Class of 2013 Commencement
A Few Notes About Security
- Students and guests should evaluate the contents of their bags and pockets, as they may be subject to search, as needed.
- Backpacks or duffel bags are prohibited.
- Bags larger than one cubic foot (12" x 12" x 12") will not be permitted, unless there is a medical or childcare related reason; in such cases they may be subject to additional security and delays.
- Best practice is to leave all bags in your car(s).
Identification Requirements: Students attending graduate commencement on Saturday or the undergraduate ceremonies Sunday must present either their URI campus identification or driver's license and be dressed in regalia as they enter the Ryan Center and college ceremony sites. Students who present their driver's license only will need to be checked against the graduate list before being allowed into the facility. Faculty and staff may be asked to present their identification as well.
Assembly for Procession
Assembly areas, processional routes, and seating plans will be indicated in the Commencement Program. Your college will provide you with important details. There are no commencement rehearsals.
Caps, Gowns, Hoods and Honor Cords
- If you plan to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, you must wear academic regalia which can be purchased from the University Bookstore in the Memorial Union, early April to May 17 (9 a.m. to 4 pm. Monday-Friday). These items are not returnable. URI Student ID is required.
- For your convenience, the bookstore will be open Commencement weekend on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m and on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. In addition, the Ram Zone will be open in the Ryan Center on Saturday from 11 a.m. until the conclusion of the Graduate Commencement Ceremony.
- Honor cords are not available at the Bookstore and must be purchased directly from the honor societies. Here is a link to a list/websites for all active honor societies on campus.
- Also see information on rain site tickets.
Doctoral degree recipients will receive their diplomas at the Graduate Commencement Ceremony. Diplomas for bachelor's and master's degree recipients will be mailed by late summer after grades have been processed. Diplomas will not be released to students who remain financially indebted to the University. Please be sure that your correct mailing address is on file with the Office of Enrollment Services.
Publication of Your Name in Program and News
- If you want URI to submit your name to the Commencement program, check to make sure you haven't restricted access to information about yourself in e-Campus, which the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) entitles you to do.
- To see if you have a FERPA restriction on your record, sign on to your e-Campus account and use the following navigation: "Self-Service Student Center" to "Personal Information" and other personal (use the pull-down menu) to "Privacy Settings" (click the "Go" circle) and the "FERPA restrictions" screen will appear. The following information must be free of any restrictions (or releasable): Name, Address, Major, Degree, Honors/Awards, and Academic Level. Be sure to save any changes you make.
- Your failure to comply with these instructions will result in your name being left out of the Commencement program, as well as the online database used to provide information of your achievements to newspapers. If you have any questions about this procedure, please contact the Office of Enrollment Services at 401.874.4467 or email email@example.com.
- To inform your newspaper (or any other publication) of your status as a URI graduate, visit uri.edu/news/commencement and follow the instructions for submitting your name. This is accessible just before and after Commencement.
Formal Announcements and Photographs
Information regarding printed announcements, suitable for mailing to your family and friends, is available from the URI Bookstore (401-874-2722) and jostens.com. Formal photographs may be ordered from Chappell at gradimages.com, (800.424.3686).
Commencement guests are not permitted near the graduate seating or platform areas at any time. We thank family and friends in advance for taking photographs during the ceremony only while they are seated. Guests are not permitted near the graduate-seating or platform areas at any time.
The Renaissance will be on sale during Commencement in the booth in the Memorial Union Tower entrance from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. for $60 each. Yearbooks can be ordered now online at jostens.com. If you had a senior portrait taken, you do NOT need to order a yearbook. A single copy of the yearbook is included with the sitting fee. Check out our Web site, uri.edu/yearbook, for more information. Yearbooks will include pictures from Commencement and will be mailed in late fall to the address you provide. Please call the Yearbook Office at 401.874.5897 with any questions or firstname.lastname@example.org.
General disability seating (located throughout the Ryan Center) will be honored only for those holding tickets. For those not holding tickets, general disability seating (the individual and one companion) is available in each of the other indoor venues. Wheelchairs only for those holding tickets will be available at the north and south entrances to the Ryan Center. Wheelchairs for individual college ceremonies will be available at the Disability Station at the Memorial Union Atrium 1 beginning at 10 a.m.
Parking and Information Services
Parking locations and designations are subject to change. Please check this site for the most accurate information.
During Commencement weekend, traffic on campus is unusually heavy and parking is very limited. Many of the regular routes that you are familiar with will be altered or closed in order to manage the large volume of traffic. We recommend that you carpool, use shuttles and public transportation, and, most of all, plan ahead. To make parking as easy as possible for you, please note the following:
- Graduate Commencement (Saturday): Attendees may park on the north and south sides of the Ryan Center in lots 20 and 35.
- Main Commencement (Sunday): Enter the campus via Upper College Road or Old North Road and follow directions of University Police and security officers. The RIPTA campus transit service will be operating throughout the campus. See the map showing the route and stops of this service.
- Priority Parking Permits for individuals with physical or medical conditions, can be reserved by calling the Visitors Center at 401.874.2133 no later than May 10.
- Walking Around Campus: Parking lots and individual events may be located up to a mile apart. Please wear comfortable walking shoes. Many campus paths lead uphill; some are unpaved. The RIPTA transit service will be operating throughout the campus. See the map showing the route and stops of this service.
- Please check this site for the most up-to-date information.
Tickets and Rain Plan
Tickets are not required for either Commencement ceremony, and there are no guest limits.
- HOWEVER, in the event that the Main Commencement Ceremony is to be held at the Ryan Center, Bachelor's degree candidates will receive two guest tickets with their academic regalia. Tickets are required and will be given to graduates upon their purchase of academic regalia at the University Bookstore in the Memorial Union. Additional guests should go directly to the indoor sites listed for each of the Colleges.
- Rain or Shine, the Main Commencement Ceremony is simulcast to Edwards Hall, Keaney Gymnasium, Mackal Field House, Fine Arts Center Recital Hall, and Memorial Union Ram's Den.
The Graduate and Undergraduate Commencement Ceremonies will be Webcast Live making it possible for many to enjoy the ceremony, virtually. It will be accessible on the URI LIVE web page.
Only certified service animals are permitted on campus during Commencement exercises. For the safety of all guests and your pet, please leave your pet at home.
Possession or Consumption of Alcohol
The possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited during the Commencement Ceremonies and related activities. We appreciate your cooperation.
Food and Refreshments
It is highly recommended that all graduates eat prior to robing and remain hydrated throughout the course of the day. For your convenience, refreshments will be available at the following locations. Payment is cash only.
- Ram's Den, Memorial Union, a la carte 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Sunday only)
- Ronzio's Pizza, Memorial Union, Saturday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Vendors around the Main Commencement Ceremony location and the Memorial Union may sell roses, beverages, pizza, and ice cream (Sunday only)
- Ryan Center Concessions
- South lot, Keaney and Mackal will also have refreshments
University Religious Centers
- Catholic Center, Chapel Way, 401-874-2324
- Episcopal Center at St. Augustine’s, 35 Lower College Road 401-874-2739
- Hillel Foundation, 6 Fraternity Circle, 401-874-2740