Follow this procedure for each and every semester
• Make sure your documentation of disability is current. For most students the documentation given when they enter URI is sufficient, but we may need to ask for updates from time to time.
• The accommodation process begins as soon as you schedule a meeting with a DSS counselor by calling the office at 401-874-2098. (We are available for appointments before each semester - even when classes are not in session!)
• During your appointment, discuss the appropriate and reasonable accommodations you might need for that semester. Bring a copy of your class schedule including section numbers and professors' names so necessary accommodation letters can be prepared.
• After two to three work days, come back to DSS and sign out your accommodation letters.
• Bring the letters to a private meeting with each professor to discuss, sign and date the Accommodation Request Letter. The professor keeps a copy of this letter.
• Return the original, signed letter to the DSS office. The accommodation is now in place.
• Remind the professor in a timely manner (one week in advance) for each of the accommodations which require their active participation (for example, getting extra time on tests or needing private test space).
• Let DSS know immediately of any problems.
• Meet with DSS at the beginning of EVERY semester to discuss your schedule and needs.
At any point during the semester…
• A DSS counselor can meet with you to discuss study skills, time management, and other concerns or issues that may arise.
• Regular meetings are available for students who could benefit from extra support.