Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minute

Meeting #8

October 12, 2004

1. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels presiding. All members were present.

2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #7, October 5, 2004 were approved.

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels informed the Executive Committee that Mr. Murphy had given the Faculty Senate Office permission to post his PowerPoint presentation to the Faculty Senate. The presentation was now accessible on the web at http://www.uri.edu/facsen/AcAssess_Model_9-23-04.html.

b. Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels said that the Senate Office expected to do the same with the PowerPoint version of the Third Interim Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Admissions to the Providence Campus as soon as it becomes available.

4. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of continuing concern:

a. Space Policy and Space Allocation Guidelines: Senator Kowalski reported that the next SEDA meeting had not been scheduled, but he would raise the Executive Committee's questions when they have a meeting.

b. Questions that the FSEC will be raising with administrators: The Executive Committee reviewed the spreadsheet prepared by Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels. Following discussion, they agreed on the following topics for their October 26 meeting with the Provost:

  • Update on Office of Information Services, including Dean of Libraries position, the Web Advisory Committee, the Information Resources Council (IRC) and, possibly, the Instructional Space Advisory Group (ISAG);
  • The Murphy Factor Analysis Model and its potential use by the Provost's Office;
  • Facilitating interdisciplinary efforts by bridging and crossing college and department lines.

5. President Carothers met with the Executive Committee from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Members of the Executive Committee expressed their condolences to the President on the death of his father-in-law.

The following matters were then discussed:

a. The membership of the Campus Master Plan Review Team: The Executive Committee discussed their concern that the Campus Security and Parking Committee should be reactivated and noted that Vice President Weygand has been reluctant to do this because of possible conflicts between that committee and the Campus Master Plan Review Team.

The Executive Committee suggested to the President that the Campus Master Plan Review Team, whose members are either his designees or appointees, might be more attuned to issues of concern to faculty and students if the membership included representatives from the Faculty Senate, and more broadly, the Student Senate and the staff as had the Campus Security and Parking Committee. President Carothers responded positively to this suggestion.

b. URI land not currently developed or on lease to others: President Carothers asked the Executive Committee to consider the issue of generating income by using some of URI's property for commercial and research use in light of the necessity for the University to look for alternative sources of funding.

After discussion, it was agreed that the University must develop a policy on land-use including parameters for making decisions before considering options for the University's land. The Executive Committee suggested and the President agreed that the first step would be to catalog all of the acreage to determine what land would be open to expansion and what land is not appropriate for development.

c. Mr. Murphy's Factor Analysis Model: The Executive Committee and the President discussed the Murphy Model as it is being adapted to the University. President Carothers said that he hoped to be able to use the information as a means for suggesting change in direction or as an impetus to possible combinations and mergers. He said that he did not foresee the information would be as useful to determine whether departments or programs should be eliminated. He noted that the PCA had been only used once to develop a list of programs for suspension. He said that it had been most useful for getting departments to reconsider and modify the way they expended their resources.

d. Facilitating interdisciplinary efforts by bridging and crossing college lines at URI: Vice Chairperson Rosen reminded the President and Executive Committee that he had promised the Investigatory Ad Hoc Committee on Academic Reorganization that he would continue to pursue their recommendation with regard to facilitating interdisciplinary activities.

The Executive Committee outlined for President Carothers what members believed to be bars or impediments to interdisciplinary activities and encouraged the administration to consider appointing a central officer who would be able todirect deans and department chairs to be more flexible about supporting research, teaching and outreach activities that cross department and college lines.

When President Carothers left the meeting, the Executive Committee resumed their regular order of business at item 4. c.:

c. Mr. Murphy's Academic Assessment model: After discussion of Mr. Murphy's presentation at the October 7 meeting of the JSPC, the Executive Committee agreed to schedule a meeting with Mr. Murphy to discuss the questions that are to be used in the beta testing of his academic assessment model. The Executive Committee considered the possibility of holding a special meeting for this purpose on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 because the day is designated to follow a Thursday schedule.

The Executive Committee also discussed adding a second faculty member to the JSPC ad hoc group working on the academic assessment model. Senator Martin volunteered to serve in this capacity.

d. Broadening the survey of faculty issues: Senator Kowalski reported on the progress of his survey and asked members of the Executive Committee to help him with distribution to academic department chairs. He agreed to draft a note to Senators urging them to encourage their department chairs to distribute the survey.

Senator Kowalski said that he had also asked Vice President Dougan to distribute the survey to Student Affairs staff as well as to students.

6. The Executive Committee reviewed a Preliminary Draft Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #2, October 28, 2004. Ms. Grubman said that she expected reports from the CAC, Graduate Council and University College and General Education Committee. She said that she was hopeful that materials on the State of the Budget Address would be included as well.

7. Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels announced that Deans Joseph and Letendre had agreed to sponsor the reception after the November Faculty Senate meeting. She noted that the Executive Committee had not scheduled any special reports for that meeting and asked the Executive Committee to consider whether that meeting might be an appropriate time for a presentation on student learning outcomes assessment. Among the suggestions for speakers were Commissioner Warner and Dr. Peggy Maki.

It was agreed to postpone the remaining items of business until the next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman

NEWS FROM FACULTY SENATE

EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14

 

Michael W. Honhart, Professor of History 2014 Recipient of the Sheila Black Grubman Faculty Outstanding Service Award

URI ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW

OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)

University Libraries LibGuides

QUICK LINKS