Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minute

Meeting #11

October 25, 2005

1. The meeting was called to order at 1:05 p.m. on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present except Senator Barbour.

2. Draft Minutes of Executive Committee Meetings #8, October 4, 2005, #9, October 11, 2005 and #10, October 18, 2005 were reviewed. It was agreed to wait for revisions before approving them.

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. Vice Chairperson Martin reported on the October 24, 2005 meeting of the Board of Governors, which she had attended along with Chairperson Rice. She said that of particular interest to URI, in addition to the recommendation to abolish programs that had been suspended for at least 10 years, were: 1) a report by Commissioner Warner indicating that the retention rate for first year students at URI and Rhode Island College was better than those of comparable institutions, and 2) the strong position taken by Mr. DiPrete, the chair of the Board of Governors Committee on Academic and Student Affairs, in support of graduate education.

b. The Executive Committee reviewed correspondence between Professor T. Mather, Chair of the Council for Research, and Provost Swan regarding Council for Research Grants Program. It was noted that the Provost had been very supportive in her reply to Professor Mather and had allocated an additional $20,000 to the $85,000 she had already committed to the program.

c. Ms. Grubman reported that the Alumni Association had asked the FSEC to appoint a faculty representative to a three-year term on the Alumni Association Executive Board beginning in the summer of 2006. Ms. Grubman said that she had asked the Alumni Association for a list of faculty members who were alumni that the FSEC might use to as they consider a possible appointee.

d. The Council of Deans Agenda for October 26, 2005 was circulated for information.

e. Ms. Grubman reminded the Executive Committee that Dr. Pedro Martinez, candidate for Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, was scheduled for an interview with the FSEC and the AAUPEC October 26 at 11:00 a.m. in the 3rd floor conference room in Green Hall.

4. The Executive Committee discussed Faculty Senate Meeting #2, which had been held on October 20, 2005.

They noted that Senator Kowalski's letter correcting the October 21 Cigar article was included in that day's Cigar as well as a correction by the Cigar editor. It was agreed that it was unfortunate that the Cigar reporter had not contacted Senator Kowalski, Chairperson Rice, or Ms. Black Grubman to verify information, which had resulted in a very misleading headline followed by an inaccurate article on the October 20 Faculty Senate Meeting.

The Executive Committee reviewed Senate Action #05-06--3, which referred the Student Senate Bill (SS-05-06-23) to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee for consideration.

Ms. Grubman reported that she had spoken to Ms. Cristin Langworthy, the Student Senator who had proposed SS-05-06-23 and had clarified for her the motion approved by the Senate. Ms. Grubman said that she had forwarded several copies of Action #05-06--3 for information.

Following discussion, it was agreed that the first step for the FSEC would be to learn more about the Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee's process, to which the student members had objected. Ms. Grubman was asked to invite Dean Cohen to their November 1 meeting and to request that she provide as much documentation as possible. It was also suggested that the FSEC might invite Ms. Langworthy to a subsequent meeting.

With regard to the State of the Budget address, it was noted that slide 13 did not report the FY07 request for Library personnel. Ms. Grubman agreed to ask Ms. Barrett for further information about the slide.

5. The Executive Committee reviewed the following matters that they had discussed with Provost Swan on October 18, 2005:

a. The On-Line Learning Committee: It was noted that this committee was one of the items that the AAUP EC wanted to discuss at their joint meeting on October 26 at 3:00 p.m. in AAUP Conference Room, 3rd floor, Roosevelt Hall. Ms. Grubman was asked to follow-up with Provost Swan about the proposed membership of the committee.

b. Assessment: The Executive Committee noted that the position on the Board of Governors Agenda was for a Director of Assessment. Ms. Grubman was asked to inquire of the Provost whether the position would be expanded to include assessment and institutional research as discussed previously.

Ms. Grubman reported that Professors Peters and Stevenson had agreed to report on the work of their subcommittee on assessment of general education to the UCGE Committee at the committee's November 3 meeting.

c. Discussion of procedures for the elimination of programs: Chairperson Rice reported on ongoing e-mail correspondence with Provost Swan about the Board of Governors mandate with regard to the abolition of suspended programs and the process outlined in sections 8.87.10-11 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL, which had not been employed since it was established in 1980-81

It was noted that the Board's procedures state that "if admission to a suspended program is not reopened during the specified time*, the RIBGHE must be asked to approve the abolition of the program or be notified of the reason for continued suspension."

