Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting


Meeting #9

October 19, 2004

1. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels presiding. All members were present except Senator Martin.

2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #8, October 12, 2004 were approved as revised.

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels informed the Executive Committee that Mr. Murphy would not be able to meet with them on November 10 at 1:00 p.m. but would be available for a telephone conference. She said that Ms. Morrissey did plan to join them at that meeting.

b. The Executive Committee discussed the following articles from the October 15, 2004 issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education, which had been forwarded by Ms. Morrissey:

i) "NSF Eliminates Requirement That Universities Share Cost of Research It Sponsors": Senator Rosen reported that he had asked the Research Office about this change in policy and had been informed that they were looking into the matter further but suspected that URI doesn't use the match very often.

ii) "Higher Education Isn't Meeting the Public's Needs": Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels asked the Executive Committee to pay special attention to some of the factors identified in the article which have been raised in the materials that accompanied the Agenda for the October 21 JSPC meeting.

c. Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels announced that Senator Martin has been added to the membership of the JSPC ad hoc group working on an Academic Assessment Model

d. The following materials were circulated for information:

i) A copy of an October 12, 2004 memorandum from Professor Zawia, Chair of the Council for Research to Provost Swan urging that additional funding be provided for the Council for Research Grant Programs;

ii) The Agenda for the October 20 meeting of the Council of Deans.

e. Ms. Grubman distributed copies of a proposed English Proficiency policy, which had been forwarded to the faculty Senate Office following approval by the Council of Deans and the Graduate Council. She asked the Executive Committee to consider the appropriate approval route for the policy.

4. The Executive Committee reviewed a draft Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #2, October 28, 2004 and approved it in final form. Senator Kowalski said that he was in the process of turning the photographs that he took of Senators at the last Senate meeting into a Power Point presentation that could be displayed prior to the Senate meeting. It was suggested that he continue to take photographs to supplement the original display at subsequent meetings during the year.

5. The Executive Committee considered the following matters of continuing concern:

a. Space Policy and Space Allocation Guidelines: Ms. Newman, the University's Space Planner met with the Executive Committee from 1:30 to 1:50 p.m. Ms. Newman responded to questions that the Executive Committee had about the proposed policy. After discussion, Ms. Newman said that she would revise portions of the proposed policy based on the Executive Committee's suggestions and would forward the updated policy to them after the changes were accepted by the SEDA Committee.

b. Survey of faculty issues: Senator Kowalski reported on progress in distributing the materials to department chairs and asked for further assistance in distributing the remaining surveys. It was agreed that it would be premature to report the results of the survey until more members of the University community have the opportunity to return them to the Faculty Senate Office.

c. JSPC: Ms. Grubman asked the Executive Committee to review the draft minutes of the October 7 JSPC meeting and get back to her with any additions or corrections before the next JSPC meeting which was scheduled for October 21.

Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels reminded the Executive Committee to review the materials they had received for the October 21 meeting. She also suggested that members of the Executive Committee go to the PSPD website at for more background information regarding assessment and financing.

d. Murphy Model: The Executive Committee discussed the materials that they had received on the questions for rating the various aspects of programs/departments to determine how they would look under the Murphy model. They suggested a number of changes in both the review process and the specific questions to be asked and requested that Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels relay their suggestions to the JSPC ad hoc group working on Academic Assessment.

e. Student Outcomes Assessment: Chairperson Boudreaux-Bartels and Senator Rosen reported briefly on the October 8 SLIAAC meeting and noted that the group had suggested that the Executive Committee invite Dr. Maki to speak at a Senate meeting.

It was agreed to postpone the remaining items of business until the next meeting and to reorder some of them so they could be considered earlier on the Agenda. The meeting was adjourned at 2:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Sheila Black Grubman



Sheila Black Grubman

Faculty Outstanding Award

2015 Notice and Criteria



University Libraries LibGuides