Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #22

February 22, 2007

1. The meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, February 22, 2007, in the Provost's conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present.

2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #21, February 15, 2007 were approved.

3. Announcements/Correspondence

a. Chairperson Rice announced that he had attended a meeting the previous afternoon of the people that had been called together by Ms. Morrissey to follow up on classroom issues. He said that the working group had reacted positively to the proposed Joint Classroom Steering Committee recommended by the FSEC in their 06-07-4 Report and had suggested a few editorial changes to reflect administrative titles and offices. Chairperson Rice also noted that the group hoped that the Faculty Senate would appoint faculty to the committee as soon as it becomes official.

b. Chairperson Rice reported that President Carothers had indicated that he plans to introduce a resolution on H5230 at that afternoon's Senate meeting. He said that copies of the proposed legislation would be available at the meeting.

c. Vice Chairperson Luebke reported that, as Chair of the Athletics Advisory Board, she had written to President Carothers requesting on behalf of the Board an exception for the Men's Crew Team to permit participation in Dad Vail Regatta during the final exam period. She said that the recommendation was in accordance with sections 8.541.30-31 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL, which also required that the FSEC be informed of all such requests.

4. The Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #5, in preparation for the meeting that afternoon.

5. Update on continuing issues

a. Section 8.26.13 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL: The Executive Committee agreed to meet with Professor Boulmetis, Chair of the Academic Standards and Calendar Committee, on possible revisions to the grade appeals process that had been approved by the Faculty Senate in the spring of 2006.

b. JSPC: The Executive Committee discussed the February 15 JSPC Meeting. Senator Kowalski noted that his proposal that the JSPC become the official body to oversee institutional effectiveness appeared to have been well received by the Committee.

It was agreed that Ms. Grubman would draft a proposed revision to the charge of the JSPC to address the issue of overseeing institutional effectiveness, which was part of each of the NEASC standards.

c. Recommendations of the Ad Hoc Student Learning Improvement Assessment Advisory Committee: The Executive Committee discussed the proposal drafted by the SLIAAC subcommittee and approved by the entire committee to replace the ad hoc committee with a permanent joint Learning Outcomes Oversight Committee.

It was agreed that Ms. Grubman would draft a recommendation for the establishment of the joint committee based on the Executive Committee's discussion of the proposal and would forward it to the members of the FSEC for review. It was further agreed that Senator Barbour would also share the draft with the SLIAAC Subcommittee that had made the original proposal.

d. Online courses: Vice Chairperson Luebke reported that the majority of courses taught online in the summer 2006 which were intended for the summer 2007 as well had either been approved or were on the CAC's Agenda for February 26. She said that several courses not taught online in 2006 had also been approved.

Vice Chairperson Luebke indicated that only three courses taught in 2006 and scheduled for 2007 had not been submitted for review along with approximately six courses, which had not been taught, but were scheduled for summer 2007.

Following discussion, the Executive Committee directed Vice Chairperson Luebke to contact Provost Swan and request that she instruct the responsible individual to immediately "zero out" enrollments for the nine online courses that haven't been submitted for review. Further to ask that the Provost instruct Vice Provost Pasquerella to communicate with these faculty that if their courses are submitted to the CAC for consideration at its March 26 meeting, they could be re-opened for enrollment once they have been approved for online offering

e. Accreditation: Senator Kowalski said that he intended to inform the Senate that afternoon about the possibility of amending the charge to the JSPC to specify that the committee be given formal responsibility for evaluating institutional effectiveness.

After discussion, the FSEC agreed that in light of issues related to planning identified in the accreditation self-study, they would request that Ms. Morrissey report to the JSPC on how the AIIM has been used to inform decision-making with regard to setting priorities. In addition, the FSEC agreed that it was time to appoint the membership of the Academic Program Review Committee (see sections 5.86.10-11 and 8.86.10-14 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL), which had been established to improve/replace the AIIM model.

f. Review of URI 101: The Executive Committee discussed the draft survey intended for academic department chairpersons that had been prepared by the UCGE subcommittee to review URI 101 and made suggestions for revising the draft and for the procedure for obtaining responses to the survey.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman