Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minute

Meeting #5

September 13, 2005

1. The meeting was called to order at 1:03 p.m. on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present.

2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #4, August 11, 2005 were approved.

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. Chairperson Rice reported on the August 15 meeting of the Board of Governors, which had been held at the Narragansett Bay Campus. He said that the meeting was brief and was followed by an Executive Session. Action taken at that meeting included the approval of the Doctor of Physical Therapy degree at URI and the higher education capital improvement plan for 2007-2011.

b. The Executive Committee discussed a memorandum from Dean of Students Cohen requesting that the report of the Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee be included on the Agenda for the September 22 Faculty Senate Meeting. It was agreed to put the report on the Agenda with a modification to the background information. Ms. Grubman agreed to inform Dean Cohen about the modification.

The Executive Committee agreed to ask the Constitution, By-Laws and University Manual Committee for an interpretation of the responsibilities delegated to the Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee with regard to section 5.73.10 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL.

c. The Executive Committee reviewed Chairperson Rice's welcome letter to URI faculty and approved it subject to editorial changes.

d. Copies of an August 24, 2005 memorandum from Provost Swan to the Deans asking them to review Appendix C of the University Manual were distributed. It was noted that the memorandum had been the Provost's response to the Executive Committee's request that she write to the deans at the beginning of the academic year reminding them of the university's regulations with regard to faculty prerogatives. (See minutes of FSEC Meeting #31, April 27, 2005.)

e. Ms. Grubman announced that the following dates had been scheduled for fall semester meetings with the Provost and the President:

October 4 - President Carothers
October 18 - Provost Swan
November 1 - President Carothers
November 29 - President Carothers
December 13 - Provost Swan

f. The Executive Committee reviewed correspondence from Senator Rollo-Koster on role of the University Ombud and asked Senator Kowalski to talk to Senator Rollo-Koster about her concerns.

g. Ms. Grubman provided copies of Student Learning Assessment Workshops materials to members of the Executive Committee who hadn't received them from Commissioner Carriuolo. The two workshops are scheduled as follows:

1) "Strengthening Higher Education Pathways: Assessment That Matters" on Friday, October 14, 2005 at the University of New Hampshire;

2) "Intention to Action: What We are Learning About Student Learning" on Friday, October 28, 2005 at Connecticut College.

h. The Council of Deans Agenda for September 14, 2005 and the Agenda for the September 19 meeting of the Board of Governors were circulated for information.

i. The Executive Committee reviewed Academic Library Statistics from the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL that had been forwarded to them by Senator Ramsay at the request of Professor O'Malley. The Executive Committee agreed that the data were very discouraging and asked Ms. Grubman to forward them to the Professor Onorato, Chair of the Library Committee for the committee's consideration.

j. The Executive Committee discussed a September 7, 2005 memorandum from Provost Swan and Dean Brownell to faculty members from relevant departments requesting they draft a proposal for a School of Communication.

k. Ms. Grubman announced that candidates for Vice Provost for Academic Affairs have been scheduled to meet with the FSEC and AAUP EC from 11-12 noon on the following Wednesdays in the third floor conference room in Green Hall:

Dr. Raymond Gorman - September 28
Dr. Philip Cohen - October 12
Dr. Pedro Martinez - October 26

4. A draft Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #1, September 22, 2005 was reviewed and approved for distribution. Ms. Grubman reported that she and Chairperson Rice had agreed that rather than ask someone to sponsor a reception after the first Senate meeting, Chairperson Rice would encourage people to attend the reception that afternoon at the University Club that was sponsored by the President's Commission on the Status of Women and the Association for Professional and Academic Women

Ms. Grubman distributed a list of reception sponsors for the 2005-06 academic year. Chairperson Rice said that he had initially contacted ex officio members of the Senate who had not as yet sponsored a reception or who hadn't sponsored one during the 2004-05 academic year and had received positive responses. In addition, Provost Swan had graciously agreed to sponsor the May reception. The sponsors are:

10/20/05 Vice Provost Pasquerella
11/17/05 Vice Provost McCray
12/8/05 Vice President Weygand
1/26/06 Vice President Dougan
2/23/06 Vice President Beagle
3/23/06 Vice Provost and Dean Wessells
4/20/06 Dean Mazze
5/11/06 Provost Swan

It was noted that Provost Swan had not appointed anyone to the position of Interim Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. Instead, she had named Professor Judith Swift and Associate Dean Susan Roush as her Special Assistants and had delegated to Dr. Roush the responsibility for working with the Senate and its major committees.

The Executive Committee agreed, that although Dr. Roush would not have ex officio status, Chairperson Rice would invite her to attend Faculty Senate meetings and to participate without requesting permission to speak.

5. The Executive Committee agreed that Ms. Grubman should contact Senator Boudreaux-Bartels about planning the Agenda for the Special Faculty Senate meeting on September 29, 2005. Chairperson Rice said that although he and Vice Chairperson Martin had worked with Senator Boudreaux-Bartels on the Academic Investment and Improvement Model (AIIM), she had been the primary force in adapting the Murphy model to URI's specific needs and ensuring that the both cost and quality factors would be included.

6. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of continuing concern:

a. Health Services position on excuse notes for student absences: Chairperson Rice reported that he had attended a meeting on August 19 with Provost Swan, Vice President Dougan and representatives from Health Services. He said that the following policy had been satisfactory to everyone at the meeting: Health Services will not issue notes after the fact or when a student comes for a regular appointment. In situations where a student has been seen by Health Services and is too ill to attend classes, Health Services will contact the student's dean.

b. Follow-up on efforts to remedy administrative bottlenecks: It was noted that although some efforts were being made by Ms. Morrissey, Assistant Provost Katz and Vice President Weygand, many of the suggestions, such as posted flow-charts and providing reasons for various delays were not yet in place. The Executive Committee agreed to continue to work with the administration to clarify procedures and processes that had been identified by the Executive Committee and other members of the faculty. It was suggested that an assessment of administrative functions would be a useful undertaking along with the assessment of student learning and academic programs.

The Executive Committee asked Ms. Grubman to schedule another meeting with Vice President Weygand to continue their discussion of the issue.

c. Academic Investment and Improvement Model (AIIM): Chairperson Rice and Vice Chairperson Martin reported that the beta testing was completed and that they, along with Senator Boudreaux-Bartels, continued to revise the instrument based on feedback from departments that had participated in the project.

d. JSPC: The Executive Committee discussed the proposed budget for FY'07 which had been presented to the JSPC at their September 8, meeting. The Executive Committee agreed that they had been pleased to learn initially that funds had been set aside for the library, interdisciplinary activities, software and classroom supplies, but it was not clear from the information presented how the $150,000 for the Library was to be allocated. Members of the Executive Committee noted that $150,000 had been proposed for a new Office of Assessment that had not been discussed by the JSPC.

Ms. Grubman reported that Ms. Orabone was having a great deal of difficulty scheduling JSPC meetings this semester. She confirmed with the members of the Executive Committee that some Wednesday afternoons from 3:00 to 4:30 would also be possible for meetings

f. University-wide Land Grant, Sea Grant and Urban Grant Initiative Committee: Chairperson Rice reported that he hadn't as yet received a response from the Provost to his request that she and the Senate begin the process of appointing the committee and getting it started.

g. Student Learning Outcomes - General Education: Chairperson Rice reported that Professors Peters and Stevenson had requested a meeting with the Executive Committee to discuss their project and ways to ensure that the Faculty Senate is involved. The Executive Committee asked Ms. Grubman to schedule a meeting as soon as possible.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman