Diseases and Illnesses-->Infections
- AEGIS.com - AEGIS or Aids Education Global Information System is a website for and about those with HIV/AIDS. It is updated daily and filled with helpful topics for the HIV/AIDS community.
- AIDSinfo - This website offers the latest federally approved information on research, clinical trials, and treatment of HIV/AIDS for consumers and health care providers. This website is a service of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- AIDSmeds.com - This website provides information on HIV medications. This website provides lessons on different aspects of the disease and provides access to different webcasts. Drug interaction information is available. This site subscribes to the HON code.
- Centers for Disease Control - This website from the CDC provides comprehensive information on HIV and AIDS including prevention, treatment and vaccine research. Este sitio está también disponible en Español.
- HIV Drug Resistance - This website, aimed at the HIV positive community, is focused on preventing, treating and managing HIV drug resistance.
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases - This website from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases provides fact sheets and brochures on HIV and AIDS including causes, prevention and treatment.
Este sitio está también disponible en Español.
- Talking With Kids: HIV and AIDS - This site describes techniques and topics designed for parents to educate and inform their children about HIV and AIDS. It incorporates many disscussion objectives and devices to inform young people.
- The Body: The Complete Guide To HIV/AIDS - This website is a comprehensive guide to HIV/AIDS. Many topics are discussed and readers can write in to have their questions answered.
Este sitio está también disponible en Español.
- Aetna InteliHealth: Chicken Pox - This site provides general information about chicken pox including symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, duration, and prevention.
- Centers for Disease Control - Center For Disease Control-Chicken Pox: Web site provides general information and FAQs about chicken pox.
- The Merck Manual - This site provides information about chicken pox as well as information concerning vaccination and children's health.
- Virtual Children's Hospital: Chicken Pox - This easy-to-read, one page site provides common questions and quick answers dealing with chicken pox (varicella-zoster) in pediatrics.
- Commoncold.org - This web site is an updated and referenced information source on the common cold.
- DrGreene.com: Common Cold - This site provides basic information about the common cold including basic information and tips to decrease germ exposure in an easy-to-read format. This site also subscribes to the HONcode principles.
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research - This website is sponsored by the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. This article provides an overview of the common cold including signs, symptoms, causes, diagnosis, screening, complications, and treatment.
- National Institutes of Health: Common Cold - This site sponsored by the NIH division of Allergy and Infectious Diseases provides general information about the common cold, giving an overview of the symptoms, treatment options, and prevention to avoid infection.
- Centers for Disease Control - This government sites provides information about the different types of hepatitis and includes links to educational resources. Links include fact sheets and frequently asked questions.
- Hepatitis Foundation International - A comprehensive web site dedicated to educating consumers and health care professionals about hepatitis. This site provides general information, news and research, and support group information.
- Hepatitis Neighborhood - The Hepatitis Neighborhood is an online educational resource operated by Priority Healthcare Corporation, a specialty pharmacy providing nationwide prescription services and patient management support for persons being treated for chronic conditions.
- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse - This website provides easy-to-understand information and graphics on hepatitis A, B and C. Also includes information about autoimmune hepatitis and vaccination for hepatitis A and B.
Legionnaires' DiseaseLyme Disease
- Centers for Disease Control - This website sponsored by the Center for Disease Control and the National Center for Infectious Disease provides up to date information on the prevention and treatment of the influenza virus (flu).
- Influenza.com - This site sponsored by Sanolfi Pasteur provides information about influenza (flu) in order to stay up-to-date with recent activity. It also includes a section about the history and science of the disease as well as recent news articles.
- Pandemic Flu - This site sponsored by the United States government provides information on pandemic flu and avian influenza. This site provides up-to-date information including current news and safety information.
- World Health Organization - This site for the World Health Organization includes information about the influenza (flu) pandemic and provides additional resources for avian flu, vaccinations, and current topics concerning the public.
- Centers for Disease Control - This website sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control provides general information on Lyme disease and offers links to information on other tick-borne diseases.
- Lyme Disease Association - This site provides information on lyme disease as it pertains to schools, includes picture of ticks and rashes, and a list of symptoms. It also provides a link detailing the ABCs of Lyme Disease.
- Lyme Disease Network - This website is sponsored by a non-profit foundation dedicated to public education of the prevention and treatment of Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses. The site provides general information on the disease and support group information.
- Centers for Disease Control - This site gives information about measles including the symptoms, complications involved with the disease, transmission, and information about the vaccine available.
