Regular Meeting of the Faculty Senate on Thursday May 8, 2003 in the Cherry Auditorium, Chester Kirk Building
1. Call to order at 3:00pm
2. Disposition of Minutes of Faculty Senate Meeting #8, April 10, 2003 (attached).
3. Reports of Officers and Executive Committee
A. Announcements, including introduction of new Senators (apportionment attached p. 4).
B. Activities of the Executive Committee (Minutes of Executive Committee Meetings #22, #23 and #24, attached pp. 5-12) -- Vice Chairperson Hollinshead.
C. Report of the Nominating Committee (attached p. 13) -- Professor Mundorf.
D. Recommendation of the Executive Committee --Vice Chairperson Hollinshead:
- That the Faculty Senate of the University of Rhode Island join the URI Student Senate in supporting the passage of H.R. 685 (attached pp. 14-17).
4. Report of the President - President Carothers
A. Status of Actions Forwarded to the President
#02-03--22 - The Four Hundred and Thirteenth Report of the Curricular Affairs Committee. Approved by President Carothers on April 21, 2003.
#02-03--23 - Replacement of the Joint Educational Policy Committee (JEPC) with the Joint Strategic Planning Committee (JSPC). Approved by President Carothers on April 22, 2003.
5. Reports of Standing and Special Committees
A. The Four Hundred Fourteenth Report of the Curricular Affairs Committee: Proposal for continuing status for the Feinstein Center for a Hunger Free America (attached pp. 18-21) -- Professor Kaufman.
B. The Four Hundred Fifteenth Report of the Curricular Affairs Committee (attached pp. 22-27) -- Professor Kaufman.
C. Curricular Report No. 2002-2003-7 from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate (attached p. 28) -- Vice Provost Trubatch.
D. Curricular Report No. 2002-2003-8a from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate: Proposal for an Au. D. degree (attached pp. 29-35) -- Vice Provost Trubatch.
E. Curricular Report No. 2002-2003-8 from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate (attached pp. 36-38) -- Vice Provost Trubatch.
F. Curricular Report No. 2002-2003-9 from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate (attached pp. 39-43) -- Vice Provost Trubatch.
G. University College and General Education Committee Report #2002-03-3 (attached pp. 44-47) -- Professor Jackson.
H. Academic Standards and Calendar Committee Report #2002-03-3 (attached pp. 48-51) -- Professor Finizio.
I. Final Report of The Ad Hoc Committee on Admissions Policy (attached pp. 52-54) -- Professor Kahn.
6. Unfinished Business
On April 10, 2003 action on the following By-Laws change that appeared in the Report of the Constitution, By-Laws and Manual Committee #02-03-1 was postponed until May 8 because amendments to the By-Laws of the Faculty Senate may not be voted upon at the meeting they are first moved:
*Eliminate the following sections of the By-Laws of the Faculty Senate:
- 4.35 The Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee. This committee shall periodically review policies related to student discipline, the procedures and operation of the judicial system and the composition of judicial boards. The committee will consider proposals for changes in the judicial system recommended by the Office of Student Life or other members of the University Community and shall recommend modifications as they deem appropriate to the Faculty Senate. The committee is precluded from involvement in any aspect of individual judicial cases or in the daily operation of the Office of Student Life.
- 4.36 This committee shall also review recommendations for changes in the student handbook regarding discipline brought to them by the Office of Student Life or the Social Regulations Committee. If, in the committee's judgment, the proposed change is substantive or requires a change in the UNIVERSITY MANUAL, they shall forward their recommendations to the Faculty Senate for action. If, on the other hand, the proposed change is deemed to be minor or editorial in nature, the committee may approve or disapprove the change and inform the Office of Student Life of their decision.
- 4.37 The Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee will convene when the Faculty Senate receives a request to review policies related to student discipline and the judicial system. The Committee will be composed of four faculty, one of whom will serve as Chair, two undergraduates, one graduate student and the Director of Student Life (ex officio).
7. New Business
*Requires approval by a 2/3 majority of Senators voting.
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)