Transportation and Parking Accommodations
Campus Shuttle: All busses are accessible for riders with injuries and disabilities:
Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority (RIPTA) operates Kingston Connection at the URI Kingston Campus and nearby areas. All busses are wheelchair accessible and are open to URI students, faculty, and staff at no charge. Students are encouraged to use the Kingston Connection wherever possible in transport from parking lots to the inner campus. Commuter and Resident parking lots are equipped with accessible (wheelchair symbol) parking spaces close to the Shuttle stops. Point to point transportation is also available by reservation at 1-877-906-3539.
Disability-Accessible Designated Parking is available in all parking lots for student or staff cars displaying current, official, state-issued disability placards. Unauthorized parking is subject to fine and towing.
Temporary Parking Accommodations: A Step-by-Step Guide
URI Faculty or staff with temporary conditions are asked to contact the RI DMV for temporary disability parking placards.
Students with temporary injuries and who are unable to effectively use the Kingston Connection may be eligible for temporary parking status (up to 30 days, non-renewable).
Non-renewable Temporary Medical 30-day Parking Permit:
URI Parking Services provides temporary medical parking permits on recommendation from Disability Services for Students for students who have:
- A valid URI Parking Permit, and
- A documented temporary injury or medical condition that requires temporary parking closer than resident or commuter parking lots. Generally it is not necessary to come into the office to receive your permit.
- Please allow two (2) business days for processing. Additional information and documentation may need to be submitted. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Temporary permits allow students to park in legitimately marked parking spots in Faculty/Staff lots.
- Temporary permits DO NOT ALLOW parking in ANY disability accessible parking areas. (only RI State Temporary Parking Placards allow parking in designated disability spots)
- Tampering with or altering URI Temporary Parking Permits may be treated as a student conduct violation.
- Please complete the online Application Form for the 30-day Temporary Medical Parking Permit. Return by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 401-874-5694.
- Please have your doctor complete the Temporary Medical Documentation Form, including diagnosis, nature, severity, and duration of the medical condition. Your doctor's office will return the medical documentation form by email: email@example.com or by fax to 401-874-5694.
- If the recovery period will last longer than 30 days, please simultaneously apply for the RI State Temporary Parking Placard at the RI Department of Motor Vehicles. Temporary state placards are generally available within 30 days and are granted up to one year.
- Upon receipt of the completed application AND the temporary medical documentation form, DSS will notify parking services that you are eligible for a temporary permit.
- Parking Services will: a. verify that your parking permit is current, b. issue your temporary permit, c. deliver the permit to you by mail, currier, or student pick-up, d. authorize gated parking access for the duration of the permit.
- Any exceptions to the above procedures are handled on a case-by-case-basis, by-appointment-only with a DSS Advisor, and are dependent on medically documented need. Please call 401-874-2098 to arrange an appointment.
URI Ram Van:
The URI RamVan is a small wheelchair accessible, 3-10 passenger vehicle that provides transportation in addition to, and separately from, the Kingston Connection shuttle service.
The RamVan is intended for students with documented, permanent disabilities (as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act) to assist with navigating the URI Campus. Eligibility for the RamVan is determined on a case-by-case basis, and by appointment with a DSS Advisor. Please view the Documentation Guidelines for information about required documentation to access the RamVan Service.
At certain times of the year and ONLY as space is available, we may be able to accommodate certain students with temporary injuries, depending on medical severity of the injury. However, for students with temporary needs, the RamVan will not duplicate routes already covered by the RIPTA Kingston Connection.
Application procedure for the RamVan is the same for both permanent and temporary riders:
- Make an appointment with a DSS Advisor by calling 401-874-2098.
- Verify that your documentation of disability is current and complete each semester; or provide the DSS Advisor with complete medical documentation outlined in the URI Documentation Guidelines
- Complete the ride request form, which will determine time and place of pick up and drop off for each ride of the day.
- If your application is approved, sign the RamVan agreement form which describes specific RamVan policies and procedures.
- Allow at least two business days from the time of application to the first scheduled ride. Additions or changes to the ride schedule require 24-hour advance notice.
- The RamVan will provide rides to on-campus classroom locations and on-campus student employment (as space allows). The RamVan is NOT available for personal appointments or activities.
- All riders must be ready to enter the van at or before their designated pick up time and place. The RamVan cannot accommodate late riders, as this affects other students' ability to get to class on time.
- Riders agree to call in cancellations as far in advance as possible (preferably 24 hours). Riders who do not call to cancel are considered "no-shows."
- Consistent in-attention to or misuse of RamVan schedules and policies may result in forfeiture of the service.