Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting #17 – November 10, 2010
1. The meeting was called to order at 11:00 a.m. in the second floor conference room in the Alumni Center, Chairperson Swallow presiding. All members were present except Senator Larsen.
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meetings #11, September 29, 2010 and #13, October 13, 2010 were approved.
3. Chairperson Swallow reported that he had attended the November 8, 2010 Meeting of the Board of Governors. He noted that Provost DeHayes said that the University was down about 100 undergraduates from the previous fall. Chairperson Swallow said that President Dooley was positive about state support for Higher Education demonstrated by voters passing Question #2 on the Bond Issue. Chairperson Swallow also noted that it had been reported that the Rhode Island System of Public Higher Education was comprised of 20% minority students and that Chairperson Caprio had announced he would step down in January.
4. The Executive Committee reviewed their upcoming meetings:
a. Chairperson Swallow reminded the members of the Executive Committee that Dean Zawia was scheduled to meet with them at 12:30 p.m. to discuss the Proposal for Graduate Program in Interdisciplinary Neurosciences.
b. The Executive Committee discussed possible topics for their November 17 meeting with Provost DeHayes.
c. Chairperson Swallow reminded the FSEC that their meeting with President Dooley had been rescheduled for Monday, November 22 at 11:00 a.m.
d. The Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting # 3, November 18, 2010 and approved it in final form. They agreed to encourage Senators to participate in the discussion of possible restructuring of the Senate on the Senate’s Sakai discussion site in preparation for the meeting.
5. Vice Chairperson Eaton reported that Student Senate President David Coates had contacted her about the recent Four Loko ban that was put in effect by the Division of Student Affairs. The Dean of Students amended the handbook to add the section:
2.25 Banned Alcoholic Beverages
b. Stimulant enhanced alcoholic beverages.
Stimulant enhanced alcoholic beverages are
prohibited on campus (e.g. Four Loko, Joose, 24/7, Torque).
Mr. Coates said that he had spoken with both Dr. Pina and Vice President Dougan on the matter. They had said that they had followed the established practice for amending the Student Handbook between the biennial meetings of the Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee.
Vice Chairperson Eaton said she spoke to Vice President Dougan to about the matter and he informed her about the precedent.
6. Dean Zawia and Professor Kass-Simon joined the Executive Committee at 12:30 p.m. The proposal for a graduate program in Interdisciplinary Neurosciences was discussed.
Dean Zawia and Professor Kass-Simon provided background for the decision to propose the degree and responded to questions from members of the Executive Committee. Dean Zawia said that he hoped the Graduate Council would act on the proposal in time to be included on the Agenda for the December Faculty Senate meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:50 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman