Arming URI Police: A Comprehensive Process
In April 2014, the University announced that it would begin the process to arm its campus police officers. This decision was made after a year-long campus discussion with faculty, students, staff and other stakeholders. The process was initiated based on a report about a suspected public safety threat that occurred at the Chafee Social Science Center in April 2013. In the incident assessment and report, arming campus police was recommended as a way to improve the capabilities of the URI police as first responders to life-threatening emergency situations.
Below are links to the series of events, reports, University communications surrounding the decision and plan to arm campus police:
Reports & Resources
- May 23, 2014, Implementation Process for Arming Campus Police
- May 23, 2014, Timeline for URI Implementation Plan
- April 14, 2014, Report outlining the process for Consideration of Arming Campus Police
- Chafee Incident Initial Report, April 29, 2013 (or at http://www.uri.edu/emergency/ChafeeApril2013.pdf
- Government Relations Committee (2012) A report by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education (now R.I. Board of Education)
- Campus Security Commission (2010) An earlier report by the Board of Governors.
- Brown University, Bratton Group Report, May 2002. In addition to the URI and higher education reports, Brown University has shared its experiences and research that led to their decision to train and equip its campus police officers with firearms.
URI Community Notices
- 5/23/2014 Message from President Dooley: Process of Arming Campus Police
- 5/21/2014, Message to President Dooley from Vice President of Finance and Administration Christina Valentino and Stephen Baker outlining the implementation plan for arming URI Police
- 4/14/2014, Message from President Dooley to announce the process for arming URI Police
- 1/21/2014, Campus Security: Broadening the Discussion, Jan. 30
- 10/30/2013, Public Forum Today, Providence: Arming URI Police, Oct. 30
- 10/28/2013, Public Forum Today, Arming URI Police, Oct. 28
- 10/25/2013, Public Forum: Arming URI Police, Oct. 28 and 30
- 10/15/2013, Message from Provost DeHayes: Emergency Procedures
- 10/7/2013, Public Forum Today, Oct. 7: Arming URI Police
- 10/4/2013, Public Forum: Arming URI Police, Oct. 7
- 9/24/2013, Public Forum: Brown University's Experience Arming Campus Police, 9/25
- 9/20/2013, President Dooley: Public Safety
- 5/3/2013, President Dooley: Emergency response report second message and reminder to attend the forum
- 4/29/2013, President Dooley: Emergency response report and an invitation to the open forum on May 8, 2013
- 4/11/2013, From Provost DeHayes: Campus Safety
- 4/5/2013, Message from URI President David Dooley
Public Forums: Arming URI Police
Sponsored by the Offices of the President, Provost, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, and the Student Senate.
Forums held after September 2013 were streamed on URI Live
and are linked below:
Campus Security: Broadening the Discussion, Jan. 30
Feinstein Providence Campus, October 30
Kingston Campus, October 28
Kingston Campus, October 7
Brown University's experience with arming campus police,
Kingston Campus, September 25
An initial campus forum assessing the Chafee incident and discussing the issue of arming URI police was held on May 8.