1. The meeting was called to order at 3: 10 p.m. on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 in the President's Conference Room in Green Hall, Chairperson Martin presiding. All members were present.
2. The Executive Committee was brought up-to-date on the following matters of continuing concern:
a. The Presidential Search: Members of the FSEC who attended the open meeting with representatives from the search firm Isaacson, Miller on February reported on the discussions they had observed.
b. JSPC: The Executive Committee agreed that they would raise the following issues under faculty concerns:
1) How will the Provost prioritize his spending for Academic Affairs for the spring of 2009, assuming that there is any money left after final decisions are made by the legislature?
2) Do we have any idea what the Smart Money article used for data, and are we following up to see what it is that we did well so that we can capitalize on these activities?
c. Blue Ribbon Study Commission: Ms. Grubman reported that the Blue Ribbon Commission was comprised of the following members:
Chairperson Martin reported that the Blue Ribbon Commission had met for the first time the previous Friday afternoon. She said that some concerns had been raised by faculty members on the Commission about the significantly narrowed focus of the charge. She said that she planned to discuss faculty concerns about the Commission's charge with Dr. Harris later in the week.
d. Talent Development: Chairperson Martin reported on correspondence with Vice President Dougan, who had suggested that the FSEC ask institutional research for the data on TD students.
e. The Freshman Year Experience: Ms. Grubman distributed materials on Freshmen Orientation that had been provided by Dean Richmond. It was agreed to review the materials for a discussion at their next meeting.
f. Faculty Forum: It was agreed that the format for the second forum should be somewhat different from the first. This time, Dr. Bette Erickson will serve as a facilitator for the discussion. In addition, light refreshments would be available in the room from the beginning of the session rather than holding a reception after the forum. Ms. Grubman said that the small Faculty Senate account in the URI Foundation should cover the expenses.
3. The Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #5, February 19, 2009 in preparation of the meeting later that week.
Chairperson Martin said that at the request of Vice President Dougan she would remind the Senate about the establishment last year of a committee to address the needs of student veterans and invite interested faculty members to participate.
4. The Executive Committee discussed their upcoming meeting with President Carothers on February 24. They agreed to ask the President to focus on the stimulus package and ask for his understanding of how it affects higher education in Rhode Island, especially URI.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
CURRICULAR MEMORANDUM 2012-2013 Revised curricular procedures