Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #21

February 15, 2007

1. The meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, February 15, 2007, in the Provost's conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present.

2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #20, February 8, 2007 were approved as amended.

3. Announcements/Correspondence

a. Chairperson Rice noted that the Executive Committee had received the Agenda for the February 14 Meeting of the Council of Deans by e-mail and asked if there were any items the committee wanted to discuss. There were none.

b. Chairperson Rice reported that President Carothers had forwarded letter of intent signed the President to the American College and University Presidents Climate Committee. This letter was in support of the goals of committee with respect to climate change.

4. Ms. Grubman reported that since there were no concerns or objections by the FSEC she had forwarded the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #5, February 22, 2007 to Printing Services earlier in the week.

5. Update on continuing issues

a. Section 8.26.13 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL: The Executive Committee discussed suggestions made by Professor Spaulding and Ombud Rose with regard to clarifying the grade appeals legislation. It was agreed to discuss this issue further with the Provost before meeting with Professor Boulmetis, Chair of the Academic Standards and Calendar Committee on possible revisions to the grade appeals process that had been approved by the senate in the spring of 2006.

b. JSPC: The Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for that afternoon's JSPC Meeting. Senator Barbour indicated that she was teaching at that time and would be unable to attend most of the JSPC Meetings scheduled for the spring semester.

When Provost Swan arrived at 10:00 a.m. the Executive Committee moved directly to item 6 on their Agenda.

6. Provost Swan met with the Executive committee from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. The following items were considered at that time:

a. The Executive Committee and Provost Swan discussed the new grade appeals process (8.26.13 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL) and expressed their concerns about improving the process. They asked for the Provost's advice with regard to possible modifications and agreed that the process was very useful and only needed minor modifications to improve its implementation.

b. The Executive Committee urged Provost Swan to help get the Online Learning Committee to begin meeting on a regular basis. They noted that there were a number of policy issues that should be discussed by the Committee as soon as possible in light of the continuing expansion of online instruction at the University. They expressed concern about the committee's difficulty in getting together since it was established but noted that a second meeting of the 2006-07 academic year had been scheduled for March 8. Provost Swan said that she would discuss the FSEC's concerns with Vice Provost Pasquerella who co-chaired the committee with Vice Provost Bozylinsky.

Vice Chairperson Luebke reported that the majority of online courses that were taught in the summer of 2006 had been approved for summer 2007 by the CAC or were on the Agenda for the next CAC Meeting. She said that the Provost's concern that there would be a shortage of approved online courses for summer 2007 seemed unlikely.

Ms. Grubman and Vice Chairperson Luebke said that scheduling for summer session should not be separated from scheduling of courses for the regular semesters and urged that Enrollment Services be the only department responsible for course scheduling.

c. In response to questions from the Executive Committee, Provost Swan reported on the establishment of a Search Committee for the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management. She said that Ms. Morrissey had agreed to chair the committee and that she believed the first meeting had already been scheduled. Provost Swan noted that the job description for the position has been approved and indicated that she was hopeful that the advertisement for the position would be published as soon as possible.

d. The Executive Committee reported that Chairperson Rice and Senators Kinnie and Miller had agreed to serve as the three members of the Executive Committee on the proposed Ad Hoc Committee on sections 8.97.10 and 8.87.11 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL. Provost Swan said that Vice Provost Pasquerella would be her nominee. It was noted that the only remaining member of the committee to be appointed was President Carothers' designee.

When Provost Swan left the meeting the Executive Committee resumed their regular order of business with item 5, c.

5. c. Accreditation: Senator Kowalski announced that Senator Barbour had graciously agreed to join Dean Beckman and himself in working with the Provost on drafting the NEASC Self-Study. He indicated that among the major themes of the self-study would be efforts to improve assessment of academic programs, the improvement in planning activities at URI and a process, possibly through the JSPC, for evaluating institutional effectiveness.

d. Providence Campus Initiative Committee: Ms. Grubman said that she had hoped to report on the PCUIC's February 14 meeting, but unfortunately the meeting had been cancelled because of the poor weather conditions.

7. Senator Barbour reported on efforts by the Ad Hoc Student Learning Improvement Assessment Advisory Committee to draft a proposal for the establishment of a standing joint committee on outcomes assessment. She distributed copies of a draft proposal dated February 14, 2007 and asked the Executive Committee to review the draft for the following meeting at which time she hoped the FSEC would discuss the proposed charge, membership and approval process for establishing a new standing committee to replace the ad hoc committee.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:35 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman



Sheila Black Grubman

Faculty Outstanding Award

2015 Notice and Criteria



University Libraries LibGuides