The University has announced several updates to the undergraduate commencement ceremony and schedule on Sunday, May 19, regarding individual college ceremonies, identification requirements, services for disabled guests, campus transportation, building access, and faculty regalia.
While the main commencement ceremony will remain at The Ryan Center and take place from 12:30 p.m. to about 2 p.m., the site and time have been changed to 10 a.m. in Keaney Gymnasium for the College of Nursing's individual ceremony; no tickets are required and all family and friends may attend.
The individual colleges will hold ceremonies before or after the main ceremony, at which each of their undergraduate students will cross a platform, shake hands with their college deans and other officials and receive their degrees. No tickets are required for these ceremonies and any number of guests may attend.
The complete schedule is as follows:
Morning College Ceremonies
No tickets are required for any of these ceremonies
- 9:30 a.m. College of Engineering, Mackal Field House
- 10 a.m. College of Continuing Education, Fine Arts Center Recital Hall
- 10 a.m. College of Nursing, Keaney Gymnasium
Ryan Center & Campus Livecasting Viewing Sites
- 10 a.m. Doors open at Ryan Center for guests with tickets
- 10 a.m. Edwards Auditorium and Memorial Union Rams Den open for livecast viewing
- 11:30 a.m. Mackal Field House, Keaney Gymnasium and Fine Arts Center open for livecast viewing
- 12:30 p.m. Main Commencement Ceremony begins, Ryan Center
Afternoon College Ceremonies
All begin at about 2:30 p.m., No tickets are required for any of these ceremonies
- College of Arts and Sciences, Ryan Center
- College of the Environment and Life Sciences, Ryan Center
- College of Business Administration, Keaney Gymnasium
- College of Human Science and Services, Mackal Field House
- College of Pharmacy, Edwards Hall
Students, faculty and staff
- Identification Requirements: Students attending graduate commencement on Saturday or the undergraduate ceremonies Sunday must present either their URI campus identification or driver's license and be dressed in regalia as they enter the Ryan Center and college ceremony sites. Students who present their driver's license only will need to be checked against the graduate list before being allowed into the facility. Faculty and staff may be asked to present their identification as well.
- Services for Guests with Disabilities: On Sunday, individuals with disabilities who have a ticket to the Ryan Center main commencement will be able to get a wheelchair at the Ryan Center north/south lobbies. Other guests needing a wheelchair for other sites should go the Memorial Union Atrium.
- Building Access: Access to campus buildings not involved in commencement will be restricted throughout Saturday, May 18 and Sunday, May 19.
- Faculty Regalia: If faculty store regalia in their offices, they are asked to take their robes home by Friday, May 17, and to bring them to the Ryan Center or college site to robe there for commencement ceremonies.
- Campus Transportation: Rhode Island Public Transit Authority buses dedicated to commencement will be on a continuous campus route at no charge; campus vans will also run in a continuous loop to/from the Ryan Center and the college commencement/viewing sites.
Please view the map for these locations.