Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #9

October 21, 2008

1. The meeting was called to order at 2: 05 p.m. on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Martin presiding. All members were present.

2. Draft Minutes for Executive Committee Meetings #6 and #8 were distributed. The Executive Committee agreed to review them during the coming week.

3. Announcements/Correspondence

a. Chairperson Martin announced that the Disability Summit was scheduled for Friday, October 24 from 8:30-3:30 in the Galanti Lounge. She said that if anyone on the FSEC was interested in attending they should contact her.

b. It was noted that no one on the FSEC had been able to attend the October 15 Meeting of the Board of Governors Academic and Student Affairs Committee because it had been rescheduled from its original date. Ms. Grubman reported that two items on the Agenda which were of interest to the Senate was the proposal for a Center for Excellence in Undersea Technology and a report on URIÌs retention.

c. Chairperson Martin announced that the October 27 Board of Governors Meeting had been cancelled and that the Board didnÌt plan to meet again until December.

d. Ms. Grubman announced that Vice President Weygand was scheduled to present the ÏState of the BudgetÓ address at the November 20 Faculty Senate meeting.

e. The FSEC discussed correspondence between Professor Paton and Vice President Alfonso about tuition for two students who had received NSF Graduate Research Fellowships. It was agreed that although the specific problem had been resolved, it had brought to light concerns about the effect of separating research from graduate education administratively.

f. The Executive Committee discussed correspondence from Professor Rice on Bill #H5230, which resembled the bill that the Senate had endorsed in 2006. It was agreed to invite Professor Rice to speak to the Senate about the proposed legislation at the November 20 Faculty Senate Committee meeting.

4. The Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #2, which was scheduled for later that week. They discussed plans for an informal consideration of the various alternative models. They agreed that since neither President Carothers no Vice President Weygand would be able to attend the meeting, Chairperson Martin would encourage Senators to save specific questions about the models for the November Senate meeting.

Ms. Grubman was asked to send a reminder about the informal consideration of alternative funding models and to include the list of web addresses for the alternative models in her mailing.

5. The Executive Committee was brought up-to-date on matters of continuing concern:

a. The Presidential Search: Chairperson Martin said that the Search Committee is scheduled to meet on November 3 on the Kingston campus. She said that she had appreciated the willingness of the CommissionerÌs staff to adjust the location of the meeting so she would be able to attend the first meeting.

b. October 16 Faculty Forum on Learning and Discovery for the New Global Century: The Executive Committee discussed the Forum and agreed that the attendance was better than some of them had expected. They also reviewed correspondence about the Forum and agreed that it should be a topic for further discussion with the Provost.

6. The Executive Committee met with Professor Donnelly from 3:15 - 3:45 p.m. Professor Donnelly reported on the part-time faculty unionÌs efforts to negotiate a contract with the administration without disclosing any details about the negotiations.

After discussion, the Executive Committee agreed to bring a resolution to the Senate in support of equity and fairness for the part-time faculty.

7. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their October 28 meeting with Provost DeHayes

a. Graduate Education and Research at URI. Discussion of: What steps can URI Administration and the Faculty Senate take to assure that graduate education is adequately supported, from admissions to delivery, and adequately coordinated with the research enterprise (including the research office)? How does this area relate to quality of the undergraduate experience and programs?

b. Follow-up on faculty concerns about delivery of undergraduate quality programs, following JSPC discussion.

c. Follow-up on our first Faculty Forum. What are the goals for the Forum going forward? Generate discussion to stimulate individual action, or something else?

The meeting was adjourned at 4:15 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman