MINUTES

 

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting #15 - October 27, 2010

 

1.         The meeting was called to order at 10:00 on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 in the second floor conference room in the Alumni Center, Chairperson Swallow presiding.  All members were present. In Ms. Black Grubman’s absence, Senator Ciccomascolo agreed to take the Minutes,

 

2.   The minutes from the previous Executive Committee meetings were pending and were not reviewed at this meeting.

 

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

 

a.   Chairperson Swallow announced that the FSEC needed a list of administrators for whom administrator evaluations will be required.

 

b.   Chairperson Swallow reminded fellow FSEC members of the meeting with Senator Sandy Hicks, in her capacity as UCGE chair, later that would take place on October 27, 2010 at 3:00 in Library Conference Room B to discuss the UCGE transition model.

 

c.   Chairperson Swallow asked if a FSEC member could attend a meeting that would take place on November 2, 2010 regarding the HERI survey as he would be unable to attend. Senator Larsen offered to attend in his absence. Members of the FSEC had some questions regarding the survey that focused on implementation of the survey, the goal of the survey, the possibility of reviewing the 20 additional questions that will added to this survey, measures taken to assure confidentiality of responses, and who will get the reports of survey results.

 

d.   The FSEC discussed their meeting with the NEASC reviewers.  There was a lunch scheduled from 12:00-1:30 at the University Club for members of a number of committees and their respective chairs and members.  A meeting with the FSEC was scheduled the same day between 1:30-2:30 at the University Club as well.   Senator Barbour suggested that FSEC members read the NEASC report on the Provost’s website prior to the meeting.

 

4.  The FSEC followed up on the Faculty Senate meeting that took place on Thursday, October 21, 2010.  The FSEC members were pleased with the level of response related to the discussion of the possibility of restructuring faculty senate officer positions.  The FSEC recommended the creation of a Sakai site to continue the discussion of this topic. Senator Eaton offered to take the lead on the creation of this site.  Further review of the October 21, 2010 FS meeting included the acknowledgment of the approval of the Health Studies program and Confucius Institute reports. Finally, FSEC members, in late January or early February will create an email to remind Deans of their respective colleges to follow the appropriate faculty senator election procedures.

 

5.   The FSEC considered the following matter remaining from 2009-2010:

 

a.   Policy for reviewing non-Research Centers: The FSEC will ask the CBUM committee to draft a policy for review of non-Research Centers early in the spring semester.

 

b.   Teaching Effectiveness Committee (TEC)-IDEA survey: Senator Ciccomascolo and Professor Kinnie, chair of the TEC, met with Associate Provost Beauvais to discuss the creation of a survey regarding the IDEA.  The goal of the survey would be to gauge whether faculty need help in the implementing the IDEA and interpreting the final scores and how to help the faculty if the results report a need to do so. The survey will be sent via Survey Monkey during the spring semester. The TEC will meet in the near future to discuss the appropriate questions that will appear on the survey and will send them to the FSEC and AAUP for review. The FSEC endorsed this idea from the TEC.

 

6.   Chairperson Swallow communicated the dates of the future visits with President Dooley and

Provost DeHayes, which were December 15, 2010 and November 17, 2010, respectively.  It was

noted that President Dooley’s November 3, 2010 meeting with the FSEC was cancelled and

Chairperson Swallow suggested that the FSEC ask President Dooley to schedule a meeting prior to

the December 15, 2010 meeting.

 

a.   The FSEC suggested that one of the items on the agenda for their meeting with President Dooley should be the Board of Governors’ Strategic Plan that was scheduled for discussion at an earlier meeting with the President but did not occur due to time constraints.

 

b.   Senator Eaton suggested that an agenda item for the FSEC meeting with Provost DeHayes include a discussion of the future “Gateway and Mapping” task force and the necessity of this group being created as a task force instead of as a “trouble-shooting group.”

 

7. Chairperson Swallow asked the FSEC to review a draft letter that the chairperson of the APRC intends on sending to department chairs regarding the Annual Central Data Report (ACDR).  Chairperson Swallow recommended that the ACDR letter to chairs be endorsed (signed) by the chairperson of APRC, the APRC committee, Chairperson Swallow, and Provost DeHayes.  The FSEC supported Chairperson Swallow’s recommendation.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 12:05 pm.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Lori E. Ciccomascolo