1. The meeting was called to order at 1:05 p.m. on Tuesday, December 6, 2005 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present except Senator Barbour.
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meetings #15, November 22, 2005 and #16, November 29, 2005 were approved
a. The Executive Committee discussed a December 3, 2005 memorandum from Professor Arakelian raising additional concern about on-line instruction and the On-line Learning Committee. Chairperson Rice agreed to draft a response acknowledging Professor Arakalian's concerns and informing him that some of his concerns would be addressed by the CAC's subcommittee on Methods of Instruction as well as by the faculty members on the On-Line Learning Committee
b. The Agenda for the December 12, 2005 meeting of the Board of Governors was circulated for information. Chairperson Rice and Vice Chairperson Martin agreed to attend the meeting on behalf of the Faculty Senate.
c. The Council of Deans' Agenda for December 7, 2005 was circulated for information.
d. Chairperson Rice confirmed with the Executive Committee that their first spring semester meeting was scheduled for Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 1:00 p.m.
4. The Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #4, December 8, 2005. It was agreed that they would ask Provost Swan to provide the Senate with an update on a number of outstanding issues as part of Chairperson Rice's announcements.
5. Matters of Continuing Concern:
a. Ad Hoc Committee on Early Course Registration Policy: The Executive Committee reviewed a draft charge to the ad hoc committee and discussed possible membership. Chairperson Rice said that he would discuss the draft and possible membership with Professor Ramstad when they meet later that week.
b. Administrative bottlenecks: The Executive Committee reviewed their draft list and agreed to continue to refine it at their next meeting
c. Academic Investment & Improvement Model (AIIM): Chairperson Rice said that Ms. Morrissey was in the process of scheduling a meeting of the AIIM working group (Chairperson Rice, Vice Chairperson Martin, Senator Boudreaux-Bartels, Assistant Provost Katz and Ms. Morrissey) with President Carothers once the AIIM Surveys were completed.
Chairperson Rice and Ms. Grubman reported on the November 30 meeting of the Constitution, By-Laws and Manual Committee with Chairperson Rice, Senator Boudreaux-Bartels and Ms. Grubman. They distributed a preliminary draft of Manual sections to replace the current sections on Program Quality Review and asked the members of the Executive Committee to review the draft proposal and provide comments and suggestions during the upcoming week.
d. URI 101: The Executive Committee reviewed a draft memorandum to the UCGE Committee requesting a review of URI 101. Ms. Grubman agreed to redraft the memorandum based on the Executive Committee's suggestions.
6. The Executive Committee agreed to the following list of topics for their December 13, 2005 meeting with Provost Swan:
a. Planning for the occasions when classes are scheduled for state holidays
b. Better coordination of efforts regarding Administrator Evaluation
c. Appointment/Scholarship position in Honors
d. Update on Administrative Searches
e. On-Line Learning Committee
f. Review of URI 101
7. Ms. Grubman asked everyone to return their spring 2006 calendars in order to try to arrange for an Executive Committee meeting schedule for the spring.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:10 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)