Regular Meeting of the Faculty Senate on Thursday, April 18, 2002 in room 113 White Hall.
1. Call to order at 3:00 p.m.
Please note that prior to the call to order there will be a brief meeting of the General Faculty for the purpose of approving certification of candidates for degrees.
2. Disposition of Minutes of Faculty Senate Meeting #6, March 28, 2002 (attached).
Reports of Officers and Executive Committee
B. Activities of the Executive Committee (Minutes of Executive Committee Meetings #20 and #21 attached pp. 3-7) -- Vice Chairperson Goldsmith.
C. Recommendations of the Executive Committee:
- That the Faculty Senate adopt the Calendar for Senate Meetings for 2002-03 (attached p. 8).
- That the Faculty Senate approve membership of the Nominating Committee for Officers of the 2002-03 Faculty Senate:
Peter Blanpied, College of Human Science and Services
Stephan Grilli, College of Engineering
Yan Ma, College of Arts and Sciences
- That the Faculty Senate approve the URI World Wide Web Policy as it appears at http://www.uri.edu/home/help/www/web_policy.html with the understanding that the following amendment procedure will apply:
Modifications to this web policy shall be submitted to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee. If the Faculty Senate Executive Committee determines that the matter does not fall under Faculty Senate jurisdiction the Vice Provost for Information Services shall be informed of this determination, and the changes shall become effective upon approval by the President. If the Faculty Senate Executive Committee determines that the changes do require Faculty Senate approval, the matter shall be presented to the Faculty Senate for action.
(The cover of Policy #02-1 "University of Rhode Island World Wide Web Policy" to be included in Appendix G of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL is attached pp. 9-10). Vice Provost Gandel will answer questions about the URI Web Policy.
4. Report of the President - President Carothers
A. Status of Actions Forwarded to the President.
5. Reports of Standing and Special Committees
A. The Four Hundred Fourth Report of the Curricular Affairs Committee (attached pp. 11-17) -- Senator Hickox.
B. Curricular Report No. 2001-2002-7 from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate (attached pp. 18-19) -- Vice Provost Trubatch.
C. Reports of Ad Hoc Senate Committees on Athletics and Academics:
- Committee on Priority Registration for Athletes (to be distributed) -- Senator Nippo.
- Committee on Sections 8.51.30-31 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL (oral) -- Senator Ramstad.
D. Annual Report of the Council for Research for 2001-02 (attached pp. 20-21) -- Professor Euler.
6. Unfinished Business
A. When the February 28, 2002 meeting of the Faculty Senate adjourned, PART II of the University College and General Education Committee Report #2001-02-1 was under consideration.
A motion to refer Part II back to the UCGE Committee to reconsider the portion relating to the FL/CC core area in light of the discussion was on the floor. (The report appears on pages 44-47 of the Agenda for meeting #5, February 28, 2002.)
B. On March 28, 2002 action on the following By-Laws change that appeared in the Report of the Constitution, By-Laws and University Manual Committee #01-02--2 was postponed until April 18 because amendments to the By-Laws of the Faculty Senate may not be voted upon at the meeting they are first moved:
Amend section 2.7 of the By-Laws as follows (changes are in boldface)
- 2.7 A senator whose three-year term expires may not be re-elected until the lapse of one year, except that a senator who has not served for two or more consecutive semesters of a three-year term on account of an officially sanctioned leave (sabbatical, medical, and the like) shall be eligible for re-election without a one-year hiatus.
7. New Business
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)