Regular Meeting of the Faculty Senate on Thursday, October 20, 2005 in the Cherry Auditorium, Chester Kirk Building
1. Call to order at 3:00pm
2. Disposition of Minutes of Faculty Senate Meeting #1, September 22, 2005 and Faculty Senate Meeting #1a, September 29, 2005 (attached).
3. Reports of Officers and Executive Committee
C. Activities of the Joint Strategic Planning Committee (Minutes of September 8, 2005 Meeting attached p. 13) - Vice Chairperson Martin.
D. Recommendation of the Executive Committee -- Vice Chairperson Martin:
- That the Faculty Senate endorse the revised Mission Statement for the University of Rhode Island:
University of Rhode Island Mission
The University of Rhode Island is the State's public learner-centered research university. We are a community joined in a common quest for knowledge. The University is committed to enriching the lives of its students through its land, sea, and urban grant traditions. URI is the only public institution in Rhode Island offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students the distinctive educational opportunities of a major research university. Our undergraduate, graduate, and professional education, research, and outreach serve Rhode Island and beyond. Students, faculty, staff, and alumni are united in one common purpose: to learn and lead together. Embracing Rhode Island's heritage of independent thought, we value:
- Creativity and Scholarship
- Diversity, Fairness, and Respect
- Engaged Learning and Civic Involvement
- Intellectual and Ethical Leadership
4. Report of the President - President Carothers
A. Status of Actions Forwarded to the President.
C. State of the Budget Address (attached pp. See color slides at http://www.uri.edu/facsen/FY06_Faculty_Senate_Budget_Present.pdf) - Vice President Weygand
5. Reports of Standing and Special Committees
A. The Four Hundred Thirty-Fourth Report of the Curricular Affairs Committee (attached pp. 29-33) - Senator Luebke.
B. Curricular Report No. 2005-06-1 from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate (attached pp. 34-35) - Vice Provost Pasquerella.
6. Unfinished Business
7. New Business