Credit by Examination
Academic departments may give proficiency examinations to requesting matriculating students, and to those nonmatriculating students who have been admitted to the University for a future term. Students need not be enrolled in the term in which the examinations are administered. Academic departments shall determine the frequency at which examinations will be offered.
Access the Proficiency Examination form here.
- Obtain the approval of the chairperson of the department in which the proficiency examination is to be attempted. The department chairperson's signature is required in Section 1 of the form.
- Confer with your academic dean regarding your eligibility to receive credit for the examination. Certification by your academic dean is required in Section 1 of the form.
- Deliver the certified form to Enrollment Services and pay the appropriate fee. Upon payment, you are eligible to take the examination. Enrollment Services will retain copy #4 of the form.
- Make arrangements for taking the examination with the offering department. After scoring the examination, the examiner and the department chairperson must certify to your Academic Dean that the examination was passed at the appropriate level. The department chairperson will forward all three parts of the certified form directly to your Academic Dean's Office.
- Upon receipt of the certified form, the Academic Deans Office will post the credits to your academic record. A copy of the completed form should be returned to you by your Academic Dean's office.