- Kid Health for Parents - This site provides basic information about measles including the signs and symptoms, prevention of the disease, and treatment options.
- National Immunization Program - This website sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control provides general information on measles and the importance of vaccination.
MumpsOtitis MediaPharyngitis (Sore Throat)Pink Eye (Conjuctivitis)
- American Academy of Family Physicians - This website sponsored by the American Academy of Family Physicians provides basic information on mononucleosis (mono) and its symptoms. This site also provides links to more information on the disease. Este sitio está también disponible en Español.
- eMedicine.com - This site provides an overview of mononucleosis including information on the causes and symptoms of the disease as well as information about when to seek medical attention and diagnosis procedures. This site subscribes to HONcode principles.
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research - This website provided by the Mayo Clinic provides patient information on the signs and symptoms, treatment, and prevention of mononucleosis (mono).
- WebMD - Mononucleosis - This site provides general information about mono including the causes, symptoms, prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and medication options for the illness.
- American Academy of Opthalmology - This site sponsored by the Medem Medical Dictionary provides information about conjunctivits including the causes, symptoms, and types of pink eye (viral, bacterial, and allergic).
- eMedicine.com - This site provides an overview of pink eye and includes links regarding the causes and symptoms as well as advice when to seek medical attention and treatment and prevention information.
- MedicineNet - This website provides a good general overview on viral, bacterial and allergic forms of pink eye (conjunctivitis) and its treatment.
- Health A to Z - This site provides information about the infection as well as causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and further resources for more information. Subscribes to the HONcode principles.
- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse - This website provides easy-to-understand information in a fact sheet on prostatitis and infections of the prostate.
- Prostatitis Foundation - This site provides information on this illness and provides a self-test to determine if symptoms of the infection apply. Site available in Dutch, French, Sweedish, and Italian.
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Infections (STD/STI)
- Centers for Disease Control - This website provides information on the diagnosis and treatment of rabies. This site also provides statistics on the disease and tips for prevention, as well as providing links to helpful resources.
- Rabies.com - This interactive site provides a colorful display of information reagarding rabies including information about the prevention and treatment of the disease, as well as common questions and myth and facts.
- World Health Organization - This site sponsored by the WHO provides a one page fact sheet that describes rabies and includes up-to-date information about vaccination and immunization.
- American Social Health Association - The ASHA is recognized by the public, patients, providers, and policy makers for developing and delivering accurate, medically reliable information about many STDs. Subscribes to HONcode principles.
- Center for Disease Control - This site provides details of many different STDs/STIs and provides facts, statistics, research developments, and treatment options.
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases - This website provides a fact sheet about STDs and gives specific information and links on the various infections, such as herpes, chlamydia, and syphilis.
- National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health - This website brings you to an interactive tutorial that allows you to view the program or print out the information about STDs and provides information on bacterial and viral diseases, as well as prevention. Este sitio está también disponible en Español.
- The National Women's Health Information Center - Sponsored by the US Department of Health and Human Services, this site provides information about STDs and includes links regarding STDs and pregnancy as well as link to specific diseases.
- CDC Smallpox Home - This website provides updated information for both consumers and healthcare professionals on smallpox, disease transmission, and vaccinations. It also includes a frequently asked questions page. Este sitio está también disponible en Español.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services - This site provides links to information for kids, teens, and parents about smallpox and vaccination information. Este sitio está también disponible en Español.
- World Health Organization - This site provides basic information about the disease, its causes, symptoms, treatments, vaccinations, and its historical significance. Available in a variety of languages.
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- American Lung Association - This website from the American Lung Association provides information on the transmission and treatment of tuberculosis, as well as links to other related topics.
- Centers for Disease Control - This site includes an overview of what TB is, its causes, treatments, and prevention of the disease. It also gives information about latent and active TB as well as testing procedures.
- New York City Department of Health - This website is sponsored by the Bureau of Tuberculosis Control of the New York City Department of Health and provides up-to-date information about tuberculosis and its treatment.
- World Health Organization - This site provides basic information about tuberculosis and its impact worldwide. Available in a variety of languages.
Return to SubCategory Home
Copyright © 2003.
Pharmacy - University of Rhode Island. All rights reserved.
This website was developed and supported through a grant from the
National Library of Medicine (1G07LM07747).
Random Health Tip
Know the real serving or portion size for any food. A single serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.