International College dormitory where you can purchase a cell phone with a sim card and phone cards. You will need a phone card to dial to the United States. Skype is also available, if you wish to bring your computer. There are cafes with wi-fi located near the campus gate. As well as internet capability in each of the dorm rooms. There will be an extra fee for internet access while in Hangzhou .
Back to top

What are the facilities like?

Chinese Summer School participants live in one of the International College dormitories at Zhejiang University's Yuquan Campus.  The International College houses students from all over the world, as well as a dining hall, classrooms, and offices.  Each dorm room as its own bathroom, air conditioning, and internet (for a fee).  Bedding is provided.
Back to top

chinese summer school

For answers to frequently asked questions about the URI portion of the Chinese Summer School: