Minutes

 

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting #21 – December 1, 2010

 

1      The meeting was called to order at 10:10 a.m. on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 in the second floor conference room in the Alumni Center, Chairperson

Swallow presiding.  All members were present.  In Ms. Black Grubman’s absence, Ms. Orabone took minutes of the meeting.

 

2       The minutes from the November 22 meeting with President Dooley were approved, pending President Dooley’s review of them.

 

3       Announcements/Correspondence

 

a.     Ms. Orabone announced that there would be interviews scheduled for the Director of SLOAA search on December 13, 14 and 16.  She will send the resumes and schedule to everyone when she receives them.

 

b.     Senator Ciccomascolo reported that she had received a request from the Alumni Committee to recommend a faculty member, who is an alumnus, to serve on the committee.  The FSEC discussed some options.

 

4       The Executive Committee discussed the agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #4, December 16, 2010.  A presentation on terms of office for senate leaders was discussed.

 

5       The Executive Committee discussed what Chairperson Swallow and Vice Chair Eaton would talk about during their next meeting with President Dooley.  They decided that they would give President Dooley some feedback on the draft of his strategic priorities, which he presented to the FSEC during their last meeting together.   Of specific interest was to clarify his idea on reallocation of personnel via a venture capital fund.

 

6       Committees

 

a.     LOOC – Senator Barbour announced that the committee was moving ahead on a charge to create a process for new academic program learning outcome assessment.

 

b.     UCGE – Senator Larsen said that there is overlap with the Task Force on General Education (Grand Challenges) in terms of membership.  He suggested that the FSEC should create a charge for this General Education Task Force and ask Professor DiCioccio to visit FSEC for a report on the Grand Challenge.  The Executive Committee continued discussion on the Grand Challenge courses.

 

7       The Executive Committee discussed the following ongoing matters:

 

Vice Chairperson Eaton reported that the JCAP Subcommittee on Task Force review had discussed the formation of a committee for online distance learning.   The options of whether it should be a Senate or a Joint Committee were discussed.

 

The Executive Committee discussed the HERI Survey.  The discussion involved whether they should have a joint statement from the Provost’s Office and the FSEC stating that they were involved in the process of writing the letter.  The decided that it should say, “We encourage you to take the survey”, rather than give our endorsement.

 

8       Unfinished Business:

 

a.     Chairperson Swallow indicated that he and Vice Chair Eaton would be attending the Council for Research meeting this afternoon to help move the IP Revenue policy forward.

  

b.     The Executive Committee agreed to resolve the issue of finding a new chair for the Senate Library Committee. 

 

c.  The Executive Committee agreed to draft a statement proposing the idea of putting more weight on faculty service and outreach in promotion and tenure
decisions.  Senator Ciccomascolo said she would draft a statement and discuss it with fellow FSEC members as well as AAUP members. When reviewed and revised
by the appropriate parties, the FSEC will discuss the statement with Provost DeHayes.  Senator Honhart will send the AAUP contract language to the FSEC
members regarding service in order to ensure that our statement is inline with the AAUP contract.

 

The meeting adjourned at 12:00 p.m.

 

                                                Respectfully submitted,

                                                Eileen Orabone