Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minute

Meeting #3

July 14, 2005

1. The meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 14, 2005 in Library Conference Room Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present.

2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #2, June 17, 2005 were approved.

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. Ms. Grubman reported that mold problems in the basement and on the first floor of Green hall made it necessary for the Provost's Office to move out of Green Hall and Enrollment Services staff to move to the second and third floors of Green Hall. She said that the third floor conference room was now an office, which was why the Executive Committee meetings for July and August were scheduled for Library Conference Room A. It was noted that the President's wing on the first floor was not as badly affected and had the President and his staff had already moved back to its suite on the first floor.

b. The Executive committee reviewed a June 23, 2005 e-mail message that they had received from President Carothers in which he announced that URI's had received additional purchasing authority from the department of administration. This increased the:

  1. $5,000 per work order limitation on MPAs related to construction to $10,000;
  2. $2,500 on state appropriated funds to $5,000;
  3. $5,000 limitation on Notice of Price Agreement awards to $20,000.

c. Chairperson Rice reported on the June 24 Meeting of the Board of Governors Academic and Student Affairs Committee. He said that representatives from each of the institutions had presented reports on retention data and student satisfaction survey data and noted that Dean Richmond and Mr. Boden had reported for U.R.I. He said that the committee had also approved the proposal for the Doctor of Physical Therapy, which will now be forwarded to the full Board.

d. The Executive Committee discussed a June 27, 2005 e-mail message from President Carothers on FY'06 resources. In his message President Carothers noted that URI is highly dependant on undergraduate enrollment for the resources. This includes support for graduate study and research in light of declining federal and state support. He emphasized that adequate financial aid and a high quality undergraduate experience should be URI's highest priorities and noted high prices and low student aid made URI's position more vulnerable in the current market. He indicated that the JSPC must be involved in further analysis of resources and budgeting priorities.

e. The Executive Committee reviewed President Carothers' Management Letter for 2005 and asked Chairperson Rice to talk to Ms. Morrissey about some of the items with which they were unfamiliar, such as the announcement of a Search for a Director of Institutional Research and the sixteen academic programs that the President had indicated were under review. Concern was expressed that the unidentified programs mentioned in the Management Letter may have been selected using PCA data from spring 2002.

f. The Executive Committee discussed e-mail correspondence between Director of Athletics, Tom McElroy, and Chairperson Rice about the problems encountered by the athletics department when a calendar is changed at the last minute as had occurred this spring.

The Executive Committee agreed that the situation they had found themselves in with regard to changing the spring 2006 calendar should not happen again. Ms. Grubman was asked to draft a new section of the University Manual setting a time limit of eighteen months for changing the calendar for consideration at their next meeting.

g. Ms. Grubman reminded the Executive Committee of Vice Provost Swift's request for volunteers to read the Constitution and Bill of Rights as part of a university-wide program on September 17. Ms. Grubman and Senator Kowalski indicated that they had agreed to participate.

4. The Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for the Special Summer Faculty Senate Meeting, which was to be held that afternoon at 1:00 p.m. It was noted that the meeting was informational and a quorum was not required. Chairperson Rice and Ms. Grubman indicated that neither of them had received any objections to either the calendar change or the Executive Committee's decision to invoke section 4.3 of the By-Laws.

5. The Report of the Constitution, By-Laws and University Manual Committee on Changes to the UNIVERSITY MANUAL for Fall 2005 was approved. The report is available for review on the web at http://www.uri.edu/facsen/CBUM_UM_Fall2005.html

6. The Executive Committee was brought up to date on the status of committee appointments for 2005-06 and discussion continued on names of faculty members to fill vacant positions.

The Executive Committee reviewed the membership of the proposed ad hoc committee on a University-wide Land Grant, Sea Grant and Urban Grant initiative. It was agreed to include the Dean of the College of Engineering or designee as an administrative member of the committee. The Executive Committee concurred with the Provost's suggestion that Interim Vice Provost Pasquerella should chair the committee.

Following discussion of how to proceed with the appointment of eight faculty members to the ad hoc committee it was agreed that Chairperson Rice would write to all members of the University faculty inviting them to volunteer to serve on the committee.

The Executive Committee also agreed to the following with regard to standing committees:

a. Recommend that the Advisory Committee on Resource Allocation (ACRA) be officially disbanded because the Joint Strategic Planning Committee (JSPC) had assumed ACRA's functions.

b. Consider whether the Program Assessment Model Task Force (currently comprised of Senators Boudreaux-Bartels, Martin and Rice, Assistant Provost Katz and Ms. Morrissey) become a standing committee to replace the Program Quality Review Oversight Group (Chairs of the Curricular Affairs Committee and the Graduate Council and the Vice Chairperson of the Faculty Senate)

c. Recommend that the Faculty Senate establish a committee to review the Program Quality Review Process including elimination of PRC Oversight Committee. 8.86.10-50

d. Consider whether the Student Learning Improvement Assessment Advisory Committee (SLIAAC) should become a standing Faculty Senate Committee similar to the CAC and UCGE Committees.

6. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of continuing concern:

a. Administrative Bottlenecks: The Executive Committee decided to continue to pursue efforts to improve administrative functions, including clarifying processes, written directions, flowcharts and revising forms. They agreed to continue to urge that administrative offices provide information as to why something is held up as well as track the status of forms. The Executive Committee considered the possibility of recommending an assessment process for administrative offices, including strategic planning to improve services and save time and money for the university.

Chairperson Rice said that he would follow-up with Ms. Morrissey to find out the status of the administrative "Ombud" proposal. It was also agreed to raise these issues with Vice President Weygand in the fall.

b. Program Assessment Model: Chairperson Rice and Vice Chairperson Martin reported that a meeting of the working group had been scheduled while they were away and that neither had heard anything about what may have transpired. Chairperson Rice said that he would discuss the status of the beta test with Ms. Morrissey and would report back to the Executive Committee.

c. JSPC: The Executive Committee agreed that the number of meetings of the JSPC had dwindled over the three years of its operation, noting that only one JSPC meeting was scheduled for this summer (August 12, 2005) in contrast to six during the summer of 2003 and two during the summer of 2004.

Chairperson Rice said that he would discuss the Agenda for the August, and subsequent meetings of the JSPC with Ms. Morrissey.

7. The Executive Committee discussed goals for the 2005-06 academic year. They agreed to report to the Faculty Senate at its first meeting on progress in achieving the goals set the previous year as well as outlining plans for the future. Among the continuing goals were: improving the process for surveying concerns, continuing efforts toward improving shared governance and working toward improving administrative services as they affect faculty responsibilities.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:40 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman

NEWS FROM FACULTY SENATE

EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14

 

Michael W. Honhart, Professor of History 2014 Recipient of the Sheila Black Grubman Faculty Outstanding Service Award

URI ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW

OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)

University Libraries LibGuides

QUICK LINKS