The Executive Committee agreed that since all of the colleges had been given the opportunity to eliminate the suspended programs during the 2002-03 academic year, sufficient time had elapsed without the colleges' providing reasons to continue the suspended programs. It was agreed that in the future, when the Office of the Provost asks colleges and departments to consider the abolition of suspended programs, they be informed that if they want to contest the abolition, they must provide reasons for maintaining the program.

d. The Administrator Evaluation Process: The Executive Committee considered the possibility of recommending to the Provost that an ad hoc committee with representation from the Council of Deans draft a generic administrator evaluation form with items that each unit could individualize. This would be easier to administer and could be as often as once each academic year. This format would replace the current process where deans evaluations are delayed for several years because each evaluation is conducted by a special committee, takes as long as two years to develop and administer, and is limited to two evaluations each year because a larger number of evaluations would put an undue burden on the Faculty Senate Office.

Following discussion, Chairperson Rice agreed to ask that administrator evaluation be included as a topic for the FSEC's meeting with the AAUP.

6. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of continuing concern:

a. Administrative bottlenecks: The Executive Committee agreed to wait until after Ms. Morrissey's report to the JSPC on the progress of efforts to streamline and document administrative procedures before pursuing the matter further.

b. Academic Investment & Improvement Model (AIIM): Chairperson Rice reported that the AIIM process was underway. He explained that the graduate student assigned to the project was the only person who had the user names and passwords for faculty participants in the AIIM Survey.

c. Health Services: The Executive Committee discussed the issue of notes for students who were ill and agreed that the matter did not appear to be resolved as previously thought. The Executive Committee asked Chairperson Rice to write to Provost Swan and Vice President Dougan suggesting a compromise position between what Professor Wenisch requested and the Director of Health Services had agreed to do.

d. Committees:

1) Following discussion, Ms. Grubman agreed to draft for the Executive Committee's consideration a recommendation to eliminate the Advisory Committee on Resource Allocation (ACRA) and remove references to ACRA from the UNIVERSITY MANUAL.

2) Program Quality Review process: The Executive Committee reviewed a draft memorandum to the Constitution, By-Laws and University Manual Committee (CBUM) requesting a review of relevant sections of the University Manual on program quality review, including the possibility of establishing a Committee on the Academic Investment and Improvement Model (AIIM).

e. Survey of Faculty Concerns: It was agreed to invite Professor Costello to a meeting of the Executive Committee to discuss the possible use of the survey instrument that she had mentioned the previous spring.

7. Ms. Grubman reported that the Faculty Senate Office had received a resolution from the faculty of the University Libraries. It was agreed to attach the resolution with the Minutes of this meeting, to learn more about the reasons the resolution was forwarded to the Executive Committee. (See attached)

The meeting was adjourned at 3:10 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ATTACHMENT

The University of Rhode Island Library faculty at its October 7, 2005 meeting expressed concerns that the University of Rhode Island Development Office is not taking full advantage of the University's Libraries as an excellent resource for attracting individual and corporate donations, respectfully resolves the following suggestions:

Be It Resolved that the University of Rhode Island Administration search for a new Dean of Libraries through a national search and with the utmost speed that insures a quality pool of candidates for the position. Such candidates MUST demonstrate a thorough and complete understanding of fundraising for academic libraries, among other qualifications, as a basic requirement for employment.

Be It Resolved that the University of Rhode Island Administration and the University Development Office employ a full-time, experienced Development Officer whose exclusive responsibility is to raise donor funds, governmental and private grant money, and develop several categories of Friends of the Library to insure that the University Libraries attract donating partners to its continuing and successful efforts at expanding library holdings, technologies, and information/educational programs.

Be It Resolved that the University places the University of Rhode Island Libraries at the center of the current Annual Fund Drive, along with Athletics, and genuinely mounts a highly visible effort to attract funds for Library services expansion for the benefit of students, researchers, and alumni and staff even in the absence of a yet to be hired library-dedicated fundraiser.

For the University of Rhode Island Library Faculty:

Sarina R. Wyant
Secretary