Skip to main content
Scenes from Enrollment Services


The information below is designed to assist students in completing the necessary paperwork to receive VA Educational Benefits. Forms are available by visiting our Online Forms site, in the Office of Enrollment Services, your base education office, or the nearest Veteran's Affairs Regional Office.

The URI Veteran Email Address is:


URI Campus Contacts

Enrollment Services
Green Hall Great Room
Kingston RI

VA Certifying Officials (located in Green Hall, Kingston RI, serving all campuses)

Sharon Charlton

Roy Jones


URI Feinstein Providence Campus

URI CCE Veteran Affairs Office, Room 241


Admission (Kingston Campus)

Debbie Suggs, Transfer Advisor

URI Supports Student Veterans Committee (Co-Chairs)

Nancy Kelley, Assistant Dean HSS


Christine Dolan, Education Specialist


Certification for Fall and Spring

Students must complete a worksheet to verify intent to take classes and receive benefits for the Fall/Spring/Summer semester(s). We will only certify when we receive your worksheet and you are registered. Answer all questions and return the worksheet to Enrollment Services. Additional information regarding the certification process can be found on our Student Veteran Checkist

Tuition Residency

The Rhode Island Board of Education recently updated the States Policy for establishing

Instate Residency for Tuition purposes. A full description of the Residency Policy can be found at: .

If you feel you qualify for Instate Residency for Tuition purposes please complete the Application for Rhode Island Military Residency for Tuition Purposes found at:

Other Helpful Links

Feinstein Providence Campus Veteran Affairs Program

US Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Providence, RI

US Department of Veterans Affairs

Today's GI BILL

Operation Vets (a private site, founded by a URI student)


URI Disability Services for Students


  • Disclaimer: University of Rhode Island Enrollment Services provides external links as a convenience to our users. The inclusion of, or linking to, other web site URLs does not imply our endorsement of, nor responsibility for their content. University of Rhode Island Enrollment Services does not monitor external sites for accuracy. This link will take you to a website that may have different privacy, security, and accessibility policies than those of University of Rhode Island Enrollment Services. Please report any broken links to

Establishing Eligibility

If you have not previously received benefits, you must complete an Application for VA Benefits (VA Form 22-1990). You must also submit your basic eligibility documents from your unit education officer. These may be sent to the VA directly, or we can send them with your enrollment certification.

If you have previously received benefits while attending another institution, you must complete a Request for Change of Program of Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) or Request for change of Program or Place or Training Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (VA Form 22-5495).

If you are on active duty while attending our institution, you must complete an Application for VA Benefits (VA Form 22-1990). You must also submit a copy of your orders.

If you are a dependent of a disabled or deceased veteran, you must complete an Application for Survivors and Dependents' Educational Assistance (VA Form 22-5490).

Please notify Enrollment Services/VA with any changes that may occur such as:

  • Change from non-matriculated status
  • Change of majors
  • Change to/from double majors
  • Prior approval for off-campus studies
  • When you receive an Incomplete, NR or NW grade
  • When an incomplete, NW, NR grade is completed
  • Drop under full time, if certified full time*
  • Drop under part time, if certified part time*
  • Leave of Absence
  • Withdrawal
  • Dismissal

Drop under full time/part time, you must supply the VA rep with a letter (on dept. letterhead) from the class professor stating your last day of attendance to avoid further penalty.

The URI Veteran Email Address is:

Advance Pay

If you do not take any coursework in August, you may request advance pay. This is an option whereby the VA will issue a check for September and October (a little less than two months pay) and forward it to the Office of Enrollment Services for you to pick up shortly before classes begin. The idea here is that you may need some up-front cash for books, tuition, etc. Keep in mind, however, that if you elect this option, you will not receive another check until mid-December. That check will be for November attendance. If you choose this option, sign for it on the bottom of the worksheet.

However, advance pay will only be authorized if you have not received benefits for at least a 30-day period before classes begin. We need to have your certification in the mail by July 1 to allow the VA time to process your advance pay request.

Timely Receipt of Checks

Except for Advance Pay checks, which are sent to the Office of Enrollment Services, your checks will be mailed to your home directly from the VA to arrive during the month after you have attended the courses for which you are being paid. The address is the address which you have provided the VA, not necessarily the same as is maintained by the University. If you need to change your VA address, we have a VA form for that purpose. You might want to avoid using a residential life address until you have confidence that your mail is being delivered promptly.

A comment about the role of the Office of Enrollment Services is appropriate here. Keep in mind that we are a third party when it comes to your VA benefits. Your contract for educational benefits is with the VA. The University's obligation is to verify your enrollment in courses and items related to that enrollment. The VA then authorizes payment based on the information that you and the University have provided. We do not have direct access to VA computers; nor can we authorize payment. But we can, just as you can, call the VA and ask questions.

If your VA check is more than 10 days late in arriving, you should first call the VA directly at the toll-free number: 1-888-GI-BILL1. This will put you in contact with a VA counselor who can pull up your computer file and check on eligibility, certification, and payment. Have your VA file number (usually your social security number) ready. In most cases this call will get you the information you need in the most direct way possible. If you get an indication that a certification is lacking, do not hesitate to call us at 401.874.9500. We will verify what information has been sent to the VA.

Unless you are receiving VA Vocational Rehabilitation or Work-Study funds, your certifications will be sent to the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY, (1-888-GI-BILL1) rather than the local Providence, RI office. This is a condition by the VA to improve efficiency. The Providence Office will still respond to your inquiries at their toll-free number (1.800.827.1000).

IMPORTANT -- All students who are receiving either the Montgomery GI BILL Active duty or Selected Reserve MUST now verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments. This verification can be done either by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE), application or by using an automated telephone system (IVR) at 1.877.823.2378 and follow the prompts.


Attention: Please update your URIEmergencyALERT information here.

Attention:  As of October 1, 2013, both Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans for undergraduate students will have an interest rate of 3.86% and an origination fee of 1.072%. Graduate student Unsubsidized Loans will have an interest rate of 5.41% with an origination fee of 1.072%. Parent PLUS and Graduate PLUS loans have a fixed interest rate of 6.41% and an origination fee of 4.288%. Click here for more details.

Attention:  Please be sure your completed FAFSA includes the University of Rhode Island Federal School Code 003414.

Quick Links

Parent Plus Loan Application

Graduate Plus Loan Application

e-Bill Information

2013-2014 Tuition and Fee Information

Accept/Decline Financial Aid Awards

Financial Aid Awards


IRS Data Retrieval Option for FAFSA

URI Summer Sessions

Estimated Undergraduate Tuition and Fees 2014-2015

Estimated Graduate Tuition and Fees 2014-2015

Parent/Third Party Access to e-Campus

Non-Degree Student Registration Application

Request a Transcript

Office Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:30am to 4pm

9:30am to 4:15pm

Lobby Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:30am to 4:00pm

9:30am to 4:15pm

Telephone Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:30am to 4:15pm

9:30am to 4:15pm

Financial Aid Walk-In Counseling

11:00am to 3:00pm