We offer several different types of public education and awareness programs in both formal and informal structures. While we cannot possibly list all of the programs we can offer, the following is a sample. If you do not see something that you would like, please let us know and if we cannot offer the course, we may be able to direct you to someone who can. Some programs are available at no cost to a University affiliated organization or to other nonprofits/charities if available.
URI is an American Heart Association Training Center for Basic Life Support and Heartsaver CPR/First Aid courses. Through Health Services/Health Education, a regular schedule of CPR/AED/First Aid courses are offered throughout the year. Please visit their website for more information. The schedule will soon be posted on our website. We also offer standardized or specialized courses upon request for groups, large or small. For those who can't make a scheduled course but are still interested, please contact us for other options.
- "What to do in an Emergency?" (useful especially for building managers, housing units, RA's/GA's, Hall Directors, etc). Individual presentations can be targeted for the specific audience and can include topics from:
- What is EMS?, What does EMS do?, How can EMS help?, How do I get help?, What can I do to assist EMS?, etc
- Alcoholism (can be tailored to specific audience and can include topics such as drinking responsibly, drinking and driving, how alcohol affects you, etc)
- Alcoholism demonstration with Fatal Vision Goggles (simulates the vision of an intoxicated individual). Combined with a tricycle or walking a straight line, this provides a realistic demonstration.
- "What is a Heart Attack?, What is a Stroke?"
- Heartsaver CPR/AED (American Heart Association) - Basic CPR instruction (see above)
- Heartsaver First Aid (American Heart Association) - Basic First Aid instruction (see above)
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (American Heart Association) - CPR/AED for First Responders (see above)
- Introduction to the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- NIMS Incident Command System (ICS) Introduction - Courses in NIMS/ICS are very useful for almost anyone who would be involved in any capacity at the scene of an emergency or major event from public works to administrative to emergency responders.
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians First Responder Course
- NIMS Incident Command System (ICS) (all levels)
- NIMS ICS for Executives/Elected Officials