Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #3

September 12, 2006

1. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present except Senator Miller.

2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #2, July 25, 2006 were approved as amended.

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. The Executive Committee discussed a memorandum dated August 21, 2006 from President Carothers to Chairperson Rice proposing the addition of a dean to the membership of the JSPC. Following discussion, it was agreed to include the President's memorandum in the printed Agenda as a recommendation of the President under his report.

b. Ms. Grubman distributed copies of FYI A Little Directory 2006.

c. The Executive Committee discussed the proposal to adopt a "Test Optional" Policy for Admission to URI, which had been forwarded to them by Vice Provost Pasquerella. It was noted that it would be a significant change if the University altered its admissions requirements in this way. The idea would require a great deal of thoughtful consideration. Ms. Grubman reported that she had contacted Vice Provost Pasquerella and suggested that Professor Karen Ramsay, and perhaps the full Admissions Advisory Committee, should participate in the deliberations.

d. The Executive Committee agreed to meet with Professor Feldman on October 10 to discuss concerns relating to the changes in Community Planning in order to determine whether the Faculty Senate has any role to play with regard to the issues he raised.

e. Ms. Grubman reported that Senator Miller had attended the August 4, 2006 meeting of the Board of Governors Academic and Student Affairs Committee. She distributed copies of the Agenda and Senator Miller's notes for information.

f. Ms. Grubman distributed copies of the Agenda for the August 21, 2006 meeting of the Board of Governors. She said that she would share the Minutes from the meeting with the Executive Committee when they were available on the web.

g. Ms. Grubman reported that the Provost's Office has hired a consultant, Dr. Don Hossler, to conduct an audit of Admissions and Enrollment Services. She said that he would meet with the FSEC on October 3 at 11:00 a.m.

h. Chairperson Rice announced that he had a list of sponsors for receptions following Faculty Senate meetings and invited the FSEC to join him in sponsoring the reception after the March 29 Faculty Senate meeting. The sponsors for the receptions are:

September 28, 2006 - Dean Letendre
October 26, 2006 - Dean McKinney
November 16, 2006 - Dean Brownell
December 14, 2006 - Dean Nassersharif
January 25, 2007 - Dean Farmer
February 22, 2007 - Dean Joseph and Dean Richmond
March 29, 2007 - Chairperson Rice and the FSEC
April 19, 2007 - Dean Maslyn
May 10, 2006 - President Carothers

4. The Executive Committee was brought up-to-date on the following continuing issues:

a. Searches:

1) Dean of University Libraries: Dr. David Maslyn is serving as Interim Dean.

2) Dean of the College of Business Administration: Dr. Mark Higgins has been appointed Dean.

3) Vice Provost for Research, Graduate Education and Outreach and Dean of the Graduate School:

a) Dr. James Tracy (September 7, 2006)
b) Dr. Don Roth (September 14, 2006)
c) Dr. Peter Alfonso (September 19, 2006)

b. Review of SETs: The Executive Committee discussed Vice Provost Pasquerella's explanation that the SETs must be updated as the legacy system is phased out entirely. The FSEC would suggest that the Teaching Effectiveness Committee might be consulted in the review process.

c. Commission on Futuring: Chairperson Rice reported that President Carothers was giving serious consideration as to the appropriate chair for the commission.

d. Administrator Evaluation: Ms. Grubman reported that the ad hoc committee working on the coordination of Administrator Evaluation with the Provost's reviews of administrators had scheduled their first meeting for September 21.

e. JSPC: Ms. Grubman reminded the FSEC that the first meeting of the JSPC for the current academic year was scheduled for September 14, 2006 at 1:00 p.m. It was noted that the Budget request for FY'08 was on the Agenda, as was a report by Vice Provost Weygand on summer construction projects.

f. NEASC Accreditation: Senator Kowalski reported on the work of the Steering Committee and the subcommittees during the summer. He distributed the most up-to-date timeline for the self-study and asked Ms. Grubman to attach it to the minutes of the meeting. (See attached)

5. The Executive Committee discussed the results of the faculty survey and noted that it appeared that the only item where there was consensus was on the importance of faculty governance. The majority of other items appeared to fall into bimodal distribution. It was agreed to ask Professor Costello to report on the survey at the first Faculty Senate meeting.

6. The Executive Committee reviewed the most recent draft of Chairperson Rice's welcome memo to the faculty and agreed that it should be distributed to the community as soon as possible.

7. The Executive Committee discussed the preliminary draft of the Agenda for the Faculty Senate Meeting #1, September 28, 2006.

8. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their September 19 meeting with Provost Swan:

a. Audit of Admissions and Enrollment Services;

b. Resolution of issues related to Community Planning;

c. Proposal to Adopt a "Test Optional" Policy for Admission to URI.

9. The Executive Committee considered matters remaining from the 2005-06 academic year:

a. Chairperson Rice reported that Provost Swan had asked that deans be consulted as part of the UCGE Committee's review of URI 101.

b. Senator Kowalski noted that issues related to travel remained at the top of the list of administrative bottlenecks. He said that he would think about other issues to be addressed as well.

c. Chairperson Rice said that he had brought up the issue of involvement in faculty governance in his presentation to new faculty. He said that he intended to stress the importance of faculty involvement in governance at the first Faculty Senate Meeting as well. The Executive Committee agreed to review their list of committee appointments to determine whether they had made any progress toward involving junior faculty in university governance.

d. Senator Luebke reported that the early course registration trial period had begun for spring 2007 and it was her perception that the only petitions to Vice Provost Pasquerella were from athletics. She reminded the Executive Committee that the final decision whether to grant petitions for early registration rested with Vice Provost Pasquerella and it remained open as to whether the early registration experiment would suggest the establishment of a more permanent policy.

10. Under new business, Ms. Grubman asked that the Executive Committee take on the issue of what does and does not constitute a university policy. She explained that it was becoming less and less clear which policies should be included in Appendix G of the University Manual and which procedures, etc. could be excluded.

The meeting was adjourned at 12:15 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman