Regular Meeting of the Faculty Senate on Thursday December 12, 2002 in the Cherry Auditorium, Chester Kirk Building
1. Call to order at 3:00pm
Please note that prior to the call to order there will be a brief meeting of the General Faculty for the purpose of approving certification of candidates for degrees.
2. Disposition of Minutes of Faculty Senate Meeting #3, November 21, 2002 (attached).
3. Reports of Officers and Executive Committee
B. Activities of the Executive Committee (Minutes of Executive Committee Meetings #9, #10, and #11 attached pp. 3-10) -- Vice Chairperson Hollinshead.
C. Recommendations of the Executive Committee -- Vice Chairperson Hollinshead:
- That the Faculty Senate approve the URI World Wide Web Policy as it appears at http://www.uri.edu/home/help/www/web_policy.html with the understanding that the following amendment procedure will apply:
Modifications to this web policy shall be submitted to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee. If the Faculty Senate Executive Committee determines that the matter does not fall under Faculty Senate jurisdiction the Vice Provost for Information Services shall be informed of this determination, and the changes shall become effective upon approval by the President. If the Faculty Senate Executive Committee determines that the changes do require Faculty Senate approval, the matter shall be presented to the Faculty Senate for action.
(The cover of Policy #02-1 "University of Rhode Island World Wide Web Policy" to be included in Appendix G of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL is attached pp. 11-12).
- That the Faculty Senate approve the revised Policy on the Protection of Human Subjects and delegate the authority to make changes that are discretionary in nature to the Institutional Review Board (IRB). (Policy #84-2 "Protection of Human Subjects" attached pp. 13-14)
4. Report of the President - President Carothers
A. Status of Actions Forwarded to the President:
5. Reports of Standing and Special Committees
A. The Four Hundred Eighth Report of the Curricular Affairs Committee (attached pp. 15-18) -- Senator Kaufman.
B. Curricular Report No. 2002-2003-4 from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate (attached p. 19) -- Vice Provost Trubatch.
C. Interim Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Admissions Policy (oral) -- Professor Kahn
6. Unfinished Business
7. New Business
A. Discussion of the role and cost of athletics at the University.
B. Discussion of the role and financing of the University Library.
C. Discussion of the concept of shared governance at the University and what might be done to enable it to work more effectively.
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)