Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting
October 9, 2009
- The meeting was called to order at 1:05 p.m. on Friday, October 9, 2009 in the President's Conference Room, Green Hall, Chairperson Swallow presiding. All members were present except Senator Eaton, who arrived at 1:50 p.m.
- The Minutes from FSEC Meeting #11, September 25, 2009 were approved.
- The Executive Committee thanked Senator Izenstark for her brief written summary of the October 5 meeting of the Board of Governors for Higher Education. Senator Izenstark, who had attended the meeting along with Chairperson Swallow, described the Board's actions with regard to the budgets of URI, RIC and CCRI, which led the board to increase tuition at all three institutions. In her report, she reported that both Board Chair Caprio and Governor Ryan had expressed their reluctance to increase tuition and had acknowledged that there didn't appear to be any other answer to the financial problems. They also noted that they understood the negative effect of the increases on accessibility to the three public institutions of higher education.
Chairperson Swallow said that President Dooley had emphasized in his report that without quality, accessibility and affordability didn't matter.
- The Executive Committee discussed correspondence from Professor Rosen regarding the appointment of faculty members to the Administrator Evaluation Committee for Dean Maslyn. They agreed that Professors Burkhardt, Larsen and Wyant should serve as the faculty appointees to the committee.
- The Executive Committee reviewed correspondence from Chairperson Swallow to Provost DeHayes about the budget and planning council proposal and the appointment of task forces to respond to goals of the academic plan.
Chairperson Swallow said that he had brief conversations with the Provost in passing, but that he hadn't received any formal response from Provost De Hayes. Chairperson Swallow said that he expected to discuss the matters with the Provost when he and Vice Chairperson Ordoñez meet with him on Tuesday morning.
- The Executive Committee also discussed a memorandum from Chairperson Swallow to President Dooley on the proposed budget and planning council. It was noted that the FSEC was scheduled to meet with President Dooley on Thursday, October 15. It was agreed that a proposal for legislation on the council would be the major topic at that time.
- The Executive Committee considered the following matters of continuing concern:
- Academic Plan: The Executive Committee noted that the deadline for providing input to the Provost about the draft academic plan was that afternoon. They agreed that it would be useful if they had an opportunity to look at a revised draft before meeting with the Provost on October 16.
It was the consensus of the Executive Committee that the Faculty Senate should have a role in establishing the task forces on the various goals in the academic plan. They agreed that if would be appropriate for some members of Faculty Senate committees related to the goals to participate in the Task Forces.
Senator Dicioccio gave a brief update on the group considering ways to modernize the general education program. She said that the group, which comprised members of the UCGE Committee, UCGE SAGE, Vice Provost Beauvais, Senator Honhart and herself, had begun to discuss preliminary plans for an initiative that could be accomplished for fall 2010 within the parameters of the General Education Program.
The Executive Committee discussed what might be an appropriate recommendation to the Faculty Senate with regard to the goals of the academic plan. There was general agreement that since the Senate would have to consider any recommendations that fall under its authority, a resolution might be all that would be needed.
- Budget and Planning Council: The Executive Committee discussed their draft proposal for legislation on the establishment of a Strategic Budget and Planning Council and agreed that it would be revised further and forwarded to the Provost for his Tuesday morning meeting with Chairperson Swallow and Vice Chairperson Ordoñez.
- Committees: The Executive Committee confirmed their decision via e-mail to permit Dr. Hubbard to serve as Dean Quina's designee to the UCGE Committee. They also discussed a possible chair and new member for the Library Committee in light of Professor Karno's resignation as chair of the committee.
With regard to the Admissions Advisory Committee, it was agreed to pursue further the committee's charge and membership given the new administrative structure of Admissions reporting to the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management.
Chairperson Swallow said that he planned to clarify the charge to the Academic Program Review Committee with Provost DeHayes before completing the appointments to the committee and providing them with direction.
- The Executive Committee decided to forward the revised draft legislation on the proposed Strategic Budgeting and Planning Council to President Dooley for discussion at their October 15 meeting.
- The Executive Committee agreed that their two topics for discussion with Provost DeHayes on October 16 should be the proposed Council and the Academic Plan.
- The Executive Committee discussed the draft Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #2, October 22, 2009. It was agreed that they would wait until their meetings with President Dooley and Provost DeHayes before agreeing to it in final form. Ms. Grubman said that she would post the Agenda after their meeting on October 16.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:35 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman