1. The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 in the President's Conference Room, Green Hall, Chairperson Swallow presiding. All members were present except Senator Barbour
2. The Executive Committee reviewed the Minutes from the following FSEC Meetings and approved them pending corrections where necessary:
a. 2009-10 #35, April 19, 2010; #36, April26, 2010; and #37, May 3, 2010;
b. 2010-11 #1, May 18, 2010 and #2, June 16, 2010.
Ms. Grubman said that she would have the draft Minutes from 2009-10 FSEC Meeting #38 for them to review before the next meeting.
a. It was noted that the next meeting of the Board of Governors was scheduled for Monday, June 28, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. at the URI Ryan Center. Vice Chairperson Eaton agreed to attend the meeting.
b. Senator Honhart said that a meeting of the Board of Governors Academic and Student Affairs Committee was scheduled for June 28 at 2:30. Senator Honhart said that he would attend the ASAC meeting on behalf of the Executive Committee.
c. Ms Grubman reported that President Dooley had approved all of the legislation from the May 13 Faculty Senate Meeting. She said that she hadn't heard from the President's office about Bill #10-11--1, which had been approved at the June 16 meeting.
4. The Executive Committee discussed the proposed Alcohol Policy #10-1, which appeared on the web at http://www.uri.edu/facsen/Draft_Policy_10-1.htm, and agreed that it doesn't require action by the Faculty Senate.
5. The Executive Committee reviewed the following summer responsibilities as outlined by Ms Grubman:
a. Summer meetings: After discussion, the Executive Committee agreed to meet as follows during July and August:
- Monday, July 12 from 1-4 p.m.
- Thursday, July 22 from 3-5 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 31 from 2-4 p.m.
It was agreed that the FSEC could continue to discuss by e-mail issues as they arise between the scheduled meetings.
b. Committees: Ms. Grubman reported that one of the primary activities for the FSEC during the summer was appointing the various committees for which the Senate had either full or partial responsibility.
She said that she hoped to have lists of committee vacancies as well faculty volunteers for consideration on July 12.
c. Approval of CBUM Report on changes to the UNIVERSITY MANUAL: Ms. Grubman explained that she and Professor Wenisch compile a report on all changes to the UNIVERSITY MANUAL that have been approved during the previous year and ask for the FSEC's approval before amending the MANUAL for the fall. She said she didn't expect to have the report ready before the July 22 meeting.
d. Developing an Agenda for the 2010-11 Faculty Senate and its Executive Committee: The Executive Committee began a discussion of what they would like to accomplish during the 2010 academic year. They discussed ways that they might present more information about upcoming issues to the Senate. Members of the FSEC said they had noticed a general feeling from the faculty that they want to know what is being done about important matters, e.g. 4-credits. They agreed that it would be helpful to give the Senate more information about work in progress, which perhaps elaborates on the information given in the published minutes of their meetings.
6. The Executive Committee agreed that foremost among the matters remaining from the 2009-10 academic year would be closure on the 4-credits issue and a decision about general education, either to make a significant change immediately or approve a modification that would address some of the faculty's immediate concerns while developing a different program, which the faculty would agree-upon.
7. Ms. Grubman distributed blank schedule forms for the fall semester. She asked that members of the Executive Committee complete them in order to find a convenient time for regular meetings during the fall semester. She said that once the FSEC establishes a regular meeting time, she or Ms. Orabone could find a location and begin to schedule monthly meetings with the President and the Provost and at least one meeting with Vice President Alfonso.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:10 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)