A Proposal For:
A. General Information
- Name of institution
University of Rhode Island
- Name of administrative unit
- Title of proposed organizational unit
- Intended date of change
- Intended of institutional review and approval process
Council for Research/CAC/Graduate Council
President of the University
- Summary Description of organizational change:
- Signature of President:
David M. Dooley
- Person to contact during the review
- Signed agreements for any cooperative arrangements made with other institutions/agencies or private companies in support of the program
B. Rationale: There should be a demonstrable purpose and documented need for the proposed organizational change.
- Explain why the organizational change is being proposed.
C. Institutional Role: The organizational change should be clearly related to the published role and mission of the institution and be compatible with the organizational structure of the institution.
- Explain how the organizational change is consistent with published role and mission of institution and how it is related to institutional planning.
D. Interinstitutional Considerations: The organizational change should be consistent with all policies of the Board of Governors pertaining to the coordination and collaboration between public institutions of higher education.
- Estimate the projected impact of the organizational change on the other public higher education institutions in Rhode Island (e.g., loss of students or revenues), provide a specific rationale of the assumptions make in the projections, and indicate the manner in which the other public institutions were consulted in developing the projections.
- Describe any cooperative arrangements with other institutions relative to the organizational unit. (Signed copies of any agreements pertaining to the use of faculty, library, equipment, and facilities should be attached.)
- If external affiliations are required, identify providing agencies. (indicate the status of any arrangements made and append letters of agreement, if appropriate.)
E. Facilities and Capital Equipment: Facilities and capital equipment should be sufficient in quantity, quality and timeliness to support the organizational change.
- Describe the facilities and capital equipment (e.g., classrooms, office space, laboratories, and telecommunications equipment) and assess the adequacy of these resources relative to the purpose of the unit and to the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and state disability statutes.
- If new or renovated facilities are necessary, explain in detail (e.g., requirements, costs, sources of revenue, and expected date of completion) (Include this information on the budget form, which can be found at www.ribghe.org/publicreg.htm). [Note: RIBGHE's Facilities Committee will approve lease, purchase or other agreements and ensure that the facility meets all building, fire and health codes and ADA requirements.]
- Provide assurance that the institution's chief academic officer has worked with the facilities director (or equivalent) in the development of the assessments and estimates regarding facilities and capital equipment and that they agree on the adequacy of the estimates.
F. Financial Considerations: Institutional resources should be sufficient to support the organizational change and must cover the estimated cost of the change.
- Identify the anticipated expenditures related to the organizational change; include the costs of personnel, operations, equipment, facilities and other resources. Indicate by source anticipated revenues to support the proposed change.
Note: Excel budget forms, which are self-calculating, and may be downloaded from the RIOHE website at www.ribghe.org/publicreg.htm. Contact RIOHE's Academic and Student Affairs division for assistance in completing the forms.
- Describe how current institutional resources will be deployed or extra institutional resources will be obtained to support the organizational change (e.g., describe unit elimination, staff reallocations and/or external sources of monies)
- Provide assurance that the institution's chief academic officer has worked with the budget director and controller in the development of the financial projections and that they agree on the adequacy of the estimates.
G. Evaluation Criteria which can be used in the future to evaluate the success of the organizational change should be proposed.
- Describe the process and the criteria by which the organizational change will be monitored and periodically evaluated.