Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting
October 16, 2009 and October 19, 2009
- The meeting was called to order at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, October 16, 2009 in the President's Conference Room, Green Hall, Chairperson Swallow presiding. All members were present.
- Provost DeHayes and Vice Provost Beauvais met with the FSEC from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m. The following matters were discussed:
- Strategic Budget and Planning Committee: The Executive Committee reviewed with Provost DeHayes proposed modifications to the charge to and membership of the Strategic Budget and Planning committee as revised in consultation with President Dooley the previous afternoon.
- Academic Plan: The Executive Committee reported that they intended to introduce a resolution to support the Academic Plan at the October 22 Faculty Senate meeting. It was agreed to add a series of "Whereas statements" to the resolution providing background and explaining the reasons for recommending that the Faculty Senate endorse the goals of the academic plan.
It was agreed that the members of the FSEC working with Vice Provost Beauvais and Ms. Morrissey would begin to draft the charges to and consider possible members for the various task forces associated with the goals of the Academic Plan. It was suggested that some of the faculty members who attended the January Academic Summit might be invited to participate in the Task Forces. It was noted that the group working on general education chaired by Senator DiCioccio would continue to work toward a proposal about a freshman year initiative for Fall 2010.
- After Provost DeHayes and Vice Provost Beauvais left the room, the Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #2, October 22, 2009 and approved it for distribution. The FSEC agreed that the resolution in support of the academic plan's goals should be posted on the Faculty Senate's website on Monday morning. The Agenda to be posted that afternoon would mention, but not include, the text of the resolution.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:30 p.m. and reconvened on Monday, October 19 at 8:30 a.m. to discuss the charge to and membership of the Strategic Budget and membership with President Dooley and Provost DeHayes. All members were present except Senators Honhart and DiCioccio.
By the conclusion of the meeting it was decided that the agreed-upon charge to and membership of the proposed SPBC would be posted on the Faculty Senate's website and that President Dooley would discuss the proposed Strategic Budget and Planning Committee as part of the President's Report at the October 22, Faculty Senate meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 a.m.
Sheila Black Grubman