UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND
Kingston, Rhode Island
FACULTY SENATE
MINUTES

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting #10 – October 31, 2006

1. The meeting was called to order at 10:02 a.m. on Tuesday, October 31, 2006, in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present.

2. The Minutes from Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting #9 October 24, 2006 were approved as corrected.

3. The Executive Committee discussed Faculty Senate Meeting #2, October 26, 2006, which had been held on the previous Thursday.  It was noted that President Carothers’ motion on the membership of the JSPC would continue as an item of unfinished business.  Ms. Grubman reported that the report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Administrator Evaluation would be part of unfinished business as well, but that at Senator Rosen’s request it would be postponed until the December Faculty Senate Meeting.

Of major concern to the FSEC was the response of the Admissions Advisory Committee’s Chair to the shortened deadline for a report on the SATs optional proposal. Professor Ramsay said that she would no longer be able to chair the committee because she believed it would be impossible to conduct the review within such a short time frame. Professor Ramsay reminded the Executive Committee that she was chair of one of the Accreditation Subcommittees, as well as the Admissions Advisory Committee.  It was further noted that Professor Pakula, another member of the Admissions Advisory Committee, had voiced similar concerns about the short deadline.

The Executive Committee discussed the possibility of asking the Senate to amend the date for the report to allow for a full year of study and to postpone the possibility of a change in admissions policy until fall 2009.  It was agreed that Senator Kowalski would explore the appropriate parliamentary procedure for recommending such a change.  The Executive Committee hoped that Professor Ramsay might reconsider her resignation if the Admissions Advisory Committee had more time to conduct a study on the “test optional” proposal.

The Executive Committee discussed Vice President Weygand’s budget presentation at the meeting and agreed that they would like to pursue some aspects of his report in greater depth when they meet with him on November 8.

4. Ms. Grubman noted that the deadline for submitting reports for the November 16, 2006 Faculty Senate Meeting was the following day. Ms. Grubman said that she would forward the draft Agenda cover and reports to the Executive Committee during the upcoming week because the Agenda would have to be approved on Wednesday, November 8, which would be on a Tuesday schedule, and sent to Printing Services that afternoon.

5. Vice Provost Pasquerella met with the Executive Committee from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. The following matters were considered

a. Providence Campus Undergraduate Initiative: Vice Provost Pasquerella reported that Provost Swan was concerned about the disappointingly low admissions for fall 2006 and had asked Vice Provost Pasquerella to discuss the initiative further with Professor Martin.

Members of the Executive Committee raised a number of concerns related to the Providence Campus Initiative.  They questioned whether there was any real indication that there is market for an undergraduate program for traditional students at URI in Providence.  They also noted that changes to the Providence Campus Initiative, such as permitting undecided students to enroll, would require Senate approval because the legislation had been specific about the enrolling in one of the three approved degree programs.  The Executive Committee also suggested that the Senate’s uncertainty about whether there would be adequate support services for Providence undergraduates would have to be addressed, along with whether full-time continuing faculty in Kingston would be permitted to teach in Providence during the day either on overload or as part of their regular teaching load.

The Executive Committee said that they continued to believe that the students for whom the first two-year program was intended would be better served by their initially enrolling at CCRI through the Joint Admissions Agreement and transferring to URI after they complete their first two years.  It was further suggested that a better investment for the University might be improving the advising of students who might take advantage of the JAA.   

b. Proposal to make SATs optional:  The Executive Committee and Vice Provost Pasquerella discussed the concerns raised by Professor Ramsay about the deadline for a report on whether the University should make SATs optional.  They talked about whether a decision was needed for Fall 2008 or whether a recommendation might be considered for Fall 2009.  Vice Provost Pasquerella said that it was her impression that the decision to move the deadline to January was based on the question to Dean Bonn as to how soon she must have a decision for Fall 2008 admissions.  

c. Revising the SETs:  Vice Provost Pasquerella brought the Executive Committee up to date on the technical aspects of moving from the legacy system to PeopleSoft or e-campus including costs of sending forms outside the University for processing.

There was general agreement that the SETs in their current form should be reviewed and possibly modified before they are transferred to a new system.

The Executive Committee said that they understood that how the SETs are used and the choice of technical options was a matter between the AAUP and the Board of Governors, but stated that the Teaching Effectiveness Committee (TEC) of the Senate was the appropriate body to recommend modifications to the instrument itself.

The Executive Committee agreed to draft a charge to the Teaching Effectiveness Committee and to ask Vice Provost Pasquerella and the AAUP to review the draft before a charge is forwarded to the TEC.

When Vice Provost Pasquerella left, the Executive Committee resumed their regular order of business.

6. The Executive Committee considered the following matters of continuing concern:

a. JSPC:  It was noted that three of the items proposed by the Executive Committee had been included on the Agenda for the November 2 meeting:
b. Faculty governance:  The Executive Committee reviewed sections 8.87.10-11 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL on Abolition of Programs.  Following discussion, it was agreed to consider the addition of a new section 8.87.11 regarding suspended programs at their next meeting.  

c. Accreditation Update:  In response to a request from the Executive Committee, Senator Kowalski agreed to ask chairs of the subcommittees to consider reporting on some of their findings as part of the NEASC Accreditation Self-Study Report on the next Faculty Senate Agenda.

d. URI 101:  Chairperson Rice reported that he had spoken to Professor Honhart about the Executive Committee’s memorandum on the review of URI 101.  He said that Professor Honhart had indicated that there were a few changes in the membership of the UCGE Subcommittee on Review of URI 101 and that Professor Honhart expected that they would be able to proceed now that they had specific guidelines for their review.

e. Online Courses:  Vice Chairperson Luebke reported that the CAC met the previous afternoon and had approved all of the online courses that had been submitted for summer 2007.

8. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their meeting with Vice President Weygand on Wednesday, November 8:
    
a. Budget Presentation Debriefing: Implications of Projections;

b. Financial issues related to the Providence Campus;

c. Partnering with Vice Provost Bozylinsky on efforts to re-engineer business practices.

The meeting was adjourned at 12:20 p.m.

                                        Respectfully submitted,

                                        Sheila Black Grubman