Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minute

Meeting #1

June 6, 2005

1. The meeting was called to order at 9:04 a.m. on Monday, June 6, 2005 in the President's conference room on the first floor of Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present except Senator Kowalski.

2. Minutes of 2004-05 Executive Committee Meetings were considered:

a. The Minutes of Meeting #33, May 11, 2005 were approved as revised.

b. The Executive Committee voted to confirm approval of Minutes, which had been considered by members of the 04-05 FSEC but not all approved officially at a meeting: Meetings #29, April 13, 2005; #30, April 20, 2005; #31, April 27, 2005; and #32, May 4, 2005.

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. Copies of the Report of Ad Hoc Centers Review Coordinating Committee on the Center for Non Violence and Peace Studies were distributed. In the report the ad hoc committee recommended that the Provost extend the Center's temporary status for another two years with specific recommendations. It was agreed that the report did not require Senate action because all of the recommendations were at the committee level.

b. Chairperson Rice reviewed with the new Executive Committee a memorandum he had sent to the Provost at the request of the 04-05 Executive Committee. In his memorandum, Chairperson Rice followed up on previous discussions with the Provost and the President and proposed the formation of a committee charged to consider the establishment of a system of University-Wide Land-Sea-Urban Grant Administration to better foster cross-college and interdisciplinary research and outreach.

c. The Executive Committee read President Carothers' response to Resolution #04-05--5, "Statement regarding university policies on use of non-varsity athletics fields," in which he directed Vice Presidents Dougan and Weygand to develop official policies with regard to use of recreational facilities on campus. See http://www.uri.edu/facsen/nonvarsity1.html and http://www.uri.edu/facsen/nonvarsity.pdf

d. The Executive Committee discussed a memorandum from Provost Swan asking a small group of faculty and administrators to review Financial Aid policies and practices to determine whether the distribution of financial aid was most effective in bringing new students to the University and retaining them.

Senator Barbour noted that one example cited by the Provost concerned Centennial Scholarships for Pharm.D. students. She urged that the University collect data on the effect centennial scholarships have on bringing out of state students to the University for the Pharm.D.

It was noted that the ad hoc group, which is chaired by Senator Glen Ramsay, will probably have some change in membership in light of the appointment of a new Dean of Admissions and a new Vice Provost for Academic Affairs.

e. The Executive Committee discussed a memorandum from Vice Provost Trubatch to Chairperson Rice requesting that Professor Marta Gomez-Chiarri be appointed to the vacant position on the Intellectual Property Committee. Following discussion, it was agreed to appoint Professor Gomez-Chiarri the Faculty Senate's 2008 position on the IPC.

4. Ms. Grubman brought to the committee's attention section 4.3 of the By-Laws of the Faculty Senate, which described the Executive Committee's authority during the summer:

4.3 The Executive Committee shall have the power to act for the Senate during the interim between the last Senate meeting in the spring and the first meeting in the fall on such matters as urgently require action at the time. Before acting, the Chairperson shall invite members of the Senate to a hearing concerning the action and its urgency. The provisions for circulating the agenda and minutes for special meetings of the Senate shall apply. The action of the Executive Committee will become effective ten days following the distribution of the minutes unless a necessary Presidential approval is withheld or unless a petition for challenges the action delay signed by five percent of the General Faculty. In these cases, the action must await consideration by the Senate.

Ms. Grubman then reviewed with the Executive Committee their specific responsibilities during the summer:

a. Appointing members to various Senate and University committees, which would begin in earnest on June 17;

b. Reviewing and approving the CBUM Report on changes to the UNIVERSITY MANUAL based upon Faculty Senate legislation during the 2004-05 academic year, which is scheduled for July 14;

c. Developing an agenda for the 2005-06 Faculty Senate, which is expected to be ongoing through the summer and early fall;

d. Planning the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #1, September 22, 2005. The Executive Committee agreed to schedule a meeting for Wednesday, September 14, 2005 at 2:00 p.m. to finalize the Agenda.

5. The Executive Committee agreed to hold their summer meetings at 9:00 a.m. on June 17, July 14 and August 11.

Schedules for fall 2005 were distributed and Ms. Grubman asked that they be returned as soon as possible. It was agreed to postpone establishing a regular meeting time until everyone has an opportunity to complete his/her schedule.

6. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of concern remaining from the 2004-2005 academic year (in alphabetical order):

a. Administrative Bottlenecks - Administrative "Ombuds": It was agreed to continue to pursue with the administration improvements in this area. Ms. Grubman was asked to contact Ms. Morrissey to find out the status of the proposal that had been shared with the JSPC as well as to request an update at a JSPC meeting.

b. Budget Priorities: Chairperson Rice reviewed for the new members of the Executive Committee the list of priorities that the 04-05 FSEC had presented to the President, the Provost, and the JSPC.

c. Faculty Governance: Chairperson Rice reported on the Executive Committee's request that the CBUM Committee consider proposing language for Chapter 4 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL to clarify issues of faculty governance within Colleges as identified by the previous Executive Committee. A copy of former Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels April 12 memorandum to the CBUM Committee was distributed and discussed. Suggestions were made to further clarify the language about eligibility of non-tenure track faculty participating in college governance.

d. Health Services: It was agreed that the meeting with Provost Swan, Mr. Henderson, and the Senate Chair about the need for a change in Health Service's Policy with regard to written excuses for ill students should be rescheduled as soon as possible.

e. JSPC: Continuing members of the Executive Committee provided their perspectives on the work of the JSPC during the previous academic year. It was noted that budget issues remained prominent in JSPC discussions but that they were subject to change due to external forces and therefore difficult to pin down.

Chairperson Rice reported that also remaining on the agenda for 05-06 was the mission statement, development of another three-year strategic plan, and the possible addition of subcommittees with specific charges.

Ms. Grubman said that an all day retreat for the members of the JSPC was tentatively scheduled for August 15. In response to a question about the release time stipends that the previous two Executive Committee members had received for their added responsibilities, Ms. Grubman said that she had contacted the Provost earlier in the spring and would follow-up before their next meeting.

Senator Barbour, Chairperson Rice and Vice Chairperson Martin, members of the Mission Statement Subcommittee, provided an overview of the subcommittee's activities during May and June.

f. Providence Campus Committee: The draft proposal for the Providence Campus Advisory Committee was distributed. It was agreed that the committee should be appointed as soon as possible and Ms. Grubman said that she would contact the Provost's Office about moving the process forward. Ms. Grubman also agreed to look into the possibility that freshmen students are being admitted to the Providence campus for fall 2005 rather than waiting for fall 2006.

g. Land, Sea, Urban Grant Initiative: Much of the matter was discussed in item 3b, the May 20, 2005 FSEC memorandum to the Provost. It was noted that preliminary discussions with the President and Provost concerning this matter are in FSEC Minutes from the spring.

h. Program Assessment Model Committee: Chairperson Rice reviewed for the Executive Committee the activities of the subcommittee at the end of the spring semester. He said that he assumed that the departments involved in the pilot testing had responded to the web-based questionnaires. Ms. Grubman said that she would contact Ms. Morrissey to find out the status of the beta test.

i. Student Learning Outcomes Assessment: Ms. Grubman distributed a sample of the questionnaire that the ad hoc committee on assessment of general education had used with some general education classes instead of the SETs in the spring. She reported that Professor Peters had explained that the questionnaires had been customized for each of the general education courses for the core area and the specific skills approved for that course.

j Student Rights and Responsibilities Report: Ms. Grubman reminded the Executive Committee that the remaining portions of the SR&R Committee's report had been referred back to committee at the May 12 Faculty Senate Meeting. Ms. Grubman said that Dean Cohen had indicated that she would like to meet with the Executive Committee later in the summer to discuss the report and its consideration by the Senate.

k. Survey of Concerns: The Executive Committee reviewed Faculty Senate Resolution #04-05--2 "Resolution on Future Executive Committee Surveys" and began a preliminary discussion of how to proceed. (See http://www.uri.edu/facsen/R04-05-2.html) There was some sentiment in favor of using open-ended surveys rather than developing specific questions. It was suggested that experts should be asked to help with the distribution of the surveys and the collection of the results

The meeting was adjourned at 11:10 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman

NEWS FROM FACULTY SENATE

EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14

 

Michael W. Honhart, Professor of History 2014 Recipient of the Sheila Black Grubman Faculty Outstanding Service Award

URI ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW

OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)

University Libraries LibGuides

QUICK LINKS